U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

9,555 posts, read 5,920,952 times

Advertisements

Hi Nutmegger's!

Almost a year since we moved from CT to NC.

Will say with COVID limited us in what we can do in regards to activities in the state. Also financial woes.

With that said not a bashing of either states just looking at personal comparisons so far of both states.

Will say my Wife and I do miss New England in general. We miss the fall weather and activities that follow. We don't miss Winter. We experience some freezing rain and ice down here. Fellow colleagues at work do say in a blue moon a winter storm can blow in 12 feet or more of snow but gone in a week even days normally. Get some ice storms. Weather rarely drops below 32 degrees in the Winter. For majority can wear shorts almost year round so that's a plus.

Do miss being a drive away from the Sound and the Ocean. Miss seafood and lobster rolls.

Living in the country outside a city of close to 500,000 people now. Initially moved to Charlotte was too big and too crowded for our likings. Still getting a feel for the town currently living in. Has every box store you need. Also local shops. Does seem to have a small town feel to it which is something we miss about Connecticut.

Job market in my Wife's and I field of healthcare is great jobs a plenty. Wasn't an issue up North too much. Wife is an LPN working in a hospital. I work as a tech in the mental health field behavioral health is surprisingly has some large units/stand alone hospitals down here always looking for staff. Pay wise hasn't been too bad. Was about close to $8 cut in pay for me first job I took and now about $6 cut in pay an hour. With CT I worked on the "Gold Coast" so pay was slightly higher. In my field of work comparing pay here to rest of CT no difference at all.

Cost of gas and goods is slightly less we have noticed. Also able to work close to work so gas mileage has dropped drastically less stress on the wallet.

Rent seems to be the same for most of CT. $800 to $1000 here be able to rent a 1 bedroom. $1000-$1300 for a 2 bed unit. $1200-$1600 for a 3 bed unit. Was slightly expensive in Charlotte paid close to $1.5K for a 2 bed unit similiar to New Haven/Bridgeport area.

Lot more higher education opportunities. Programs are part time, full time, and applying to programs for most programs is every semester. Wife applied to 1 LPN to RN program she plans on applying to more for next year. Also BSN to LPN programs and Paramedic to BSN program. Cost of higher education for 1 full time semester about $600-$800 at the community college. About $3K to $4K at the 4 year public colleges so does help with the wallet. Many employer's offer about $1.5K to $3K in tuition reimbursement so very helpful.

Roads are great. Highways are four to six lanes wide. Drivers seem the same as CT though LoL. DMV here is more of a headache then up North. Have inspections and have to obtain your registration at another location than your license.

Car taxes are less than CT. Property taxes are less than CT. Sales tax could be higher depending on which county you are shopping in.

Education is a mix bag some good some bad. Seems like that anywhere.

So much to do so close by. Arcades, playgrounds, greenways, parks, and hiking & fishing spots.

Comparing home prices can buy a 4 bed with 2 to 3 baths for under $400,000 which we all can agree is a rarity on Connecticut.

Will say my Wife and I agree we do miss Connecticut for the rolling country, the small towns, the ocean, and the food.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

4,587 posts, read 3,717,414 times
Pay cut sounds like a good deal to me. Where can I sign up?

Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM

25,778 posts, read 10,607,357 times
Sounds like a very good year for you, OP, considering the covid affect on your field. Wish you the best always. Very good summary.

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

30,193 posts, read 47,560,787 times
I’m confused. You say that rents are the same as Connecticut outside Fairfield County (where you used to live) and you’ve taken a pay cut. How are you doing better? You don’t pay property taxes if you are renting and other taxes are basically the same. You are actually paying taxes on groceries which you didn’t pay here. Maybe I’m missing something but it sounds to me that you are doing worse financially.

Also have you’ve been back to Connecticut since you moved? I remember you had a lot of close family here. How much did it cost you to travel and how much vacation time has that eaten up? This was one of the things people I know that moved didn’t account for in their decision. It’s pricey to travel and you lose a lot of precious vacation time you could have used for other things. Jay

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Haven't visited at all due to cost. Hope to down the road. Some family has moved down here and others plan to eventually. Do have some family in Virginia and South Carolina as well.

Yes with cost of living not being very different, will agree, there has been some advantages that do keep us here. Mainly cost of higher education, higher education opportunities, home property cost, job opportunities, and proximity of work to where you live.

Funny you mention being better off. We say a few times if all that I just mentioned in the last paragraph wasn't here we would definitely move back to Connecticut.

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

Job market in my Wife's and I field of healthcare is great jobs a plenty. Wasn't an issue up North too much. Wife is an LPN working in a hospital. I work as a tech in the mental health field behavioral health is surprisingly has some large units/stand alone hospitals down here always looking for staff. P

. In my field of work comparing pay here to rest of CT no difference at all.

Rent seems to be the same for most of CT. $800 to $1000 here be able to rent a 1 bedroom. $1000-$1300 for a 2 bed unit. $1200-$1600 for a 3 bed unit. Was slightly expensive in Charlotte paid close to $1.5K for a 2 bed unit similar to New Haven/Bridgeport area.

Lot more higher education opportunities. Programs are part time, full time, and applying to programs for most programs is every semester. Wife applied to 1 LPN to RN program she plans on applying to more for next year. Also BSN to LPN programs and Paramedic to BSN program.

Car taxes are less than CT. Property taxes are less than CT. Sales tax could be higher depending on which county you are shopping in.

Your wife will thrive there. Opportunities are what matter most.

Where did you find rents so low in Ct? Northeast? $1,000-$1,300 will not get a studio apartment in safe Ct area. Much less 2 bedrooms.

I did know car and property taxes would be giant savings. It should save you, at median levels, 2.37% of your gross income. Essentially, at a average of 70% net to gross, 2.37% net is 1.5 extra weeks of pay not seized for state and local taxes. (52*2.37% gap) /1.4 (as most folks need $1.40 gross to recover $1 net).

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

Your tax freedom day is now 2 weeks earlier than Connecticut's. Here we work 1/1-4/25 just to pay taxes.

https://taxfoundation.org/publications/tax-freedom-day/

Much continued success always, OP.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; Yesterday at 12:20 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Your wife will thrive there. Opportunities are what matter most.

Where did you find rents so low in Ct? Northeast? $1,000-$1,300 will not get a studio apartment in sa fe Ct area. Much less 2 bedrooms.

I did know car and property taxes would be giant savings. It should save you, at median levels, 2.37% of your gross income. Essentially, at a average of 70% net to gross, 2.37% net is 1.5 extra weeks of pay not seized for state and local taxes.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494
In NC can't tax car over $250 a year believe.

Agree with rent. We lived in Waterbury area I commuted to Bridgeport area 4 to 5 days a week for about 6 years. We paid a little over $1300 for a 2 bed 1 bath unit. Think the 2 bed 2 bath unit was $1400 plus. We are paying slightly higher rent here due to wanting vinyl floors with the dogs & baby.

Yes opportunities are great. They phased LPNs out down here in hospitals for the most part. Just brought them back in at a local hospital. My Wife has 4 years to obtain her associates degree and another 2 for her BSN. They have six 1 year LPN to RN programs to apply to. Plus an online LPN to BSN program. Also an online LPN to RN program one of the community colleges runs down here.

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
In NC can't tax car over $250 a year believe.

Agree with rent. We lived in Waterbury area I commuted to Bridgeport area 4 to 5 days a week for about 6 years. We paid a little over $1300 for a 2 bed 1 bath unit. Think the 2 bed 2 bath unit was $1400 plus. We are paying slightly higher rent here due to wanting vinyl floors with the dogs & baby.

Yes opportunities are great. They phased LPNs out down here in hospitals for the most part. Just brought them back in at a local hospital. My Wife has 4 years to obtain her associates degree and another 2 for her BSN. They have six 1 year LPN to RN programs to apply to. Plus an online LPN to BSN program. Also an online LPN to RN program one of the community colleges runs down here.
$250 is a proper cap. Anything above that is robbery.

The 2.37% taxation gap on gross is HUGE. Every $45k of family gross-that is $1k LESS in state and local total taxation.

I am delighted this move helped you immensely. Opportunities while young are the most important thing, along with COL control. You now have both. That is a blessing.

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

18,630 posts, read 22,471,075 times
Glad you’re happy there.

Couldn’t pay me to move to NC, but I do like visiting parts. Didn’t like Charlotte at all. No soul. Wilmington and Asheville are cool.

My field is terrible down there, so I’m limited to where I can move anyway unless I could land a remote gig. I would probably take a 50% pay cut for an in person job there.

But I’m just not a fan of humidity in general so no desire to move south. Also love the proximity to so many things we have here.

I do love cities like Savannah and Charleston, to visit.

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

But I’m just not a fan of humidity in general so no desire to move south.
I know it is warmer on average down there, but wish you did not say humidity this week. Did our entire state drift south this week? Can't wait until mid fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut