Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 08:07 AM

40 posts, read 9,942 times

Advertisements

I am considering purchasing a weekend country getaway in CT. I own a business and live on LI. While ideally I would live year round in CT, my business on LI requires too much of a physical presence. As a compromise, I would like to buy something that I can escape to 3 weekends per year plus have as a base for CT fun and visits (we have family in Southbury and Fairfield). I am looking for something different than LI, so I am not looking at the coast. Also, not looking at the eastern part of the state right now for commuting reasons. I went to school in the western part of the state, and am most familiar with it. I probably would want to avoid the somewhat higher taxes in Fairfield Co. but being from LI and I am already used to high taxes. I am thinking Litchfield Co and northern New Haven County. My wants are: privacy--2-4 acres with a house set back from the road and surrounded by trees; house doesn't have to be especially large but I do like classic NE colonials; small town vibe (so not thinking towns like Danbury). Towns I already like are Newtown (I know, Fairfield Co), Southbury, Woodbury, Oxford, Roxbury (but probably too pricey). I don't want to break the bank, as I will be carrying two homes. I am willing to sacrifice some features in the house figuring I can always upgrade with projects down the line. Property and location are key. Any suggestions, thoughts, recommendations, dangers? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 08:24 AM

21,797 posts, read 28,179,019 times
Taxes in CT are on a town by town basis. It has nothing to do with the county like in NY. Fairfield County towns vary widely in taxes. Some are very low, some are high. It’s set by the mill rate. Just like the rest of the state. “Higher taxes in Fairfield Co.” is a false statement.

The towns you’ve considered are good. If you don’t care about schools you can find some bargains in the valley. Look at Seymour and Beacon Falls. Bethany is a good option too.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:31 AM

Thank you Stylo. I did not know that about CT taxes. What is the mill rate? Do you know of any examples in Fairfield Co. that match the general description of the type of towns I would prefer that have less expensive taxes?
I have given consideration to Bethany and Seymour and they are on the list. I did not know about Beacon Falls, so I will look into that.

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2024, 08:58 AM

6,969 posts, read 3,793,544 times
I'd go further up near and around Litchfield the town. It's prettier, more New Englandish and less warehousey looking, and fewer loud muffler cars than the Seymour Route 8 area. Figure New Milford/Sherman and up.
Like Stylo said, County in CT means nothing.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:06 AM

Great input, Steve. Thank you. I think I know what you mean about the loud mufflers around Rte 8. I do like the more up north areas like Litchfield. What about Bethlehem, Sharon or Washington? I seem to be developing a rather long list of nice towns, which I guess is good. But any specific thoughts and/or insight are of course greatly appreciated.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:25 AM

10,159 posts, read 15,040,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
unless it's lower fairfield county, the center of the universe
lol

There are no county governments in CT, unlike in many other states (not just NY, notice that often in Florida license plates have the name of the county too.) It’s federal, state and municipality. Those are the ones that imposes all sorts of taxes on residents, not the county governments.

There are many other things about CT that may be obvious to those from out-of-state, such as roads and highways in CT don’t have tolls. It’s a shame CT is such a small state. Imagine a state as big as Texas with no tolls.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I'd go further up near and around Litchfield the town. It's prettier, more New Englandish and less warehousey looking, and fewer loud muffler cars than the Seymour Route 8 area. Figure New Milford/Sherman and up.
Like Stylo said, County in CT means nothing.
You should spend more time in that area! Route 334 area in Seymour is gorgeous, indistinguishable from Oxford, or Woodbury, or any of those towns.

Beacon Falls has some really pretty areas closer to Bethany.

If the OP wants VALUE, low-ish taxes, a pretty location with a big lot, you can find it in that area. I'd add Prospect and Wolcott to the list of value towns.

I didn't see you mention Warren. Nice town too.

I'm not sure how far is too far, but there's some good values to be found near Torrington area. I'm thinking New Hartford, Goshen, Colebrook, Norfolk. Generally a bit cheaper than the western Litchfield towns that attract more NYC weekenders.

I would also consider Middlesex County and some towns east of New Haven. It is a GORGEOUS area and prices tend to be very reasonable. Some towns to consider: Killingworth, Northford, Durham, Middlefield, Deep River, Chester, East Haddam.

There's far more towns to recommend than NOT recommend. You may just want to search a very wide area and set your filter to the lot size and budget you want. There's so few homes available for sale that you can't really be picky about town.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:47 AM

Thanks! Any towns beyond the obvious (cities) that you would not recommend or rather should I say, recommend to stay away from for any reason? I am going to take a deeper dive into some of these towns you have additionally listed.

Old 02-20-2024, 12:32 PM

CT, yes those two would be on my list too, although I do tend to think I would pay a bit more? Honestly, I have been partial to the Southbury/Woodbury/Roxbury region for what I would consider to be the best bang for my buck, but I certainly understand that I may be missing vital pieces of information, hence why I am soliciting advice.

Old 02-20-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeT72 View Post
Thanks! Any towns beyond the obvious (cities) that you would not recommend or rather should I say, recommend to stay away from for any reason? I am going to take a deeper dive into some of these towns you have additionally listed.
Generally as you go east things become more affordable. That's a gross oversimplification, but is true in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut