Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 08:06 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What is “the right thing”? There’s been too many trial and errors for anyone to say for certain what “the right thing” is.

Get vaccinated is what I meant. This way virus can't find enough hosts and it becomes extremely unlikely they create mutations that easily evade the vaccines. If it weren't for that issue I wouldn't care if people chose not to get vaccinated, it would be similar "ok you know smoking causes lung cancer but still choose to do it" (yes, I know about the potentials of 2nd hand smoke but lets assume we have that controlled).

That's the main reason I am so "involved" with this issue. Just imagine the frustration and unrest of a large but still minority of people cause all that we've gained to be a complete waste and everyone else has to start over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

We are not a nation which tolerates intrusions on freedom well. Thank God. The latest super power governor extension is simply a power grab. Someday, at some level of government, those cheering it will see the same amount of super power granted to a politician whose pov is 180 degrees away from their own. There is a valid reason our founding fathers deliberately set up as weak a government as possible, with as much personal liberty allowed as possible. Under the premise the government would have NO rights not explicitly granted it by the citizens. Not the other way around, liberals!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0
This is true about our society compared to most of the rest of the free world, and while that is good for a lot of things it can be a problem for something like this, again just think about what's going to happen if what I described above comes to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 08:16 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Get vaccinated is what I meant. This way virus can't find enough hosts and it becomes extremely unlikely they create mutations that easily evade the vaccines. If it weren't for that issue I wouldn't care if people chose not to get vaccinated, it would be similar "ok you know smoking causes lung cancer but still choose to do it" (yes, I know about the potentials of 2nd hand smoke but lets assume we have that controlled).

That's the main reason I am so "involved" with this issue. Just imagine the frustration and unrest of a large but still minority of people cause all that we've gained to be a complete waste and everyone else has to start over.
I am vaccinated, but nobody has the right to demand anyone else become vaccinated. That includes the federal, state and local government. This goes to my statement above that we take care of ourselves and our families the best way we see fit. Nobody else has the right to demand anything of anyone else’s.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:19 AM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

This is true about our society compared to most of the rest of the free world, and while that is good for a lot of things it can be a problem for something like this, again just think about what's going to happen if what I described above comes to pass.
There was never any danger we'd have a majority unvaccinated population once Operation Warp Speed worked so well. Hundreds of millions of doses were going to be used.

Lamont is engaging in a massive overreach of government power.

This is an even bigger danger. California is also overreaching, as their governor is trying to make a show while facing a recall election. No matter its outcome, it leaves him incredibly weakened. NY has overreached, must upstage impeachment proceedings, Cuomo.

What is Lamont's excuse?

If you think overreach worked, study the data. It did not.

We are 8th worst, with the rest of tri-state ranked worst/2nd worst, and Massachusetts and RI filling 3rd and 4th out.

The Northeast failed miserably regarding the handling of Covid-19. With the exception of New Hampshire & Maine , who deserve praise, as do all of the 10 lowest ranked in Per Capita Covid deaths.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

Old 07-18-2021, 08:29 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,668 times
You forgot Vermont which handled the pandemic extremely well. Highest vaccination rate in the country. Led by a Republican governor who ended his pandemic powers as soon as the state reached the target vaccination rate. Solid leadership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

The Northeast failed miserably regarding the handling of Covid-19. With the exception of New Hampshire & Maine , who deserve praise, as do all of the 10 lowest ranked in Per Capita Covid deaths.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/

Old 07-18-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
You forgot Vermont which handled the pandemic extremely well. Highest vaccination rate in the country. Led by a Republican governor who ended his pandemic powers as soon as the state reached the target vaccination rate. Solid leadership.
Correct. Vermont did very well also.

Now if Lamont had shown the guts not to simply parrot Cuomo's moves early on, we would have done far better, lost far fewer lives in nursing homes by not stocking them with previously hospitalized covid patients who passed it on to non infected victims to come.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:56 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
It’s really no secret that there is a big divide in the approach by political party. They have emergency power. This greatly extends it. Given the massive overreach experienced by residents in states like Connecticut, or “lockdowns”, anymore power given to these politicians is concerning.

And the scary thing is, people are here defending it.
We need to stop viewing the pandemic through a partisan lens. It's literally killing our citizenry (referring to the divide between vaxxed and unvaxxed, along party lines).

Old 07-18-2021, 11:00 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
We need to stop viewing the pandemic through a partisan lens. It's literally killing our citizenry (referring to the divide between vaxxed and unvaxxed, along party lines).
I very much agree, but I don’t blame the citizens for this - I blame our politicians on both sides, with the liberal Democrats’ draconian measures and Trump blaming, and the conservative Republicans’ outright denial. There seemed to be no rational middle ground.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Yes. We have to live with it the same way we live with the flu each year, and other ailments. This doesn’t mean shut down, it doesn’t mean we have the right to demand others live their lives as we prefer. It means we take care of ourselves and our families the best way we see fit. That’s it. Nobody has the right to say one way is the “right way”. We all have different lifestyles and immune systems.

I’ve asked myself so many times since the start of COVID, when reading people demand others do this and do that - who the hell do these people think they are?
"We" are sensible people who want to squash this pandemic out of existence. Not "live with it". Having 50% unvaccinated, when they can literally walk into a grocery store or pharmacy and get a lifesaving vaccine, is totally unacceptable. It allows the virus to continue to replicate, mutate, and evolve to where it can and will affect the vaccinated. So this is the rest of our business.

If some of the attitudes I'm seeing here and on the original Coronavirus thread were widely held in the 1950s, we would still have polio, measles, diphtheria, etc. running rampant today.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I am vaccinated, but nobody has the right to demand anyone else become vaccinated. That includes the federal, state and local government. This goes to my statement above that we take care of ourselves and our families the best way we see fit. Nobody else has the right to demand anything of anyone else’s.

Amen. Freedom is our most precious asset.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I very much agree, but I don’t blame the citizens for this - I blame our politicians on both sides, with the liberal Democrats’ draconian measures and Trump blaming, and the conservative Republicans’ outright denial. There seemed to be no rational middle ground.
Nothing wrong with "Draconian" measures if they had been accurately portrayed as necessary for containment of the pandemic and temporary in nature (both of which have been proven true, in hindsight). This was always just a bridge to getting us to where vaccines were widely available. Portraying them as an affront or attack on personal freedom was where the viciousness started.

Let's face it, having a pandemic in an election year changed everything. Trump from the very beginning knew that such measures would slow down the economy and negate his main selling point for being re-elected. "Personal freedom" was the banner under which he got his supporters energized about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut