Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 10:31 AM

34,232 posts, read 17,323,245 times

Advertisements

It's far easier downstate w/o a car, as the bulk of corps with high quantities of professional jobs are in Norwalk & Stamford, and we have Metro North.

Hartford I can see a guy w/o a car being fine in. The further one gets from it, the trickier it will become.

But it does knock out a giant swath of our IT jobs available to him, to not have a car, yet on that low a pay, FFC and even Western NHC is not affordable without 1 or 2 roommates. That can be dangerous, as if one leaves, it creates a giant budget hole, as every tenant is 100% responsible as an individual legally for the full rent. I see it with people I know around here, seeking new roommates quickly on social media and similar websites as they house share places they cannot afford alone. (Now if he knows a roommate personally long-term, much better.)

With the 30% rules, net pay $3,125/mth = $937.50 for rent doable. And the 30% needs to go down considerably if he has a big student loan payment.

This will be an uphill battle. I doubt a $18-$20 employer will flex 20-30% to get to $24, so he needs to find a different, better paying opportunity.

I am glad he has a parent doing legwork for him here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 10:36 AM

7,244 posts, read 3,948,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Hey Everyone,

So my son just graduated from university with a degree in IT & Network Security. He is currently interning at a summer camp in Southern California as a summer job and has got an extension to stay there beyond summer for a few more months until he finds a permanent full-time job.

Anyways, he really wants an IT job in Connecticut, mainly because it is our home state and he loves it so much. Since we have lived out of the state for so many years, I am not really sure about how the job market and economy is going in CT and what to expect for my son.

My Son is currently looking at Entry-Level IT jobs in CT, so to start out with, we know it won't be very comfortable for him, but hopefully he'll work his way up to more prestigious jobs and bigger salaries over the next few years. What is an average starting salary for entry-level IT jobs in CT? How much is needed to live in CT.

Now, you're probably going to ask me what location exactly because I know that will vary a lot. We don't have a specific location yet because he's still applying and hasn't got any job offers yet, but I expect most IT jobs will be either in the Stamford/Norwalk Area, New Haven, Hartford Area, Danbury, or maybe even New London/Mystic Area. He said a few jobs he's looked at are in Stamford and Hartford. He is a single guy, and will be looking to rent as small and cheap of a house as possible (likely an apartment or studio). He might be able to have a roommate or two as that will definitely decrease the price but we do not know for sure if that will be possible yet.

He and I have discussed different options and possibilities for housing, and we figured that depending on where his job is, maybe he can either rent an apt or studio in New Haven, Danbury, or Stamford/Norwalk or maybe rent a little bigger house and share with a roommate or two in a suburb and commute by train. He will NOT have a car. Like if his job is on the coast, maybe: Fairfield, Milford, Branford, Guilford, or Madison, Old Saybrook, East Lyme, etc (depending where his job is), or if it's in Hartford, maybe West Hartford, East Hartford, Farmington, or Glastonbury. Just naming possibilities and areas that we discussed. We really need to know where his job will be first before we come to that, but my main question is what salary should he be shooting for? How much $$ do you need to get by in Connecticut for entry level job?

Would $50,000/year be enough? He is having a little trouble finding entry-level jobs that'll even pay that much but he said there are a good amount. The average salary of jobs that he's finding is around $18-20/hr which I really think is kind of low. I told him that he probably needs at least $24/hr which is about $50,000/year. What do you all think?
Congrats on your sons graduation. You know just as well as anyone Stamford-Norwalk is the most expensive in the state. Prices won't differ much and even up to Fairfield. In fact, some spots in Norwalk/Fairfield will be more than Stamford, and a lot nicer IMO. I'm thinking a roommate is a given for CT anywhere at 50K, atleast to start. I also think starting off car free with public transportation is more than fine in the Greenwich-New Haven stretch along the coast. Millions start out this way nationwide. CT Yank will tell you IT salaries are declining here due to outsourcing, shoot him a DM.

Nothing but the best

Old 07-22-2021, 10:42 AM

34,232 posts, read 17,323,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Congrats on your sons graduation. You know just as well as anyone Stamford-Norwalk is the most expensive in the state. Prices won't differ much and even up to Fairfield. In fact, some spots in Norwalk/Fairfield will be more than Stamford, and a lot nicer IMO. I'm thinking a roommate is a given for CT anywhere at 50K, atleast to start. I also think starting off car free with public transportation is more than fine in the Greenwich-New Haven stretch along the coast. Millions start out this way nationwide. CT Yank will tell you IT salaries are declining here due to outsourcing, shoot him a DM.

Nothing but the best
Didn't know the reason. Good info. I know my boss was not pleased with his son's offer, but knows he needs the experience and knows he can subsidize the decision.

The $18-$20/hr startled me as lower than I expected. Then again, my boss's son though is not that much more, at a major Norwalk client, for 6-12 months, contractually. I take it the Infosys' of the world are biting us.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:54 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,719,675 times
Guys, thank you for all these responses, very informative. So according to most of you, it seems that $50,000/year should be just fine outside Fairfield County, and might even be doable in Fairfield County but definitely not comfortably and might be a little on the ropes.

Yes, he does have student loans to pay but a lot less than the average, and the interest rate is NOT too high because it is all Federal Student Loans. All together, he probably has a debt of $18,802 to pay back plus interest rate which is about 3%/year. I hope he can do that within the next 5 years. That is the goal.

The reason why he will be without a car is mainly to save money. It really costs a lot to buy a car, plus insurance, tax, gas, etc. It all adds up. I'm thinking he will probably use metro-north and busses most of the time.

We definitely will want to try to find him a roommate, but it will not be via social media at all. If we can, it will be through church connections. He and I do not want him living with just any random guy that he has never met or knows nothing about. We have two huge churches in CT and will ask around there to find other people around his age that are looking for possible roommates. If nothing comes up, he'll have to live alone. We are hoping through a number of connections, that we can find him a roommate!

Anyways, from my knowledge, isn't the rest of Fairfield County a lot more expensive than Stamford/Norwalk? Like to my knowledge, I believe that towns like Fairfield, Westport, Darien, and Greenwich are a lot more. Most are probably way beyond the budget at least at this rate. Eastern Fairfield might be in the question, but I'd still think its probably not the best option financially. I know that Stamford and Norwalk definitely are not cheap, but wouldn't at least Downtown Stamford and Downtown Norwalk be cheaper than the other suburban towns I listed by quite a bit?

New Haven honestly seems like the best option to me. I know it's quite a bit cheaper, and I hope he can probably find a place near downtown to rent if his job is there. In fact if he works in New Haven and can live there, that'll even save on transportation because he won't even need the train. Likely he can probably just walk.

If he ends up working in Hartford, I was thinking maybe finding a place in West Hartford? I know that much of Hartford is not really the best area, and he'll probably be a lot safer somewhere in West Hartford, and I know there are busses constantly between West Hartford and Hartford. Maybe East Hartford is a possibility as well as I know that's a bit cheaper than West Hartford.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
New Haven has significant numbers of IT jobs and places to live that are affordable. I am pretty hooked in to Connecticut's tech community.

If he has a resume, I am happy to float it around Fairfield County/New Haven/Hartford.

You can message me privately if you wish.
Sent you a DM!

Old 07-22-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
$50,000 a year is certainly doable outside Fairfield County and moderately doable in Fairfield County. It will be a struggle but with sharing an apartment and careful budgeting he can do it. Lots do.

I don’t agree with those that say he must have a car. Though our state is very car oriented, it is certainly possible to live here without one. It just is going to limit where he lives and works. I know people that do it. They live in downtown Hartford and work just across the River in East Hartford. They walk or bike to work and use mass transit to get around the region. On occasion they rent a car if needed but pretty much live fine day to day without one.

I’ve also met people in New Haven, Bridgeport and Stamford that do it as well. It’s not easy but they do save a ton of money not having one. Again it just limits them. Jay
For Sure, I agree. Honestly I've traveled around the whole country, and I feel that CT might be the only state where you can get by without a car. It definitely limits you, but I think it is very doable in most areas that aren't rural. I'd think its definitely doable in New Haven, Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport, Danbury, Hartford, and West Hartford. However, even in Fairfield, Milford, Branford, Guilford, Madison, or Glastonbury, if you live in walking distance from the town center and train/bus stations, I think it is definitely doable.

CT really has the best public transportation all around compared to pretty much any other state, especially outside the major cities.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpct View Post
Have your son look at employment with some of CT's biggest employers. UTC, Aetna, etc. He will get the best benefits and experience there and best opportunities for advancement. That will help determine where he lives.
Actually No, I'll definitely tell my son to look into those.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
Not to get in the weeds here, but the OP mentioned the person's degree is in IT and network security, not cybersecurity. Two different areas of expertise.
He did take a few Cyber Security classes but that is not his main degree. He definitely knows more with Network Security and Information Security.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:09 PM

What would you guys say is a big enough salary to live in Fairfield County without a roommate? Just trying to get an idea of worst case scenarios and what he might want to be shooting for. Would $60,000 in Fairfield County do it without a roommate? If not, what would you say is the minimum.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:18 PM

2,504 posts, read 4,752,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Guys, thank you for all these responses, very informative. So according to most of you, it seems that $50,000/year should be just fine outside Fairfield County, and might even be doable in Fairfield County but definitely not comfortably and might be a little on the ropes.
If looking in Fairfield County, I would suggest a roommate, as you indicated you may do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K
Anyways, from my knowledge, isn't the rest of Fairfield County a lot more expensive than Stamford/Norwalk? Like to my knowledge, I believe that towns like Fairfield, Westport, Darien, and Greenwich are a lot more. Most are probably way beyond the budget at least at this rate. Eastern Fairfield might be in the question, but I'd still think its probably not the best option financially. I know that Stamford and Norwalk definitely are not cheap, but wouldn't at least Downtown Stamford and Downtown Norwalk be cheaper than the other suburban towns I listed by quite a bit?

The suburbs of FFC are by and large bedroom communities. They're more popular for families with children than they are for young professionals, and as such single-family homes are far more frequent, and the median price for a house is high. However, Stamford and Norwalk (particularly South Norwalk) have become popular for young twentysomething's so rents here are above average, in part because of supply and demand (largely due to close proximity to New York), but also a lot of the new apartments are luxury properties, and these are always more expensive.

Quote:
New Haven honestly seems like the best option to me. I know it's quite a bit cheaper, and I hope he can probably find a place near downtown to rent if his job is there. In fact if he works in New Haven and can live there, that'll even save on transportation because he won't even need the train. Likely he can probably just walk.
New Haven is a cool little city. They have a good nightlife scene, and it's probably the most walkable city in CT, with buses and Metro North stops. Downtown, East Rock, Wooster Square and Amity are all safe areas, but still use caution like you would in any city.

Quote:
If he ends up working in Hartford, I was thinking maybe finding a place in West Hartford? I know that much of Hartford is not really the best area, and he'll probably be a lot safer somewhere in West Hartford, and I know there are busses constantly between West Hartford and Hartford. Maybe East Hartford is a possibility as well as I know that's a bit cheaper than West Hartford.
Stick with W. Hartford or Hartford if working in the capital city. With the possible exception of the far southeastern edge of town (Hillcrest Ave.), WH is safe and has a ton of rental properties that vary in price and amenities. If moving to Hartford, downtown and the West Side (north of Farmington Ave & east of Woodland) are good areas with little crime. East Hartford might be cheaper, but I think you'll have more convenient public transit to Hartford west of the river compared to EH. More entertainment for young people, too.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 07-22-2021 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut