Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 12:56 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,633,538 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

So my son just graduated from university with a degree in IT & Network Security. He is currently interning at a summer camp in Southern California as a summer job and has got an extension to stay there beyond summer for a few more months until he finds a permanent full-time job.

Anyways, he really wants an IT job in Connecticut, mainly because it is our home state and he loves it so much. Since we have lived out of the state for so many years, I am not really sure about how the job market and economy is going in CT and what to expect for my son.

My Son is currently looking at Entry-Level IT jobs in CT, so to start out with, we know it won't be very comfortable for him, but hopefully he'll work his way up to more prestigious jobs and bigger salaries over the next few years. What is an average starting salary for entry-level IT jobs in CT? How much is needed to live in CT.

Now, you're probably going to ask me what location exactly because I know that will vary a lot. We don't have a specific location yet because he's still applying and hasn't got any job offers yet, but I expect most IT jobs will be either in the Stamford/Norwalk Area, New Haven, Hartford Area, Danbury, or maybe even New London/Mystic Area. He said a few jobs he's looked at are in Stamford and Hartford. He is a single guy, and will be looking to rent as small and cheap of a house as possible (likely an apartment or studio). He might be able to have a roommate or two as that will definitely decrease the price but we do not know for sure if that will be possible yet.

He and I have discussed different options and possibilities for housing, and we figured that depending on where his job is, maybe he can either rent an apt or studio in New Haven, Danbury, or Stamford/Norwalk or maybe rent a little bigger house and share with a roommate or two in a suburb and commute by train. He will NOT have a car. Like if his job is on the coast, maybe: Fairfield, Milford, Branford, Guilford, or Madison, Old Saybrook, East Lyme, etc (depending where his job is), or if it's in Hartford, maybe West Hartford, East Hartford, Farmington, or Glastonbury. Just naming possibilities and areas that we discussed. We really need to know where his job will be first before we come to that, but my main question is what salary should he be shooting for? How much $$ do you need to get by in Connecticut for entry level job?

Would $50,000/year be enough? He is having a little trouble finding entry-level jobs that'll even pay that much but he said there are a good amount. The average salary of jobs that he's finding is around $18-20/hr which I really think is kind of low. I told him that he probably needs at least $24/hr which is about $50,000/year. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 04:05 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,383 times
Check out glassdoor.com for info on salaries — they have a lot of details, even on individual employers.

I would say $50k is a good target, but it is doable with less. Depends how badly he wants to be in CT. For someone starting out, it helps to live where the cost is low. Look for the best margin of salary over cost of living. Maybe get a roommate to split the rent or buy a duplex and rent half out.

Without a car, options are going to be limited to cities or just outside. Considering housing costs, a job in New Haven or Hartford might leave him more of his paycheck than somewhere in Fairfield County.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:08 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
The further off the coast he lives, the lower (usually) the rent will be. Stamford is very pricey, Norwalk is somewhat pricey. He can't, though, without a car. Catch 22.

$50k will require a roommate IMO. I'd tell him assume max of net being 75% of gross (Fed taxes, SS, Medicare, Ct income tax, medical premiums), so that is $37,500 net, or $3,125 a month. Using the 30% of net as max for rent rule, that is just $937.50, and you will not find a Stamford rent at even close to that.

I'd suggest if he wants Stamford, look for 2 roommates to afford a decent size place (plus gives ease of mind if one exits). Fairfield-Norwalk, he can do one roommate, try to save a bit each month in case roommate leaves and he has to pay in excess of 30 percent himself.

Step 1 : Have him walk forward gross to net pay. We live off net.

He will need Metro North/shuttles and rents within walking distance of trains cost more in most cases, btw.

If he cannot afford Ct, solution may be lower COL region until he builds career up to 5+ year experience level. So, if he wants Ct, and can't make more at this time, he may be able to circle back.

Does he have student loans to pay monthly also?

Good luck.

https://pocketsense.com/percent-net-...-11386399.html

Old 07-22-2021, 06:55 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
My brother is in the am field as your son. He has been doing it for quite a while though. He writes the programs/code so I don't know how different that is from your sons job. My brother makes a lot of money and is always getting job offers. I am thinking what would probably happen with your son if he was in CT as a few years went by he would start making good money also.

I think New Haven would be a good area. I have neighbors in Trumbull that work in computers and they go to New Haven.

I was born and raised in Stamford. I would not recommend that area. In southwestern Fairfield County you are competing with people who commute into NYC that have finance jobs. Even great computer jobs can't compete with Wall Street money. Trust me I know.....that is why I am in Trumbull now.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:03 AM

512 posts, read 351,151 times
General entry level IT away from the NYC metro will get you about $50-55k/year. Experience and different certs will tack on to that base salary. You can absolutely live on that salary w/no roommate in the cheaper areas of the state (i.e. not Fairfield County) as a young person starting out. Wil you be living in the most desirable suburbs? No. But you won't be living in squalor either.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Hey Everyone,

Would $50,000/year be enough? He is having a little trouble finding entry-level jobs that'll even pay that much but he said there are a good amount. The average salary of jobs that he's finding is around $18-20/hr which I really think is kind of low. I told him that he probably needs at least $24/hr which is about $50,000/year. What do you all think?

He will be fine making $50,000 a year outside of Fairfield County.

I guess everyone has a different opinion of life than me. The fun of being young is you live in small apartments or with other people. You look back at that time as the best of your life when you are living a comfortable existence when older lol.

The per capita income is for one person.

New Haven per capita income $26,641
West Haven per capita income $30,489
East Haven per capita income $34,754

Your son won't even have a family to worry about. He will be just fine.

Old 07-22-2021, 07:32 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
One thing I would strongly suggest no matter where he lives. Do a line item, EXCEL budget with him, include every expense (rent, internet, train, food, personnel grooming items, student loans, etc). That is the true test of can it be done.

Have him ask his first employer to do a net pay calculation. Payroll systems offer them the tool to do so.

If he needs Wheels (S Norwalk bus shuttle), there is a charge, separate from Metro North. The Stamford train station shuttles are employer paid. Metro North varies by distance, if he lived near Fairfield Metro, going to Stamford is $68.50 per month. S Norwalk is less, but Wheels will make it more, effectively as its a 2nd charge. Wheels is not employer paid.

This link will assist: http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

Let the above math exercise guide his decision. Homework like budgeting first to the nth degree is the best way to make decisions like this. Plus he needs a concrete offer.

My boss's son does IT, new college grad, in Norwalk, but his dad is paying most of his Stamford shared rent. He has a modest student loan bill to pay. He stays there also (dad) at times, as it is easier hike to his office, so it is a win-win.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 07-22-2021 at 07:40 AM..

Old 07-22-2021, 07:54 AM

[quote=BobNJ1960;61507314
My boss's son does IT, new college grad, in Norwalk, but his dad is paying most of his Stamford shared rent. He has a modest student loan bill to pay. He stays there also (dad) at times, as it is easier hike to his office, so it is a win-win.[/QUOTE]

That is another thing you have to deal with in southwestern Fairfield County. There is so much money down there kids get their rent paid by parents. I have been to wedding showers and the bride to be gets handed a house key to a house that is paid for. I kid you not.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:00 AM

752 posts, read 552,628 times
New Haven has significant numbers of IT jobs and places to live that are affordable. I am pretty hooked in to Connecticut's tech community.

If he has a resume, I am happy to float it around Fairfield County/New Haven/Hartford.

You can message me privately if you wish.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:00 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
For a $55,000 annual salary, you can afford either a studio or 1-bedroom apartment, but not in Fairfield County. If looking to live in the Hartford or New Haven area, this is doable. It probably won't be a luxury property with fancy amenities, but yes, finding a decent rental in a safe area is absolutely possible.

Rule of thumb: An apartment complex will likely cost more than a multi-family home. Apartments tend to be larger, require greater upkeep, have more amenities, and are run by property management companies, whereas duplexes are often owned by an individual. This will impacts the cost at least somewhat. Example: I have a friend who lived with his girlfriend on the third floor of a triple-decker on a postage-stamp lot. They were on Beverly Road in W. Hartford from 2011 to 2017. It was clean, comfortable and safe, but offered basic amenities (i.e., window A/C units, onsite washer-dryer, off-street parking, firepit in the backyard, walking distance to restaurants and pubs on Park Road). The monthly rent? $850 total. if they were in an apartment building, that same 1-bedroom unit would be well over $1,000.

I only bring this up because this can be a wise economical decision depending on where one decides to live. Regardless of where you live, safety and desirability will dictate the cost. As the saying goes, if something is cheap, there's a reason for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut