Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
The majority of people on I84 do not use their cruise, it really rubs me the wrong way. People are doing 20 different speeds. Cruise saves gas.
It is hard to use cruise control when there is a lot of traffic. Beside even if they did use it, they would still be traveling at differnet speeds. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 10:34 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
Cruise control uses more gas when in hilly terrain since it guns it to maintain speed. I drive Rt 2 daily and the hills through South Glastonbury and Marlborough suck gas. I rarely use CC in CT because not many highways I drive are flat and more importantly, not traffic laden.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 AM

490 posts, read 1,788,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Are you doing anything to conserve fuel? e.g. driving slower, trading in that SUV or taking mass transit? I just bought a hybrid.
_________
Have driving a compact that gives 36 miles a gallon for the past six years. I also take the train to work and walk when possible. If I just knew how to ride a bike ...

Old 05-16-2008, 01:19 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Beside even if they did use it, they would still be traveling at differnet speeds. Jay
Yes but they would be traveling at constant speeds which makes the roads safer and easier to navigate. People wouldn't be going between 55-70 and 70 and 85 - which is how many who don't use cruise control drive.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
1. If you drive mostly on the highway, a hybrid will do you no better than a regular car that is very efficient...in fact carrying around the extra weight of the hybrid would actually work against good mileage in that environment.
This is true if when you drive on the highway it's smooth sailing. Usually when the majority of people are on the highway (in FF or NH Counties at least, and I'd assume the Hartford area) is during rush hour and it's stop and go. I know when I travel, I take back roads into Stamford so I'm not in bumper to bumper - I'm sure you know how much gas traffic wastes. Stop, gas, stop, gas, gas more, stop. You get the picture. I fill up less than 1/2 the time I did when I had my Subaru. And about a hybrid actually being worse in gas due to "extra weight," well I can tell you firsthand that it's not true. Even when I drive the Merritt up to the Valley when there's no traffic, I barely use any gas.

Quote:
2. If you own a hybrid and still drive like an @ss you will get lousy gas mileage. SLOW DOWN and stop driving like John Force (John Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) from light to light. I really laugh when I'm going down the highway at 60mph in my truck and a hybrid FLYS by me about 90mph. I'm probably getting better mileage in my full size pickup than he is! LOL
I agree, but even going 80 in a hybrid uses much less gas than going 80 in a mid-sized car.

Quote:
Does your desire for "style" outweigh your desire to conserve and not pollute?
It really has nothing to do with "style" or hopping on the bandwagon. I personally find many hybrids to be very ugly (Prius, Civic Hybrid, etc) so I waited until the Altima came out in a hybrid. I'm not a fan of the granola liberals driving their Prius' with "Plant a Tree," "Obama" and "Not all who wander are lost" stickers on the back. Those folks, IMO, only bought their hybrid to make a statement. For me, it has everything to do with my need to save money in the short term while gas prices are as high as they are.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:26 PM

893 posts, read 791,003 times
Quote:
Yes but they would be traveling at constant speeds which makes the roads safer and easier to navigate. People wouldn't be going between 55-70 and 70 and 85 - which is how many who don't use cruise control drive.
Thank you Kidyankee my point exactly.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:15 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
This explains why many Connecticut residents fill up in Rhode Island. As of today you can find a range of 3.68-3.83

Old 05-16-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
This explains why many Connecticut residents fill up in Rhode Island. As of today you can find a range of 3.68-3.83
Friends of mine in Brewster, NY say the same thing. It's about 20 cents cheaper over the border. Funny how there are 2 gas stations, one in Danbury and one in Brewster, about 2 miles apart. The one in Danbury is $4.10 and in Brewster is $3.89.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:15 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
The price will continue to rise. Growing world-wide demand, a price controlling cartel, restricted output of refineries, and a oil-dependent infrastructure in the US will all continue to contribute to a long-term trend of continued price appreciation unless realistic substitute products become available.

Connecticut state average is now $4. Other parts of the country, especially the rural plains states, must be hurting very badly. Many of the jobs in those areas are located a considerable distance from where one lives and residents are low paying and very auto dependent. It is conceivable that long-term if one's wages are not adjusted to compensate for rising energy costs that some people will not be able to afford the gas to get to their $7 to $10 per hour job.

A national initiative is needed. This is not fear-based it is opportunity-based. We as a country have the opportunity to continue our leadership position if we commit ourselves to researching and developing the next generation energy sources.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:51 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
Quote:
Friends of mine in Brewster, NY, say the same thing. It's about 20 cents cheaper over the border. Funny how there are 2 gas stations, one in Danbury and one in Brewster, about 2 miles apart. The one in Danbury is $4.10 and in Brewster is $3.89.
Connecticut is now ranked #3 (most expensive) behind Alaska and Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut