Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 05:06 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,119,181 times

Advertisements

To not make them repay it in full is to indicate theft of funds by them is ok. (I have no issue with allowing a reasonable payback period, as long as interest continues accruing, and where there was clear fraudulent intent, penalties stick.)

The Ct Democratic party is truly insane.

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/...c=rdctpdensecp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 05:27 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
I’m sorry but the state made the mistake approving their applications, not the people receiving it. The state should have known who was eligible and who wasn’t. It’s not the applicants job to understand the law so why should they be held accountable? Most probably don’t have the money to pay the state back so the Democrats are right that the Department of Labor needs to give these people a break. JMHO, Jay

Old 09-23-2021, 05:32 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times
I have to say, I agree with Jay on this one. It was initially approved and, if anything, points to ineffective government more than anything. To demand anyone pay it back because of their mistake would be morally wrong.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:32 PM

DOL policy always is money not to be paid out is clawed back. UI recipients the last 18 months made more, quite often, than they did working.

I do think some innocently double dipped, but many likely did so intentionally.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I have to say, I agree with Jay on this one. It was initially approved and, if anything, points to ineffective government more than anything. To demand anyone pay it back because of their mistake would be morally wrong.
The words ineffective and government are synonyms, actually.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:48 PM

1,368 posts, read 998,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m sorry but the state made the mistake approving their applications, not the people receiving it. The state should have known who was eligible and who wasn’t. It’s not the applicants job to understand the law so why should they be held accountable?

If you are currently employed, shouldn't you know that you are not eligible for UI?

Old 09-28-2021, 09:51 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,188,024 times
The devil is in the details..... keep in mind PPP didn't exist when the rules for UI we're written....
So basically people were laid off....
Then biz owners recieved PPP, which is to be used for mostly payroll. Even if you want to pay those to stay home. While many businesses were closed in early 2020 they may have made retroactive payments after receiving UI benefits. You can't have both....
So while many were at the time playing fairly, the game changed if you will.....with the windfall of PPP.
You can't have it both ways though....

Old 09-28-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
The devil is in the details..... keep in mind PPP didn't exist when the rules for UI we're written....
So basically people were laid off....
Then biz owners recieved PPP, which is to be used for mostly payroll. Even if you want to pay those to stay home. While many businesses were closed in early 2020 they may have made retroactive payments after receiving UI benefits. You can't have both....
So while many were at the time playing fairly, the game changed if you will.....with the windfall of PPP.
You can't have it both ways though....
Law-abiding people know when work resumes, UI stops, and should have banked any UI paid via PPP if they were working, in preparation for having to return the money.

UI has been prone to scammers forever, and clawed back money from scammers forever-as it should.

We saw huge scamming nationally in 2020-renters who kept working stopped paying rent in many cases - viewing a moratorium as a "be a bum" opportunity. The UI windfall the last 18 months created the same opportunity to scam.

Now they were caught and the bill is due.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:50 AM

752 posts, read 555,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Law-abiding people know when work resumes, UI stops, and should have banked any UI paid via PPP if they were working, in preparation for having to return the money.

UI has been prone to scammers forever, and clawed back money from scammers forever-as it should.

We saw huge scamming nationally in 2020-renters who kept working stopped paying rent in many cases - viewing a moratorium as a "be a bum" opportunity. The UI windfall the last 18 months created the same opportunity to scam.

Now they were caught and the bill is due.
What would be your proposed solution to make sure that people who needed it received the unemployment insurance benefit they paid into while filtering out fraudulent and inappropriate claims? What would be your solution during a sudden surge of 10x (or more) the usual number of claims?

Old 09-29-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
What would be your proposed solution to make sure that people who needed it received the unemployment insurance benefit they paid into while filtering out fraudulent and inappropriate claims? What would be your solution during a sudden surge of 10x (or more) the usual number of claims?
People who were eligible would have gotten it. DOL was automatically processing claims last year. I am glad the truly eligible got it. Livid scammers took advantage, but delighted they were caught. the solution is just what the state is doing-nailing the scammers.

I view scammers of 2020 and 2021 no differently than any other year. Let the claw backs begin is my motto.

I am acquainted with several people who were caught, btw, and shocked as I thought they were honest. Now their dishonesty will properly cost them big-time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut