Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 02:28 PM

21,660 posts, read 31,297,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Very true. NOVA demographics mirror FFC, and the change in margin there towards the GOP was the warning shot fired towards the radical left.

Best case scenario for the DNC, our Congressmen and Senators will be minority members 1-2023. I do expect down ticket DNC losses even in blue Ct, though.
I don’t know I agree NoVA is similar to FFC. There’s a lot of “wokeism” in NoVa that traditional Fairfield County suburbs reject. Lower FFC went back to their traditional right leaning moderate voting ways and NoVa still remains solid blue, even in the suburbs.

Fairfield County voting patterns sort of mirror Palm Beach County, where I am, and places like Orange County, CA. Lots of moderates, and rejection of extremes on both sides. Trump wasn’t very popular in any of these areas with traditional moderate Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 04:45 PM

711 posts, read 406,021 times
Whoever they are they have to be a moderate. A Charlie Baker or Larry Hogan type. It also can't be someone that just says "get rid of the income tax" over and over again.

It'll probably be Stefanowski again and he'll lose just like Tom Foley lost twice.

Mark Boughton should give it a crack one more time.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:48 AM

2,497 posts, read 4,732,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTableKnight View Post
Whoever they are they have to be a moderate. A Charlie Baker or Larry Hogan type. It also can't be someone that just says "get rid of the income tax" over and over again.

It'll probably be Stefanowski again and he'll lose just like Tom Foley lost twice.

Mark Boughton should give it a crack one more time.
Well, if the Republican candidate is going to run on the tagline of "I'm not [fill in the blank of the Democratic governor]", they're gong to get their ass kicked. We know this because that's exactly what happened with Tom Foley back in 2014, whom I voted for. I didn't even particularly like Foley, I just felt he was a better alternative to that horse's ass Malloy who I just wanted out of office. As much as I've given Lamont credit for his handling of the pandemic, that's slowly becoming a fading issue. If he's truly serious about winning over more than the West Hartford rosé crowd (which I am not a part of), he needs to address the issue of crime and get tough on juvenile offenders, something that's proven to be quite the Achilles Heal for Democrats for some reason.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:54 AM

35,020 posts, read 57,115,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don’t agree there. Some of these democrats (Malloy, Murphy, Blumenthal, even Lamont, etc) have been so damaging to CT, both to the psyche of hardworking residents and physically to the state, that even the most inept of Republicans should be given a chance to right the serious wrongs they’ve committed.

Kind of amazes me that people will still vote Democrat after all that’s been happening in that state on their watch: hard left wing bills being passed, backfired juvenile reform, skyrocketing crime in the suburbs, etc.

Hold these people accountable for the diminishing quality of life and vote them out.
I have to agree with mels on this. I think you over estimate peoples voting based only on juvenile crime increase, police accountability and other recent Democrat bills.

Already Lamont has begun to address the increase in juvenile crime which if he follows through on will go a long way to assure his re-election. Remember that the states fiscal picture hasn’t looked this bright in decades and most agree Lamont has done a very good job with the pandemic. If there is a tax cut next year, it will all but assure Lamont’s re-election next year.

I also don’t think your view of other Democrats is realistic or one shared by most Connecticut residents. We all know that Blumenthal has made some serious missteps in the past but he’s been re-elected several times since then so it obviously has not affected his electability. His stature within Congress has grown on the national level which is noticeable.

I’m not sure what you what you think Murphy has done either. He seems to be well received both here and in Congress.

As for other Democrats, I’m not sure what you think any of them has done but serve our state well. Rosa DeLauro is now the very prestigious and powerful Chair of the House Appropriations Committee. John Larson has a long and prestigious 27 years in Congress and feels he has the power to provide funding for the massive I-84/I-91 tunnels under Hartford. I doubt he’d so heavily promote that unless he’s sure he’s in a decent position to deliver. Courtney and Himes aren’t necessarily stars in Congress but are well respected. Even our newest and most vulnerable Congress member, Jahana Hayes was just re-elected with 55% of the vote. Republican David X Sullivan couldn’t unseat her.

While I appreciate your opinion and concern, I just don’t think it reflects the majority of voters in Connecticut. Jay

Old 11-11-2021, 09:15 AM

21,660 posts, read 31,297,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
We all know that Blumenthal has made some serious missteps in the past but he’s been re-elected several times since then so it obviously has not affected his electability.
This is precisely my point. He being elected after these things doesn’t mean he’s worthy, it means the issue is with CT voters.

Without going off topic, I’m curious as to how Lamont is sincerely addressing juvenile crime. Feel free to DM or post in that thread if it’s off topic here, because I couldn’t disagree with that statement more.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:46 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,507,409 times
Would love to see Blumenthal, Murphy, and DeLauro go away. I would also like to see Sue Hatfield run for Gov this time around.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:07 AM

34,107 posts, read 17,167,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is precisely my point. He being elected after these things doesn’t mean he’s worthy, it means the issue is with CT voters.

Without going off topic, I’m curious as to how Lamont is sincerely addressing juvenile crime. Feel free to DM or post in that thread if it’s off topic here, because I couldn’t disagree with that statement more.
Lamont has done squat beyond lip service so far on juvenile crime, and I give no reward points on lip service, so Jay feel free to PM me an actual piece of signed legislation also since the juve crime bill that has mitigated its damage.

I do expect Lamont will win as Ct is a solid blue state, but I also fully expect our DC reps to be minority reps 1/20/2023 and that means they will have no impact past 2022.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:00 AM

711 posts, read 406,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
If he's truly serious about winning over more than the West Hartford rosé crowd (which I am not a part of), he needs to address the issue of crime and get tough on juvenile offenders, something that's proven to be quite the Achilles Heal for Democrats for some reason.
The Democrats are okay with how the crime laws are now because it means less potential D voters are in jail or prison. Republicans want to change these laws because they want more potential D voters back in prison. All it is.

And then of course you have the sheeple CT residents who just want safety in their communities.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:04 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,968,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to agree with mels on this. I think you over estimate peoples voting based only on juvenile crime increase, police accountability and other recent Democrat bills.

Already Lamont has begun to address the increase in juvenile crime which if he follows through on will go a long way to assure his re-election. Remember that the states fiscal picture hasn’t looked this bright in decades and most agree Lamont has done a very good job with the pandemic. If there is a tax cut next year, it will all but assure Lamont’s re-election next year.

I also don’t think your view of other Democrats is realistic or one shared by most Connecticut residents. We all know that Blumenthal has made some serious missteps in the past but he’s been re-elected several times since then so it obviously has not affected his electability. His stature within Congress has grown on the national level which is noticeable.

I’m not sure what you what you think Murphy has done either. He seems to be well received both here and in Congress.

As for other Democrats, I’m not sure what you think any of them has done but serve our state well. Rosa DeLauro is now the very prestigious and powerful Chair of the House Appropriations Committee. John Larson has a long and prestigious 27 years in Congress and feels he has the power to provide funding for the massive I-84/I-91 tunnels under Hartford. I doubt he’d so heavily promote that unless he’s sure he’s in a decent position to deliver. Courtney and Himes aren’t necessarily stars in Congress but are well respected. Even our newest and most vulnerable Congress member, Jahana Hayes was just re-elected with 55% of the vote. Republican David X Sullivan couldn’t unseat her.

While I appreciate your opinion and concern, I just don’t think it reflects the majority of voters in Connecticut. Jay
Lamont so far as done precisely nothing to address the juvenile crime problem. I don't believe the Democrats as a party are capable of addressing this problem, or crime in journal, because they've tied themselves up in knots on racial politics and can't face the implications of a tougher stand on crime.

As for the Senators and State Reps, I think they've done a lousy job for the state. Holding prestigious positions in a dysfunctional congress means little. They might have brought home some money to improve our highways or bring our rail service up to standard, but instead we have languished with deteriorating rail service for over a decade. A big thumbs down to all of them.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:31 PM

35,020 posts, read 57,115,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Lamont so far as done precisely nothing to address the juvenile crime problem. I don't believe the Democrats as a party are capable of addressing this problem, or crime in journal, because they've tied themselves up in knots on racial politics and can't face the implications of a tougher stand on crime.

As for the Senators and State Reps, I think they've done a lousy job for the state. Holding prestigious positions in a dysfunctional congress means little. They might have brought home some money to improve our highways or bring our rail service up to standard, but instead we have languished with deteriorating rail service for over a decade. A big thumbs down to all of them.
You, Kidyankee and BobNJ1960 are correct. Lamont has done nothing so far on juvenile crime but the question is what he will do over the next year before the election. If he even tries to address it and does even a minor amount to change things, I believe it will be well received and assure his re-election.

As for infrastructure funding, this has been a goal of just about every President in history. Several plans over the past couple decades never went anywhere which is why this is so important and meaningful. The fact that our Congressmen are right up there ready to get our fair share or more is wonderful. It might actually allow our state to fully improve its transportation network to modern standards. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut