Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 04:31 PM

34,189 posts, read 17,265,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You, Kidyankee and BobNJ1960 are correct. Lamont has done nothing so far on juvenile crime but the question is what he will do over the next year before the election. If he even tries to address it and does even a minor amount to change things, I believe it will be well received and assure his re-election.
Ifs do not matter. He signed the bills, instead of vetoing them, despite indicating he disliked the crime erasure bill.

That was Capitulation 101.

While I think he will limp to a 2nd turn, I also think he will hurt fellow Dems in tight districts down ticket, just as McAuliffe in Va caused damage and losses far down the Democratic ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 06:26 PM

21,705 posts, read 31,377,949 times
Quote:
You, Kidyankee and BobNJ1960 are correct. Lamont has done nothing so far on juvenile crime but the question is what he will do over the next year before the election. If he even tries to address it and does even a minor amount to change things, I believe it will be well received and assure his re-election.
That’s not what you said, though. You said he has already begun to address the issue. He has not. In fact, he and his party specifically said the certain measures that were recommended were “off the table”. That is not addressing the issue - that’s continuing to pander to the party and offer feel good promises that may sound appropriate but are ineffective. That is unacceptable and instead of defending him, and promoting him, people should be calling for his removal.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:33 PM

35,136 posts, read 57,283,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s not what you said, though. You said he has already begun to address the issue. He has not. In fact, he and his party specifically said the certain measures that were recommended were “off the table”. That is not addressing the issue - that’s continuing to pander to the party and offer feel good promises that may sound appropriate but are ineffective. That is unacceptable and instead of defending him, and promoting him, people should be calling for his removal.
You misunderstood my use of the word “address”. I know he has done nothing to change anything yet but he has acknowledged the issue. He has almost a year to do something before the election.

It is very extreme to call for Lamont’s removal because of this issue, don’t you think? The vast majority think he’s doing a good job. Overall the state is doing well. He’s helped attract a couple impressive companies to our state. He’s handled the pandemic well. He’s been fiscally conservative and hasn’t allowed any runaway spending on crazy left wing programs to save the world. Not sure many would agree with you or be even close. Jay

Old 11-12-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
You misunderstood my use of the word “address”. I know he has done nothing to change anything yet but he has acknowledged the issue. He has almost a year to do something before the election.

It is very extreme to call for Lamont’s removal because of this issue, don’t you think? The vast majority think he’s doing a good job. Overall the state is doing well. He’s helped attract a couple impressive companies to our state. He’s handled the pandemic well. He’s been fiscally conservative and hasn’t allowed any runaway spending on crazy left wing programs to save the world. Not sure many would agree with you or be even close. Jay
He has acknowledged the issue by saying he refuses to bend on the very reason juvenile crime is skyrocketing in the suburbs. I wouldn’t call that addressing the issue, but that’s me.

As for Lamont, the state is doing better than under Malloy, but that’s not hard to beat. Unemployment is still high, but will say the reserves are impressive (CT is the only blue state in the top 5). Good recovery from near bankruptcy not long ago. The issue here isn’t money, though - it’s the social reforms Malloy has signed with his own hand that are diminishing quality of life. I just can’t wrap my head around his pandering to the national party.

I do remember you saying if he signs the zoning bill into law, you won’t support him further. Interesting to see you cheering him on today after the left wing BS he’s allowed to happen. Why the flip?

Last edited by kidyankee764; 11-12-2021 at 01:54 PM..

Old 11-12-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
He has acknowledged the issue by saying he refuses to bend on the very reason juvenile crime is skyrocketing in the suburbs. I wouldn’t call that addressing the issue, but that’s me.

As for Lamont, the state is doing better than under Malloy, but that’s not hard to beat. Unemployment is still high, but will say the reserves are impressive (CT is the only blue state in the top 5). Good recovery from near bankruptcy not long ago. The issue here isn’t money, though - it’s the social reforms Malloy has signed with his own hand that are diminishing quality of life. I just can’t wrap my head around his pandering to the national party.

I do remember you saying if he signs the zoning bill into law, you won’t support him further. Interesting to see you cheering him on today after the left wing BS he’s allowed to happen. Why the flip?
I’m not cheering him. I’m trying to be objective and talking about what the average voter’s opinions are. That doesn’t mean I agree with them.

As for the zoning bill, I’m still mad about that but the bill got watered down a bit from its original incarnation and I’ve talked with a couple town planners who aren’t concerned with getting local approval to override it to require homeowners to go through a review process to add accessory units. That’s what I did not like the most about the bill. Jay

Old 11-12-2021, 04:32 PM

34,189 posts, read 17,265,726 times
Lamont signaled to the legislature he is spineless by signing these bills. That makes me fear for what other damage our legislature will do, as Ned will automatically sign it.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I’m not cheering him. I’m trying to be objective and talking about what the average voter’s opinions are. That doesn’t mean I agree with them.

As for the zoning bill, I’m still mad about that but the bill got watered down a bit from its original incarnation and I’ve talked with a couple town planners who aren’t concerned with getting local approval to override it to require homeowners to go through a review process to add accessory units. That’s what I did not like the most about the bill. Jay
The problem, though, is even though an approval process is required now, this is a shoe-in for that approval process to be eliminated down the road, whether it’s next year or next decade. That’s the problem with this stuff - it can’t be allowed to happen because it’s a slippery slope. Don’t let them pull the wool over your eyes.

Lamont’s social agenda is damaging to the state, and I’m amazed people cannot see what is happening right in front of them.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Lamont signaled to the legislature he is spineless by signing these bills. That makes me fear for what other damage our legislature will do, as Ned will automatically sign it.
Exactly!

Old 11-13-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
The problem, though, is even though an approval process is required now, this is a shoe-in for that approval process to be eliminated down the road, whether it’s next year or next decade. That’s the problem with this stuff - it can’t be allowed to happen because it’s a slippery slope. Don’t let them pull the wool over your eyes.

Lamont’s social agenda is damaging to the state, and I’m amazed people cannot see what is happening right in front of them.
I don’t agree with that. Eliminating the ability to require a local approval process would be a huge difference from the enacted law and a clear violation of our states long standing “local rule” history. I also don’t necessarily agree Lamont’s social agenda is that damaging. He’s not really a raging liberal. He’s long been more moderate. Again he has a year until the election. A lot can happen in that time, both good and bad. Will see. Jay

Old 11-13-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
That’s not entirely true. I will remind you that Lamont vetoed the legislators approved Solitary Confinement Bill. He actually vetoed four passed Bills this year.

In 2019 he vetoed the passed Bills that would have lowered the minimum wage paid to restaurant workers that get tips; established harsher punishment for cooking oil thefts; and a real estate client disclosure Bill.

He has also used the threat of veto to reign in some of the Legislatures more extreme Bills before they got to his desk including budget Bills that would have increased spending. I’m not saying Lamont is perfect but then again no Connecticut Governor has been in recent history. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2021/07/14/lamo...d-four-vetoed/

https://www.middletownpress.com/midd...o-14091472.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut