Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:12 PM

128 posts, read 447,051 times

Advertisements

just some quick questions for people who know about fairfield university. im currently wraping up my senior year of high school and am going to attend a local school for one year. after that year i plan on making a transfer to another school. i have been to fairfield U, saw the campus, actually drove through it. i enjoyed what i saw. however, i wanted to know how easy it is to transfer, what the quality of life is, what it is good for, and would it be better to go to Sacred Heart. any imput on either school would be great. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 06:37 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Both are great schools. I believe Fairfield Univ is slightly smaller but both are similar in size.

Fairfield is a great suburban town. You have access to NYC and New Haven via Metro North and there are plenty of affordable apartments in Fairfield and neighboring Bridgeport for off-campus housing - though be careful where you look in Bridgeport as some areas are very shady.

The quality of life in Fairfield County is among the best in the nation (in my opinion) if you can afford it. Excellent public and private schools, great location and you have the beach as well.

If you can get in and can afford tuition then I highly recommend applying to both universities.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:05 PM

127 posts, read 520,985 times
check the college guides section at a local bookstore like barnes and noble. there is a resource guide written by current and past students. I cannot remember the exact name but it is something like the "unofficial college guide." Fairfield and Sacred Heart are both covered in the book. The book covers everything from the student's perspective on the academics, the campus, local hangouts, typical dress code, etc. It's actually very funny at times to read what students think of their own school and the student population.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:16 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOnDown5250 View Post
just some quick questions for people who know about fairfield university. im currently wraping up my senior year of high school and am going to attend a local school for one year. after that year i plan on making a transfer to another school. i have been to fairfield U, saw the campus, actually drove through it. i enjoyed what i saw. however, i wanted to know how easy it is to transfer, what the quality of life is, what it is good for, and would it be better to go to Sacred Heart. any imput on either school would be great. thank you

It's the middle of May and you're still undecided?????

I'd check into whether FU will even admit you for next semester. SH should still be accepting enrollments.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:48 PM

51 posts, read 194,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It's the middle of May and you're still undecided?????

I'd check into whether FU will even admit you for next semester. SH should still be accepting enrollments.
If you read the OP's comments a little closer, you will notice that they are planning on attending a local school for a year before transferring to Fairfield Univ. or Sacred Heart...

Old 05-19-2008, 07:22 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Fairfield University has become a very prestigous school to attend. It has become THE Catholic university to attend in New England (after Boston College) if you know what I mean. Admission to it will require very good grades. Sacred Heart was begun as a commuter school but has worked hard in recent years to improve and fill the void that Fairfield's harder admissions have left. Look into both schools and see which would accept you with the grades and credentials you have. Good luck, Jay

Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 PM

8 posts, read 20,393 times
So I have been looking into Sacred Heart's football program and have a few questions. Coming From southern California, I am obviously used to the warm weather, but have no problem in switching to cold. What is the town like? is it a college town?, or just another suburban area of NYC? Does it have a nightlife?, or is it dead like a small town in Utah? What is there to do in Conneticut?

I love the east coast, and would love to live there for a few years, but i need to do my research before making a 4-5 year committment.

Your imput would be much appreciated.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerocool999 View Post
So I have been looking into Sacred Heart's football program and have a few questions. Coming From southern California, I am obviously used to the warm weather, but have no problem in switching to cold. What is the town like? is it a college town?, or just another suburban area of NYC? Does it have a nightlife?, or is it dead like a small town in Utah? What is there to do in Conneticut?

I love the east coast, and would love to live there for a few years, but i need to do my research before making a 4-5 year committment.

Your imput would be much appreciated.
Fairfield is a suburb of NYC, about an hour north. There are plenty of restaurants, small bars, etc in Fairfield. For nightlife, you can take the train to South Norwalk (SoNo) in 20 minutes where the nightlife is decent. Also there is nightlife in Milford, Stamford and a bit further, Manhattan. Fairfield is on LI Sound with decent beaches but coming from Southern CA they may be of disappointment to you. I know there is some off campus housing for FU students right on the water in Fairfield (I think at least).

Fairfield is not like small town Utah - Connecticut is a suburban state, leafy, four distinct seasons, not very rural. NYC is an hour away, Boston 2 hours, Philly 3 hours, beautiful RI or LI beaches about 2 hours. Either way it's a great college area. There are a few universities nearby (Sacred Heart, Univ of Bridgeport) so there are plenty of young people around.

Good luck, let us know if you have anymore questons.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Scared Heart is located on the border of Bridgeport. In fact some of Scared Heart's facilites are located in Bridgeport. The area is a very nice suburban neighborhood. There is not much immediately around the school though a major shopping mall is within a few minutes away. There are bars and clubs in both Bridgeport and Fairfield for students and there are lots of activites from what I hear. Also New Haven and New York City are not far either.

Is this a college town? No, a college town is generally a place where life revolves around the college and that is not the case here. Jay

Old 01-12-2009, 06:25 PM

119 posts, read 369,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOnDown5250 View Post

You are best to call FU and ask if credits will trxfr when you know what "local school" you will attend for the one year. FU is not keen on taking credits from some CC's and they even may not take your entire year's worth of credits from a typical state school. Since they are a private college, they can be--and are--pretty picky when it comes to trxfr credits. (I have one child there and another that was just accepted for next yr; he'll probably go to NY, though)

Like Jay said, Fairfield is not a college town in the way we've come to use that term. There are plenty of things to do within reasonable travel distance, but who has time to play when YOU ARE STUDYING!!!???

Oh, Q of Life? That's a little hard to answer without knowing what your likes/dislikes are. You drove through, that's a good start. Maybe try talking to some of the students if you have the time to go to the campus again. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut