Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 01:04 PM

11 posts, read 14,303 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job offer in the Norwich, and have some question about the area.

I am relocating with my family from the southwestern US, and I am looking for a very suburban area with really good public schools. I am hoping to keep my drive at around 30 minutes each way, maybe a little longer if the place is right.

Looking to buy a newer house for about $750k

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 01:25 PM

508 posts, read 339,407 times
Glastonbury is about 30 minutes from Norwich, and their public schools usually crack the top 10 for the state. Homes cost more there because of the stellar public schools. However, I wouldn't sleep on East Lyme - 20ish minutes away with a well regarded public school system.

Old 02-15-2022, 01:27 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Colchester, Marlborough, Hebron, the Lymes or Glastonbury.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:10 PM

11 posts, read 14,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
Glastonbury is about 30 minutes from Norwich, and their public schools usually crack the top 10 for the state. Homes cost more there because of the stellar public schools. However, I wouldn't sleep on East Lyme - 20ish minutes away with a well regarded public school system.
I appreciate it.

Glastonbury looks really nice. How possible would be to commute from there to UConn? My older kid is couple years away from college, and we're hoping that living at home and commuting to UConn would be a possibility.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:17 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_move_again View Post
I appreciate it.

Glastonbury looks really nice. How possible would be to commute from there to UConn? My older kid is couple years away from college, and we're hoping that living at home and commuting to UConn would be a possibility.
Google maps shows Glastonbury to UCONN-Storrs is 32 minutes. Very doable.

750k in Glastonbury will get you a new construction colonial.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare

Of course, you’ll get more for your money in towns like Marlborough, Hebron and Colchester, all of which are beautiful. The biggest difference is perception - people will nod approvingly when you say you live in “Glastonbury” due to the name. If I were you, I’d focus more on Colchester for ease of commute, though.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:30 PM

508 posts, read 339,407 times
Quote:
I appreciate it.

As stated above, UCONN is a half hour commute from Glastonbury. There area lot of solid suburbs in the area that the other poster mentioned, like Colchester, Marlborough, etc. Glastonbury is a better funded district, so you will enjoy those perks, e.g. when schools went remote in 2020, kids in Glastonbury already have district funded ipads and were given a district funded internet connection if they didn't have one.

You certainly do not need to be in the most highly funded district to get a good education in CT. If you are looking strictly at suburbs, it is harder to find a bad district than a good one. I am more making the point that the Glastonburys and other well funded districts in CT aren't riding on name alone as mentioned above. There are reasons why parents pay more for homes in those towns to get their kids in the schools.

Also, keep in mind other details that may matter to you (or not). The more rural suburbs like Hebron and Marlborough have regional schools. Others like Colchester and Glastonbury have town schools.

Old 02-15-2022, 02:30 PM

34,634 posts, read 56,360,262 times
Unfortunately the towns around Norwich tend to be more rural in character so you are going to have to travel to get to towns that are affluent suburbs like you want.

Glastonbury is just over 30 miles from Norwich so the commute would be more like 45 minutes depending where you live and work. Glastonbury is one of the most desirable and affluent suburbs in greater Hartford. The schools are among the best in the state and the town has a lot of great stores and restaurants. That said there are other towns closer to Norwich that you might want to consider.

A few other towns a little closer to Norwich that you may like are Marlborough and Hebron. They have good schools, some nice stores and restaurants but are a little rural in character. Colchester is a charming small town with a charming town center and some nice shops and restaurants. The schools though aren’t among the best in the state but they aren’t bad. It’s about 16 miles to Norwich.

East Lyme is about 17 miles from Norwich so the commute would be about 20 minutes depending where you live and work. It’s a beautiful town with very good schools and a lot of good stores and restaurants. It has a wonderful beach vibe that you may like, though traffic in town gets busy in the summer.

Anothe nice town is Stonington which is about 20 miles from Norwich. It got a charming fishing village feel to it. It also is home to part of Mystic which is a charming village that is one ofThe states biggest tourist destinations. It features historic Mystic Village and Mystic Aquarium and a number of charming shops and restaurants. The schools are good but not among the best. Jay

Old 02-15-2022, 03:05 PM

362 posts, read 770,985 times
With the exception of Norwich and Groton/New London, that part of CT is more rural than suburban. You would be looking at a 20-30 minute drive to get to shopping and health care centers, with a few scattered stores and (lots) of Dunkin Donuts in small town centers. As another poster mentioned, many of those small towns have regional school districts due to low population density. Most of the towns along 395 do not fit your requirements. The further west you go, towards Hartford on Rte. 2, the more suburban things get. I agree with others that Glastonbury might be a great choice for you.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:40 PM

1,894 posts, read 1,543,323 times
Quote:
I am considering a job offer in the Norwich, and have some question about the area.

I am relocating with my family from the southwestern US, and I am looking for a very suburban area with really good public schools. I am hoping to keep my drive at around 30 minutes each way, maybe a little longer if the place is right.

Looking to buy a newer house for about $750k

Thanks.
Your best bet would probably be Old Saybrook! It is a very nice and upscale town with a great suburban feel and even a touristic area. Great schools, as well as a huge amount of amenities. $750K will get you pretty far in Eastern CT. Check out Fenwick Area specifically. That is very upscale, and might be beyond your budget, but it never hurts to look there. Overall, Old Saybrook in general is really great and just about 30 min from Norwich.

You can also look at East Lyme, Stonington, and Glastonbury. Glastonbury might be a little further but like others have said, it also fits the description you are looking for pretty well. East Lyme is great, and so is Stonington.

One thing to note with Stonington though is that it's a large town in area, and the amenities might be further away from each other compared to the other towns. Glastonbury, East Lyme, and Old Saybrook have specific downtowns. Stonington not so much. You have Mystic Area, the Stonington Borough, and Pawcatuck which are good areas with amenities but its a little more spread out, and the rest of the town is quite rural.

Like others have mentioned, there are other great towns with good schools around the area, but are very rural, and might not be best option for you. Colchester might be worth looking at, but its a small downtown with not that much there, and the rest is pretty rural.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:43 PM

1,894 posts, read 1,543,323 times
Oh wait a second, I just read your second post and are looking at the possibility of commuting to UCONN from home. If that is the case, Glastonbury is probably your best bet. Old Saybrook, East Lyme, and Stonington are a little far from UCONN and will be hectic for your kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut