Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,219 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are considering a modest weekend place along the Connecticut shore. I know there are several towns along the Shoreline East rail line. Can any recommend any specific neighborhoods or towns that we should consider over the rest?

We currently live in NYC, and don't want to drive from the city, but would consider keeping a car in CT. Ideally, we're looking for something that's convenient to a train station, but is also close to water (either the Sound, or a lake).

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 AM

43 posts, read 276,942 times
How far up the coastline do you want to go?

Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
Candlewood Lake just north of Danbury,CT is a very popular weekend destination.It's about 15 minute trip up from the Brewster,NY train station (The Harlem Line, 85 minutes from Grand Central). It has over 60 miles of shoreline, and my colleagues at my office (I'm a realtor in the area) have had clients buy weekend homes up here.Outside of the lake are a lot of great restuarants, shopping and the country.
The prices for homes near the lake vary by the size, proxminty to the lake, features of the home as well as if it is in a waterfornt community or not. The 2 bedroom,1 bath 800 square foot ranch near a few blocks from the lake range from $200,000 up to about $275,000. I do not know how much you are looking to invest but prices go all the way up about $3 million.

Here are some pictures of the lake

http://www.pattym.com/Area_Pics/CandlewoodLake.jpg (broken link)

The lakes feel like Vermont, with only being about 90 minutes for the city.

Jonathan Hall

Last edited by Marka; 01-05-2007 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 01-03-2007, 12:52 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Out of the towns Shoreline East serves, I would look into Clinton, Westbrook, Madison and Guilford. You might also like Mystic or Stonington, but the train would drop you off in New London.

Connecticut doesn't have any huge lakes, they are all fairly small. I think Candlewood, that jd posted, is one of the largest in the state.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:58 PM

439 posts, read 721,278 times
Candlewood is the largest man made, not natural lake.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:20 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Do you know what the largest natural lake is? For some reason I want to say Poctopaug in East Hampton, but I could be way off.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:18 PM

33 posts, read 159,868 times
Man-made or natural, does it matter, it's a lake and a nice one at that. BTW Candlewood wasn't dug up yesterday. It's about 80 years old.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:32 PM

439 posts, read 721,278 times
Not sure what the largest natural lake is- you might be right however about Lake Poctopaug. I was not making any subjective evaluation on Candlewoods aesthetic beauty- just its origin.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:55 PM

154 posts, read 802,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Out of the towns Shoreline East serves, I would look into Clinton, Westbrook, Madison and Guilford. You might also like Mystic or Stonington, but the train would drop you off in New London.

Connecticut doesn't have any huge lakes, they are all fairly small. I think Candlewood, that jd posted, is one of the largest in the state.
I second these. They are great small towns with a small town feel where you are able to stroll around or take a leisurely bike ride. They have great restaurants in the area, are closer to the better beaches in the state such as those in Old Lyme and there are many festivals in the summer and fall like the Mystic Art Festival. There is also quite a bit of shopping in the area with two major outlets, Clinton Crossings and Westbrook Commons. Another plus is being closer to Rhode Island which along the shore, or an excursion to block island/martha's vineyard make good day trips.

I've also heard Candlewood lake is great from my girlfriend who visited a friends house there on the lake, however I have never been there personally.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:14 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
Candlewood is actually of the 3rd largest manmade lakes in the east. It is great for swimming, fishing and boating in the allowed areas. The lake is has parts in the city of Danbury and the towns of New Fairfield, Brookfield, New Milford and Sherman.
I found a couple of others of it for us to enjoy:
http://66.251.57.41/images/starburst.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by jdhall1; 01-03-2007 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: a photo was bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut