Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:56 AM

526 posts, read 1,002,798 times

Advertisements

It seems AP test scores weigh heavily on the results in this listing. When I went to New Fairfield High (Which has been on these top school listings since I was there in the 80s) The school's main focus was the AP tests. The top students took the main subjects Sophomore year so that they could spend Senior year studing for the less taken/more difficult APs (often taking classes at Westcon). Then senor year most teachers spent their time specifically teaching for the APs for the rest of student body. As a result the overall AP scores were incredible and it catapluted the school one year into the National spotlight.

Why are these test so important? Many schools accept AP scores as college credit. When I started college I had an entire semester's worth of credits just due from the AP scores. It saved me thousands of dollars in tuition - one less semester to pay for.

I guess my point is not just to look at these lists but look at the criteria behind them. It's a big deal and makes a difference not just in your child's high school experience but beyond it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM

95 posts, read 291,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I hear you regarding magazines. But their method of obtaining these scores is pretty good, even if they skip some states. Sure beats out Forbes.

Glastonbury may have not changed, but that could be enough to kick it off the list. Other schools may have changed for the better (like Bolton).
I'm sorry, but there is no way you can tell me Bolton has better schools than Glastonbury. I am pretty sure the town of Glastonbury is a more sought after town for a number of reasons, one of them being the school system. I also have to say that I find it hard to believe that Hall did not make the list. This list seems flawed because I DO NOT believe Bridgeport or Hartford would be anywhere close to the top 25 schools in our state. BTW, Glastonbury has many kids attending ivy's, and other very prestigious colleges this year. I don't think the same can be said for Bolton.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:14 AM

722 posts, read 1,982,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENN24 View Post
I'm sorry, but there is no way you can tell me Bolton has better schools than Glastonbury. I am pretty sure the town of Glastonbury is a more sought after town for a number of reasons, one of them being the school system. I also have to say that I find it hard to believe that Hall did not make the list. This list seems flawed because I DO NOT believe Bridgeport or Hartford would be anywhere close to the top 25 schools in our state. BTW, Glastonbury has many kids attending ivy's, and other very prestigious colleges this year. I don't think the same can be said for Bolton.

In my opinion, a school system is a great school system when it challenges its students. If Glastonbury claims has the best in connecticut, then looking at all of students be attending ivy league or tier I schools. I go to school with a ton of kids from Glastonbury whose parents are doctors. They're all at UCONN, where if they were challenged in high school, they'd probably be in better schools.

If schools in Bridgeport and Hartford are taking kids from low income, low challenging, no-speaking english households and is preparing them for college, you wouldn't say that they are among the best?

You cant claim that because Glastonbury has a high rate of sending students to ivy league schools that they are have a one of the greatest in the state. Waterbury sends its students to ivy league schools and even I, a proud graduate of the wps, would say that its far from one of the best school districts.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
In my opinion Bolton and Glastonbury are both very good schools.
However which one is BETTER would be determined by each individuals needs from that school and what their expectations are. To one person Glastonbury may be the better fit and fr another Bolton. Schools should be fit to our children and their needs and so you cannot always decide which is better by simply reading info from some paper.

I would not determine the number of students going to "IVY" league schools as a better school. I think it would all depend on if the student becomes a good person, and a hard worker in whatever field they choose.
Even if my children got into IVY league schools, they wouldn't be going, because we simply wouldn't be able to afford it.
Nothing wrong with state school....

though I dont agree with BrassCITY trying to compare bridgeport and hartford to glastonbury... No contest within those schools at least to me.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:45 PM

326 posts, read 1,452,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
They're all at UCONN, where if they were challenged in high school, they'd probably be in better schools.
Are you saying that UConn is not good? This is the first time I hear it.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:07 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
UCONN is affordable, thats why people use it.. SHEESH.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
UCONN is affordable, thats why people use it.. SHEESH.
And it has a good reputation for a public university. Jay

Old 05-12-2009, 03:03 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
In my opinion Bolton and Glastonbury are both very good schools.
However which one is BETTER would be determined by each individuals needs from that school and what their expectations are. To one person Glastonbury may be the better fit and fr another Bolton. Schools should be fit to our children and their needs and so you cannot always decide which is better by simply reading info from some paper.

I would not determine the number of students going to "IVY" league schools as a better school. I think it would all depend on if the student becomes a good person, and a hard worker in whatever field they choose.
Even if my children got into IVY league schools, they wouldn't be going, because we simply wouldn't be able to afford it.
Nothing wrong with state school....

though I dont agree with BrassCITY trying to compare bridgeport and hartford to glastonbury... No contest within those schools at least to me.
Bolton High has less than 300 students, Glastonbury High has over 2,000. Which is better? I do not know. In Bolton it would be pretty hard for a student to get lost in the sea of students, but Glastonbury offers a wealth of courses that Bolton could never afford. Does going to big high school prepare you better for going to a college or university? I don't know that either. Maybe it does and maybe it does not. It is a matter of opinion. Jay

Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 PM

95 posts, read 291,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
In my opinion, a school system is a great school system when it challenges its students. If Glastonbury claims has the best in connecticut, then looking at all of students be attending ivy league or tier I schools. I go to school with a ton of kids from Glastonbury whose parents are doctors. They're all at UCONN, where if they were challenged in high school, they'd probably be in better schools.

If schools in Bridgeport and Hartford are taking kids from low income, low challenging, no-speaking english households and is preparing them for college, you wouldn't say that they are among the best?

You cant claim that because Glastonbury has a high rate of sending students to ivy league schools that they are have a one of the greatest in the state. Waterbury sends its students to ivy league schools and even I, a proud graduate of the wps, would say that its far from one of the best school districts.
I agree with you in some respects. However...good schools have to pick students from low income areas, no matter if the high school is good or bad. Glastonbury and other wealthy towns are so competitive because these great universities and colleges can only pick from a select few from these towns. I don't think you know just how competitive our town is in just about every respect. If you take the number 100 at Glastonbury High School who has about a 4.0 gpa (a fact) that student will get into a good school but maybe not Yale or Harvard. If I'm going to be brutally honest here: Let's face it..many number 1's from various high schools around Glastonbury could not even contend in the top 50 students at our school. For you to even think that a high school in Bridgeport or Hartford could be compared to Glastonbury and high schools alike, is just plain funny. If you take a look at all the valedictorians at the local schools in the local paper, they are compared and have their SAT scores there. It is just embarrassing IMO that some valedictorians barely get 500 on each section.
I also have to say that UCONN is a good school. Many kids go to UCONN that get into top notch schools so there is no need to bash that college.

To the other post: I am not suggesting that Bolton has bad schools, just that Glastonbury offers more. In my opinion, I don't think you can compare the two.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:27 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TENN24 View Post
Maybe because of the smaller population? Simple math.

Also, how do you know the same percentage cannot be said for Bolton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut