Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2022, 02:02 PM

2,175 posts, read 1,639,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Yup. One other thing to consider is that people are more likely to vote for a town based on familiarity. Some of these towns are not "bad" but off the beaten path (maybe some folks would not want that, others would). Connecticut is just not that large a state, so to say that a town is far from a major artery, that could mean like 10-15 minutes away, not an hour. For people who like nature and a small, quiet town, I would have to say don't rule out these towns: Pomfret, Union, Andover, Hampton, Lebanon, Willington, Bolton, Eastford, Sprague, Franklin, Plymouth, Chaplin, Voluntown, Canterbury, Bozrah, Colebrook, Sterling. People vote "against" them because they've never been there and maybe have never heard of them.
To be honest, I am not a huge fan of Lebanon, Sprague, Plymouth, Chaplin, Voluntown, Bozrah, or Sterling. They are not horrible towns by any means, but in my opinion they are mediocre at best and sort of working class rural suburbs.

However: Pomfret, Union, Andover, Hampton, Willington, Bolton, Eastford, and Colebrook are better. They are rural as well but nicer in my opinion.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:45 PM

982 posts, read 599,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
To be honest, I am not a huge fan of Lebanon, Sprague, Plymouth, Chaplin, Voluntown, Bozrah, or Sterling. They are not horrible towns by any means, but in my opinion they are mediocre at best and sort of working class rural suburbs.

However: Pomfret, Union, Andover, Hampton, Willington, Bolton, Eastford, and Colebrook are better. They are rural as well but nicer in my opinion.
Voluntown and bozrah have median household incomes over $80K. I wouldn't call them working class.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTableKnight View Post
(some just had a rough first round matchup),
Sometimes rough matchups can cost towns. In 2016, one matchup in Round 1 was West Hartford vs Old Saybrook, because seeding was done by Fairfield, New Haven, Hartford, and New London Counties.

West Hartford went out in the first Round, and that was talked a lot about throughout the whole 2016 tournament. However, we know that West Hartford is a great upscale suburb in CT. Sometimes the draws can haunt towns.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:59 AM

709 posts, read 402,050 times
Agree. Though I'm sure in that tournament West Hartford didnt lose by 15+ votes like Sterling, Ansonia, Meriden, Enfield, Waterbury, Torrington and Plainfield did in this one. When theres a gap that large there's the consensus that these places have nothing going for it (bad schools, high taxes, zero nightlife, poor services etc) and if someone from out of state posts a thread is looking for "recommendations to live in Meriden", the responses are going to try and sway that person to a different town.

Nico7 said-People vote "against" them because they've never been there and maybe have never heard of them though I don't believe that is the case for at least the bottom 6. I think people on this forum know those towns well enough to never choose them in a 1 on 1 matchup no matter the opponent.

I'd like to see a CT town tournament matchup between the towns who lost in the first 3 rounds by 10+ votes and see what happens. Those towns include Hartford, Sherman, East Hampton, Newington, Hebron, Ellington, Easton, North Haven (round 3). New Hartford, Plainville, Warren, Colchester, East Granby, Thomaston, Lisbon, Scotland, Tolland, Ledyard, Montville, New Britain, Prospect, Hartland, Killingly, Wolcott (round 2 exits), Plymouth, Chaplin, Beacon Falls, Voluntown, Canterbury, Bozrah, Winchester, Colebrook, Preston, Sterling, Ansonia, Meriden, Enfield, Waterbury, Torrington and Plainfield (round 1 exits).

(I think any town that made it to the 4th round is considered to be a great CT town even if they were swept. Canton was -10 and Avon -13 which doesn't mean anything because either of those towns could win next year's tournament)

Now the towns who finish in the bottom 6 in a tournament like that, then we REALLY don't like them lol. (The only thing that might save Ansonia is if it was matched up against Waterbury) And does the winner get say, a participation trophy? The winner of the rejects has to come with some bragging rights no?

Old 06-01-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Agree. Though I'm sure in that tournament West Hartford didnt lose by 15+ votes like Sterling, Ansonia, Meriden, Enfield, Waterbury, Torrington and Plainfield did in this one. When theres a gap that large there's the consensus that these places have nothing going for it (bad schools, high taxes, zero nightlife, poor services etc) and if someone from out of state posts a thread is looking for "recommendations to live in Meriden", the responses are going to try and sway that person to a different town.

Nico7 said-People vote "against" them because they've never been there and maybe have never heard of them though I don't believe that is the case for at least the bottom 6. I think people on this forum know those towns well enough to never choose them in a 1 on 1 matchup no matter the opponent.

I'd like to see a CT town tournament matchup between the towns who lost in the first 3 rounds by 10+ votes and see what happens. Those towns include Hartford, Sherman, East Hampton, Newington, Hebron, Ellington, Easton, North Haven (round 3). New Hartford, Plainville, Warren, Colchester, East Granby, Thomaston, Lisbon, Scotland, Tolland, Ledyard, Montville, New Britain, Prospect, Hartland, Killingly, Wolcott (round 2 exits), Plymouth, Chaplin, Beacon Falls, Voluntown, Canterbury, Bozrah, Winchester, Colebrook, Preston, Sterling, Ansonia, Meriden, Enfield, Waterbury, Torrington and Plainfield (round 1 exits).

(I think any town that made it to the 4th round is considered to be a great CT town even if they were swept. Canton was -10 and Avon -13 which doesn't mean anything because either of those towns could win next year's tournament)

Now the towns who finish in the bottom 6 in a tournament like that, then we REALLY don't like them lol. (The only thing that might save Ansonia is if it was matched up against Waterbury) And does the winner get say, a participation trophy? The winner of the rejects has to come with some bragging rights no?
Yes, West Hartford vs Old Saybrook was like 10-6 to Old Saybrook.

I do have to say that I think Meriden is underrated a bit. I was just looking at that town for my son a few months ago, and it has rundown areas and not the best, but I wouldn't say its horrible either. It's better than Waterbury and many of the other bottom 6 in my opinion.

Out of the towns you listed, my guys is that Hartford or East Hampton would be favorites to win against all the rest. Maybe Newington.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:52 PM

34 posts, read 21,723 times
Seems like some people in Milford are taking the tight loss in the Finals very hard...

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...ights/2798016/

Old 06-01-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieb160 View Post
seems like some people in milford are taking the tight loss in the finals very hard...

lol!!!!!!

Old 06-02-2022, 06:39 AM

538 posts, read 331,104 times
Quote:
These here first round exits will be beneficial to those looking to move here and wondering what "towns to avoid" lol. Though I wouldn't not recommend some of these towns (some just had a rough first round matchup), you can make a case for the bottom 6 or so to avoid. Poor Torrington, on continues to undeserved bad rep which was discussed in another thread on the first page. We also know that if there's any of our "larger" cities to avoid at all costs, it's clearly Waterbury.
Hamden has a lot going for it in terms of things to do and proximity to New Haven. It's just hard to recommend the town to families since the property taxes are so high and schools are below-to-average. Also the crime in the southern portion is a detriment too.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:46 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB160 View Post
Seems like some people in Milford are taking the tight loss in the Finals very hard...

I now someone who lived right near Silver Sands State Beach. Anyone can get into Silver Sands from other towns. The people who are on the Silver Sands Beach can walk right over to Walnut Beach. So if you are looking for peace and quiet if you buy property near a Milford Beach think twice before buying in that area of beaches.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:52 AM

709 posts, read 402,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB160 View Post

lol

Not only that, Plainfield is so devastated by their crushing defeat in the first round and not really taking the title of CT's Worst Town very well so some residents are refusing to wear clothes and driving erratically in protest.

Plainfield PD: Nude man arrested after crashing into parked cars
https://www.ctinsider.com/news/artic...g-17208191.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut