Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2022, 07:26 PM

138 posts, read 114,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post

27 voters all together for this whole tournament. Pretty good, but not as many voters as we've had in the previous two tournaments. Let's try and shoot for 35 voters in 2024!!! Thanks all of you for voting and participating in this tournament.

Participated the last couple times. Not this time, didn't see the point. You personally do a wonderful job.

That said, it's a same ol', same ol' tournament. Shoreline to the top, less known places in the state to the bottom. People forgive crime in one city (New Haven) but it's the only consideration for others (Hartford/Bridgeport).

Needs to be changed up, in my opinion. Pick a theme. For example, next tournament can focus on cultural aspects, or eateries, or the economy, etc etc.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:45 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha830 View Post
People forgive crime in one city (New Haven) but it's the only consideration for others (Hartford/Bridgeport).
Maybe because New Haven has so much more going for it?

Old 06-10-2022, 08:54 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times
Quote:
Participated the last couple times. Not this time, didn't see the point. You personally do a wonderful job.

That said, it's a same ol', same ol' tournament. Shoreline to the top, less known places in the state to the bottom. People forgive crime in one city (New Haven) but it's the only consideration for others (Hartford/Bridgeport).

Needs to be changed up, in my opinion. Pick a theme. For example, next tournament can focus on cultural aspects, or eateries, or the economy, etc etc.
I'll try and think about how I can make next tournament a little different, but here's the problem with that. When it comes to theme, like food, etc, it's not as diverse, and I am not sure if everyone will really know how to vote.

One thing I was thinking of doing is combining two towns together and start with 89 double towns instead of 169 towns. However, that idea was met with a lot of protest and opposition, so I probably will not do that unless I suddenly get a lot more support for that.

Honestly though, things do change a bit. I wouldn't say all the tournaments have been exactly the same, and opinions change. I mentioned this earlier in the tournament but the towns that were favorites to go far are considerably different compared to like 2016. Yeah the Top 3-4 towns are the same, but the others have been back and fourth.

Like in 2016: Milford was not a very strong supported town, but it was second place this time. In 2016, the Farmington Valley Towns were a lot stronger, and now they don't have that much popularity. New Haven is another town that has gained considerable ground. New Haven was not nearly as strong in 2016 and 2018. Norwalk is another town that keeps gaining traction.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
People forgive crime in one city (New Haven) but it's the only consideration for others (Hartford/Bridgeport).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Maybe because New Haven has so much more going for it?
I have a few things to say about this.

First of all both Bridgeport and Hartford have considerably more crime than New Haven. Honestly there are only three bad areas in New Haven: Newhallville/Dixwell Area, Fair Haven, and The Hill. The Hill is getting better and is not even super terrible, but has its rough moments. Honestly, the rest of New Haven is pretty decent. Their are several other areas that might not be the best, but very acceptable areas to live in and the crime is not that bad at all: Fair Haven Heights, Amity, to name a few. On the other hand, Hartford and Bridgeport have a lot more areas that are bad and unsafe in terms of crime.

In fact let's consider the good areas of each city. In Hartford, really the only very good area is Downtown / Capitol & Historical Area. If it wasn't for that area, Hartford would probably perform close to Waterbury's level. Now don't get me wrong, it is a great area, and has great museums which is why Hartford performs alright in these tournaments. In Bridgeport: Black Rock, Brooklawn/St. Vincent, and the North End are the only really good areas. The city is getting better and both Bridgeport and Hartford have things going for it, but it still has along way to go to be compared with New Haven.

On the other hand, New Haven has A LOT MORE going for it. Very famous restaurants, Yale University, and a lot more. I mean people actually go there for city life unlike Bridgeport and Hartford (MAYBE Hartford, but not like New Haven). Also Prospect Hill and East Rock are some upscale areas of the city (They don't compare to upscale suburbs but they are pretty nice). As far as I know, Bridgeport and Hartford don't have any upscale areas like that. Maybe Black Rock, but not as upscale as East Rock/Prospect Hill.

To be honest with the stuff that New Haven has going for it, it feels like a very tiny version of Boston. It's an actual city that attracts people and not just one of those cities that is mostly not nice.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:47 PM

6,881 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Quote:

The Forum just hasn't been the same since the Tournament ended. It went by so fast, now it's a long two year wait until 2024 Town Tournament - Make CT Even Greater.

The key is to campaign for your town. Give it coverage but the right kind of coverage. Affable natured Stylo is a brilliant campaigner. He doesn't say much but when he does it speaks volumes. Now Milford is a perennial finalist. Trumbull is a great example of how not to campaign. It's now just known for it's zoning and sewer systems. Voters were turned off.
I'm going to push to get Darien in the Sweet 16 in 2024. It's off to a good start fighting off proggy radicals who want to put up tenement housing on Great Island and the amazing Ziegler's Cove.

Old 06-11-2022, 12:56 PM

4,450 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I have a few things to say about this.

First of all both Bridgeport and Hartford have considerably more crime than New Haven.
You didn't check city-data info.

Crime 2019 US Average is 270
New Haven....431
Hartford........379
Bridgeport.....290 (Surprise!)

Old 06-11-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

New Haven....431
Hartford........379
Hmm, that’s weird. I never expected that.

Old 06-11-2022, 01:59 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:

New Haven....431
Hartford........379
I bet that year was a total fluke for Hartford. And it’s still the murder capital of the state by quite a bit

When will we see 2020 and 2021?

Old 06-11-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I bet that year was a total fluke for Hartford. And it’s still the murder capital of the state by quite a bit

When will we see 2020 and 2021?
Media Hartford/Suburbs Bias!!!!

It's like I go on the media and the top towns to live in are like West Hartford, Simsbury, Avon, Farmington, etc. The Media is so bias towards Hartford/Suburbs!

Just like how CNN is liberal bias, Fox is conservative bias, etc. The Media is Hartford Bias when talking about towns in CT.

Old 06-11-2022, 08:39 PM

6,881 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Quote:

New Haven....431
Hartford........379
A mild surprise but if you think about it, the Black Rock section might be the nicest area of all three. Also, the Fairfield side has nice areas indistinguishable from Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut