Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times

Advertisements

I just looked back at this thread and thought I should reply with an additional perspective. I have had business dealings in Granby and have found the people there to be wonderful. The business was something they did not really want and the residents were out in somewhat full force against it (they knew they could not stop it), but they were so curtious and so nice about it that I really thought that I would move there if my work ever allowed. One woman came up to me and said "We do not want you, but thank you for at least making this work better and have a nice day". Even walking around town people would always say hello.

As for Granby being a bit rural, they are, but they now have a major supermarket there (there now is a Stop & Shop on Route 10) and some other small retail businesses. I would guess eventually that there will be more. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 12:53 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,132 times
I grew up in Avon. Moved there in 1972...when the population was about 1/10 of what it is now (Al's Pizza anyone?). The days of letting your dogs roam (people didnt mind then) and kids roaming in the woods and building tree forts...that is the Avon I remember. Jumping off the tressle in Collinsville into the Farmington...Kind of like Harwinton with a little bit more commerical.

Avon 2007....lots of McMansions. Lots of Marty McGillicuddie corporate gypsies who live in these McMansions who dont go outside much (take a tour of the Westmont area and count the number of folks outside..good luck). Lots of very overprotective angst ridden parents who just need to let their kids BE (we also didnt have PLAYGROUPS growing up). Considering how much money there claims to be around there....it is a culinary desert unless you think the 99, Dakota, and First and Last are fine dining. Favorite frequent site on 44 is the manicured hoursefrau munching her chicken nuggets at McDonalds in a BMW or some other swanky new motorcar...the same Mom who thinks sophistication is trudging into Starbucks to get her latte and to buy a Diana Krall or Kenny G. CD.

Sorry, but Avon has become a soulless antiseptic suburban wasteland. Simsbury and Canton have a hell of a lot more charm. My parents live over the in western Avon area in a 1965 dutch colonial....they are there because they dont like AZ or FL and love the change of seasons. It's also close to the cool recreational stuff we have in the region (we flyfish a lot on the Farmington).

I think Avon is hyped by...a lot of the newcomers. That's fine...but I would hardly call the town the Shangri-Las. Many of my friends families still live there....the attitude of someone who has lived there 30+ years might be very different from a corporate passerby. I just see soulless spawl that is creeping further out to Burlington and New Hartford now....

Old 04-24-2007, 08:51 PM

10 posts, read 59,546 times
I think you really need to come visit Simsbury!! If your wife grew up there, she will enjoy seeing what has changed & what has stayed the same. I am not a resident, but was lucky enough to be friendly with a mothers group in Simsbury that just happened to be made up of all non-CT residents. My friends came from all over the US including Dallas, Maine, San Francisco, and Philadelphia. They all LOVED Simsbury! It scored best due to its outstanding school system, and wide variety of family-friendly activities. Of course, these were all moms. Overall, though, there are a lot of activities (summer camp, swim lessons, play grounds, local fairs & festivals, etc.) within the town itself. This is what is missing in my town (E. Granby, CT.) Also, Simsbury has plenty of shopping, dining & cultural opportunities both in town and nearby. I would move to Simsbury myself, if only I could afford the Real Estate taxes!!! We looked for years for a house in both Granby, E. Granby & Simsbury, but just could not find the right one for our budget. There is a big difference between Granby and Simsbury...pride in home ownership is one of the issues. Granby abuts some more rural towns (Southwick, MA) and has some less-cared-for neighborhoods. Overall, Simsbury is the epitome of an ideal New England town in CT! Good luck!

Last edited by rn2008fl2009; 04-24-2007 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-28-2007, 07:38 PM

162 posts, read 849,410 times
Default Moving To Ct

My husband and I have been living in CT about 25 years. (Well, he's been here all his life, and I 25 years - from NJ). What's funny is we are considering a move to AZ because there are more jobs there and we are sick of winter. Some people here, as you know, actually like the cold and snow. We don't care for it and find it more challenging as we get older. We are in our early 50's. We can't imagine dealing with the slippery roads and sidewalks when we are older. On the other hand, there is the heat in AZ that can be intolerable. I would rather sweat than freeze. I also prefer the desert look than green. Yet, I must say, New England is very unique and pretty and not full of the tract housing going up in AZ. If you are going back to Simsbury, or near Avon it is still very pretty there and still has that quaint feeling. Yet, the traffic on Rt. 4 is nuts - very busy - esp. going towards Rt. 84 at rush hour. Yet, on a beautiful fall day Old Wethersfield is still the most magical place to be - just amazing. So the charm is still here - hidden in some quiet corners behind the bustlings of the highway. I think the job market here is awful - compared to what others say on the post. I know numerous people laid off last year and this - including my husband a few weeks ago. I'm certain the market is better around Phoenix. Hartford, to me, is still a deadbeat town - it's trying to get better - but it's taking time. There is a new convention center there - and I believe a Science Center coming sometime in the near future. So, those of my thoughts - hope
it helps some. If you have time please email me what you know about Surprise or Peoria in terms of living there - also the weather in terms of monsoons and dust storms, yard pests, etc. Thanks - my email is
Peasmailbox@aol.com

Old 04-29-2007, 09:44 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinecities View Post
Hartford, to me, is still a deadbeat town - it's trying to get better - but it's taking time. There is a new convention center there - and I believe a Science Center coming sometime in the near future. [/email]
I respect your opinions and reasons for moving...but I really have to take issue with that statement.

When was the last time you were in DT Hartford? Do you relize there is a few BILLION yes, with a B in development going on? Did you miss that 36 story luxury apartment building rise? Did you miss the new restaurants in town? How about the condo's on Main and temple in the resurrected and restored Sage Allen building? The new townhomes on the reopened and revamped Temple Street? The Colt projects going on? The Front Street project as part of Adrien's Landing? The nationaly recognized UCONN business school set up in Constitution Plaza with the Jumbotron and super high tech trading floor? etc etc etc those are just a few of the many projects underway right now.

There is a TON of developement going on in Hartford...not just some convention center and I think a science center.

Enjoy AZ, I wish you the best...just don't call this city deadbeat if you havn't a clue to what's actually going on.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:29 AM

615 posts, read 1,374,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZParents View Post
Also, another major reason for me to move back there is the Red Sox!
In Phoenix we have the Arizona Diamondbacks. They have the best farm system in all of major league baseball and are producing many outstanding young players. They are expected to be a contender in 2007 and will be one of the best teams in all of major league baseball for the next several years. I know that Fenway Park is a historic ballpark but it is old and small, and getting a ticket there is expensive and parking near Fenway Park is virtually non-existent. At Chase Field you can go to almost every game for a relatively reasonable cost and you can park for free in downtown Phoenix. Why not stay in Arizona and be a Diamondbacks fan?

Ken Akerman
Tempe, AZ

Old 05-04-2007, 01:58 AM

639 posts, read 2,710,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
In Phoenix we have the Arizona Diamondbacks. They have the best farm system in all of major league baseball and are producing many outstanding young players. They are expected to be a contender in 2007 and will be one of the best teams in all of major league baseball for the next several years. I know that Fenway Park is a historic ballpark but it is old and small, and getting a ticket there is expensive and parking near Fenway Park is virtually non-existent. At Chase Field you can go to almost every game for a relatively reasonable cost and you can park for free in downtown Phoenix. Why not stay in Arizona and be a Diamondbacks fan?

Ken Akerman
Tempe, AZ

I went to the game tonight against the Met's. I walked up to the stadium at 7:00pm and bought 3 tickets that were 2 rows above the Met's dugout for $120 total. Got into the stadium and the crowd was around 15,000 people (anounced crowd was 19,800), how pathetic! I love being able to go to a MLB game and buy tickets for $40 last minute and have one of the best seats in the house, but Phoenix doesn't support thier teams (besides the suns) at all. I guess I should be glad of this considering I wouldn't be able to do this at Fenway. There are way to many transplants in Phoenix to have a loyal following to a team, exception again being the suns who have been there since the 60's.

I can't wait until the sox play at Chase field in June. I plan on going to all 3 games and cheering on the sox with 25,000 other Redsox fans. It is going to be great when the place has more visitor fans than home fans!

Sorry about the off topic rant.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:42 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
I went to the game tonight against the Met's. I walked up to the stadium at 7:00pm and bought 3 tickets that were 2 rows above the Met's dugout for $120 total. Got into the stadium and the crowd was around 15,000 people (anounced crowd was 19,800), how pathetic! I love being able to go to a MLB game and buy tickets for $40 last minute and have one of the best seats in the house, but Phoenix doesn't support thier teams (besides the suns) at all. I guess I should be glad of this considering I wouldn't be able to do this at Fenway. There are way to many transplants in Phoenix to have a loyal following to a team, exception again being the suns who have been there since the 60's.

I can't wait until the sox play at Chase field in June. I plan on going to all 3 games and cheering on the sox with 25,000 other Redsox fans. It is going to be great when the place has more visitor fans than home fans!

Sorry about the off topic rant.
I'm a big Mets fan and I'm here in AZ and thought about going to the game this weekend. I'm glad to hear that the tickets are so reasonable! I may still go this weekend.

Boston...i'm not a Yankees fan so I route for the Red Sox whenever possible LOL

Old 05-05-2007, 10:50 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Why not stay in Arizona and be a Diamondbacks fan?

Ken Akerman
Tempe, AZ

You don't get it...seriously - you just don't.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,590 times
Default AZ to CT

Hi There, I just wanted to write and let you know that I completely agree with every point on you're list and you are not alone. I am moving from AZ to CT in a week & 1/2. I'm originally from back east and moved to AZ 5 years ago. I have a fairly good job, also in the insurance field, but for a small company that had very little potential for much more growth... a promotion to UW - but specifically with no pay raise - was mentioned for the future, but it wasn't as much incentive as they thought. I can't take the heat anymore, it's 8:00 at night, the air is on and I'm still sweating. It feels like stepping into an oven every time I open the door, and I get a headache just walking to the car from the heat and the sun. I always loved the winter and snow, and can't wait to be there for the holidays this year, which I just couldn't get into since I've been here. I'm very nervous about the move, and will miss all my coworkers, but as you said, the crime is bad, education, although I don't have kids right now, is terrible. Traffic is awful, I've been in three accidents since I've been here, and one of which was while I was crossing the street on foot! Things are not taken care of properly here, I live in a nice area as well, and pay a good bit of rent considering the small apt., and yet as I type, the air conditioner is dripping into a bucket; which is only one of many problems I've had at this place that they won't fix. And AZ has been like this for many years and is not changing; too many people here don't want it to change. I am going to stay with family, so I don't have any particular city in mind to live in, if anyone can give any tips, I'd love to hear them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut