Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 07:24 PM

366 posts, read 780,599 times

Advertisements

I know you said she wants to be along the coast, but I will throw out West Hartford as ticking all the other boxes. Very walkable downtown with an excellent variety of restaurants. Lovely tree-lined neighborhoods of classic homes with small yards The community is very diverse and very supportive of LGBTQ and has the open-minded sensibility she desires. Has some of its own art and music and easy proximity to more in Hartford. Easy drive to Northampton MA or New Haven if desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 11:34 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
West Hartford is great for a non shoreline option. There’s more cultural outlets in that area than Norwalk/Stamford too.

OP, you didn’t mention a budget or expected type of housing. That’s important as affordability varies by area.

Old 11-20-2022, 03:59 PM

143 posts, read 120,673 times
So I can’t speak for the New Haven scene, but for your daughter I would avoid Westport. That’s for families and kids- not 32 year old singles. Speaking of FFC specifically- Norwalk is a great option. On the water, lots of young, single professionals in their 20s and 30s. On the water but also close to towns that have hiking, woods and nature. You can find art, food and music scenes and very LGBTQ friendly.

Old 11-20-2022, 04:58 PM

6 posts, read 3,919 times
Stylo,
Can you tell me where the younger folks "hang" in Milford?? Thanks!

Old 11-20-2022, 06:05 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxicab View Post
Stylo,
Can you tell me where the younger folks "hang" in Milford?? Thanks!
Downtown bars/restaurants, breweries in area (Tribus---lots of dogs there in summer, Dockside, Two Roads), Cafe Atlantique (coffee shop).

But mostly the big benefit is you get a nice suburb with room and has some activity, that's close to all the things to do in New Haven, Bridgeport/Black Rock, etc.

Otherwise if she really wants to maximize city living in a place that's great for dogs, East Rock/Wooster Square recommendation stands.

Old 11-21-2022, 04:36 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
I am writing in for my 32 year old daughter, who asked me to do so because she has enjoyed the CT threads I have sent her so far. She is single and looking to move to a place in coastal SW CT where she can make friends and be a part of community: open-minded, creative and interesting, LGBTQ presence, arts, culture. She is not into the bar scene, but would hike, do modern or contemporary dance classes, maybe join a book club or drawing class or Italian class. She will rent with her two dogs. She is wfh- a tutor teacher of writing to all ages. She is very interested in New Haven, but her dogs would do better in a less busy area, so she is considering Branford, Milford, Guilford, Fairfield, Black Rock, Norwalk. She enjoys being around open-minded people. She does not want to live in a place full of just families or retirees or techies. Budget is not really the point here; it is more about the type of people who live there- will she have something in common with enough of them- demographics, lifestyle, creative/liberal minded. She does not want to be in the woods, but in a walkable neighborhood with places to walk her dogs and cafes and a sense of town, and loves being on or not far from the coast. A book store, art gallery, an arts center would be nice, you get the idea. She understands that the towns do bleed into drivable regions (she has a car), and that her big initial choice will be be a. the Shoreline/New Haven OR b. further south in FFC. But given her profile, maybe you can help shed light on which would be the specifically better towns, areas, neighborhoods for her to consider, based on nuances of who lives there and what the towns are like. TYIA
I am an artist and musician. I am a lot older than your daughter but it seems we have lot in common in wanting to be in a creative environment. I am married and my husband would never live in a city. If I were single I would love to live......

#1 Choice: Greenwich Village NYC
#2 Choice: Audobon Street, the Arts District area in New Haven. Or close to Audobon Street.

Audobon Street is close to the New Haven Green and Wooster square where I assume you can walk your dogs. But Audobon Street and the area is very expensive, so budget does matter.

Here are specifically the condos I want to live in.....but to live in one I would have to hit the lottery.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...3/pid_46226453

Here is the above for rent for $3200.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...0/pid_50670262

Here is an apartment 500 sf for $1650 in that area. You would have to find out from the other posters if this is a safe area. It seems like it is.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...d/pid_48585031
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In another post in the future I will tell you what I am looking at in retirement in the New Haven area.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 3,919 times
CTartist- wow, Audubon Court is great! Sadly, no pets allowed, at least in the unit for rent, and my D has two dogs. We could swing that price as my husband and I would chip in a bit because we come to NH often and would stay with her rather than at a hotel. Great to know that little area is Arts-oriented. We will be in New Haven Wed and Thursday and will explore all the fun neighborhoods recommended here Her 28 year old (Yale MFA student of painting) cousin lives in East Rock, for example.

All: As you well know, right now, post-pandemic boom, there is a dearth of available rentals and homes for sale, and the prices are very high. Yes, this will be a struggle, anywhere we look. But we do want to target areas that are culturally and socially promising- to explore, and then to select for actual rental hunt. She will be moving Feb 2023 or later. Your help is priceless!!!

Old 11-21-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
CTartist- wow, Audubon Court is great! Sadly, no pets allowed, at least in the unit for rent, and my D has two dogs. We could swing that price as my husband and I would chip in a bit because we come to NH often and would stay with her rather than at a hotel. Great to know that little area is Arts-oriented. We will be in New Haven Wed and Thursday and will explore all the fun neighborhoods recommended here Her 28 year old (Yale MFA student of painting) cousin lives in East Rock, for example.

All: As you well know, right now, post-pandemic boom, there is a dearth of available rentals and homes for sale, and the prices are very high. Yes, this will be a struggle, anywhere we look. But we do want to target areas that are culturally and socially promising- to explore, and then to select for actual rental hunt. She will be moving Feb 2023 or later. Your help is priceless!!!

You are AWESOME parents! (Referring to the bold above)

"With more than 200 concerts each year, there's something for everyone. At the Yale School of Music, concertgoers can experience virtuosic student, faculty, and guest artist recitals; orchestral, choral, and operatic productions; internationally renowned chamber ensembles; and more. Many performances are free and live streamed."
https://music.yale.edu/concerts

I have a musician friend who lives in Milford (he loves Milford) who is retired now. He is always going to the concerts given at Yale and many are free. Look at the addresses for the music venues at Yale and you can see they are close to Audobon Street. There are other music venues besides the Yale venues. Toad's Place and the College Street Music Hall. Stylo and other posters can fill you in on the other music venues close to the Audubon Street area. That is bolded that for Stylo to see.

The Yale art museums are not far from Audobon Street too.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have spent a lot of time in those areas—Norwalk is probably the next best bet for a city, but it lacks cultural amenities like New Haven. It doesn’t have the museums, very limited music scene, not as many walkable vibrant neighborhoods. There’s some art, but not as much. It does have plenty of people her age though, and some good bars/restaurants. Lots of working professionals. It probably edges Milford a bit for things to do, but Milford to me gets an edge because of proximity to New Haven and being less expensive.

Westport is extremely wealthy and family oriented. Any single person I’ve known that rented there, hated it for that reason. It’s a good place if you have a family and a big budget. You’re paying for schools and proximity to NYC.

Fairfield is more diverse than Westport economically. It’s a decent option, but I’m not seeing any compelling reason to be there as it’s not close to a bigger city like New Haven, and is also mostly family oriented. It is a college town, so that helps, but there’s really nothing to do as far as nightlife etc.

Black Rock is great, but very very small. It’s like one street in New Haven. Good restaurants, a few bars, cool art scene, but limited. Cool area though. But might get tired of it and wind up traveling to other areas.

Everything Stylo is writing in his posts I agree with.

1 New Haven near the green/downtown
2 Norwalk SONO area

Old 11-22-2022, 09:24 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Everything Stylo is writing in his posts I agree with.

1 New Haven near the green/downtown
2 Norwalk SONO area
yeah
NH Green DT - I would say consists of singles, techies, intellects, professors. Many outsiders come in to take part in the festivities offered.

Sono - A mixture of singles, younger couples in the pre-house/minivan stage of the marriage, union or partnership, and finally wealthy divorcees and downsized empty nesters from New Canaan, Darien and outer Norwalk.

Both of these areas, many have their eyebrows and noses up in the air like English Lords. I would say Milford center they're closer to earthly levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut