Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 03:44 PM

37 posts, read 172,856 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Sandy Hook (NE Newtown) in a few months and I noticed it was right up by the river. However, it seems there are no places at all for people to enjoy the river except to go all the way down to the damn. Is this the only place Newtowners have to go to enjoy it? Or is it just not nice enough to even enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 04:01 PM

115 posts, read 446,857 times
It's more like a lake not a river, but you can go swimming, boating and fishing in Candlewood Lake in Danbury, which is not too far from Sandy Hook.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 AM

66 posts, read 261,458 times
there's also lake lillanonah and squantz pond nearby. To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone swimming in Lake Zoar in the 15 years I lived in Sandy Hook.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:07 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorPacket View Post
there's also lake lillanonah and squantz pond nearby. To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone swimming in Lake Zoar in the 15 years I lived in Sandy Hook.
There are plenty of beaches on Zoar that can get very crowded during the summer - Southbury's private park, Oxford's private park, Kettletown State Park and Monroe's beach. Maybe not in Newtown - but in the surrounding communities many people boat, jet-ski, canoe and swim in Zoar. Personally I find the water to be a bit murky for swimming but it's great to boat in.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 63,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorPacket View Post
What Lake Zoar are you speaking of?

There are several beaches up and down Zoar, including Jackson Cove, Kettletown state park, a brand new one in Newtown, and a few others up and down that are smaller.

Get yourself a boat though...this is the best way to enjoy this river (lake). Worth the $ to have one if you are going to be living in the area...it is a blast!

We are on Zoar at least once a week during the weekdays (we wakeboard, tube and ski) and always on the weekends. Saturday is a great raft up day in the Kettletown cove. There is usually at least 2 or 3 boats rafted up with us swimming all day, then breaking away for some watersports. SOme weekends we all bring the kids, some weekends we make it adult only. We have had up to 7 or 8 boats all rafted up for the day. This is just our group...there are usually several groups of boats or single boats on the anchor with people swimming.

As well, there is a great sandbar to raft up on just south of 84, but I do prefer Kettletown as there are no waves or current to make it a bit rough as there is on the sandbar.

Lastly, up at the "end" of the river toward Lilly, people sometimes raft up there and swim, but if the dam is open the current is way too strong to enjoy it.

The water is fine to swim in.

Any q's, feel free to email me or of course post here. Especially if you are planning on boating, youre welcome to join in on our raft ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut