Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 08:37 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So what do you buy at Trader Joe’s? Jay
Are you polling all of us?

Bananas, bacon, chicken sausage. Sometimes a pork chop or roast or some beef chunk.
They have great deals on strawberries and blueberries but I don't think they have them in stock now
I get a ton of frozen veggies there, all organic
Organic Butter - not TJs but I can't remember the brand. Way cheaper than the other store I've seen it at
Mac & Cheese and pasta
We just started getting soaps there and organic frozen fruit
Their packaged candies - $3.99 for a container vs 6.59 at S&S (and way more at WF)
We like the manderin chicken but I wish it was gluten free
I usually pick up a pack of hot chocolate there when fall comes, I got dark chocolate sticks this time
Avocado oil
Block cheese
Sometimes chips or crackers
Organic dried mangos $3.99 at TJs, $4.99 at ShopRite, way more at WF

I can walk out of there with 1+ bags stuffed for $60-$70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 07:56 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,186,951 times
TJ guacamole with yogurt is great
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lWujbEzl_3...tj+rg+guac.JPG

Old 02-10-2023, 08:15 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,725,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Not surprising! Wonder how traffic was around there. I went to Manchester today, I'm giving it a couple of weeks too.
From my experience, if I don't get to Trader Joe's within the first hour of when they open or near the end of the day, I can spend almost as much time circling the lot for a parking spot as I do in the market itself collecting the groceries I need. I love the store, but trying to park there is a royal pain in the ass. Even when the honeymoon period ends at that new store, traffic will still be horrendous. It's good for business, not so much for customers.

Old 02-10-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
From my experience, if I don't get to Trader Joe's within the first hour of when they open or near the end of the day, I can spend almost as much time circling the lot for a parking spot as I do in the market itself collecting the groceries I need. I love the store, but trying to park there is a royal pain in the ass. Even when the honeymoon period ends at that new store, traffic will still be horrendous. It's good for business, not so much for customers.
Which one do you go to?

I drove by Glastonbury the other day, parking lot was definitely busy but not completely full. Somewhere between 10 and 11 AM.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:57 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,725,125 times
Quote:
Which one do you go to?

I drove by Glastonbury the other day, parking lot was definitely busy but not completely full. Somewhere between 10 and 11 AM.
I go to the one in Corbin's Corner in West Hartford. Because it's surrounded on all sides by busy stores, restaurants and gyms, that parking lot is always filled. Granted, this is good news at a time when commerce is increasingly conducted online, it's just a frustrating experience trying to park there. It almost reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when George is just trying to cross the street and it becomes an Atari game.

It used to be that as long as you got to TJ's by 11ish in the morning you were fine. But now that Edge Fitness is in that plaza and other popular retailers are there (like J Crew) it fills up real fast. For a while, it was even worse at the beginning of the pandemic because everyone was hoarding supplies, namely toilet paper.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:52 AM

I’ve never been to that one, I go to Manchester which has its own parking nightmares. I find if I don’t park near TJs it’s not so bad

Ps I’m glad we’re over toilet paper hoarding

Old 02-10-2023, 12:39 PM

389 posts, read 162,870 times
Quote:
I’ve never been to that one, I go to Manchester which has its own parking nightmares. I find if I don’t park near TJs it’s not so bad

Ps I’m glad we’re over toilet paper hoarding
That plaza in Manchester has one of the most poorly designed parking lots I’ve ever seen. The exit onto Buckland St is awful, and you can’t exit by the Taco Bell which is where most people came in. The traffic flow is directly in front of all the stores instead of in the back of the lot so there’s constant people to navigate thru and stop for. Absolutely terrible. Between Trader Joe’s, Total Wine and others, it’s very busy most times of day

Old 02-10-2023, 03:50 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
That plaza in Manchester has one of the most poorly designed parking lots I’ve ever seen. The exit onto Buckland St is awful, and you can’t exit by the Taco Bell which is where most people came in. The traffic flow is directly in front of all the stores instead of in the back of the lot so there’s constant people to navigate thru and stop for. Absolutely terrible. Between Trader Joe’s, Total Wine and others, it’s very busy most times of day
There are problems with that site that limit how the shopping center could be laid out. The site is very narrow and long. That prevents you from having a long enough driveway exiting the in the middle of the site to store cars. That’s why you can only exit on either end of the site.

Plus the intersection of Pleasant Valley Road, the I-84 Westbound Ramps and the site driveway would be difficult to get to operate at an acceptable Level-of-Service during peak hours of traffic. The Connecticut State Traffic Commission, which needed to approve the project, would not accept a full intersection at that location. Jay

Old 02-11-2023, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
haha we've discussed this before. It's pure insanity. You really have to pick where you cross to get to the stores. I do travel through the back of the lot because people never look when they cross.

I cannot believe I'm going to say this. The other day I went to Whole Foods for something I couldn't get anywhere locally and couldn't wait for mail order. I had a few things on my list for Stop & Shop too but for some reason decided to check out WF's muffins.

They are $2.50 vs $2.99 from Stop & Shop - and so much better tasting!

So there you have it, I did find something cheaper at WF

Old 02-11-2023, 09:52 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,150,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I go to the one in Corbin's Corner in West Hartford. Because it's surrounded on all sides by busy stores, restaurants and gyms, that parking lot is always filled. Granted, this is good news at a time when commerce is increasingly conducted online, it's just a frustrating experience trying to park there. It almost reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when George is just trying to cross the street and it becomes an Atari game.

It used to be that as long as you got to TJ's by 11ish in the morning you were fine. But now that Edge Fitness is in that plaza and other popular retailers are there (like J Crew) it fills up real fast. For a while, it was even worse at the beginning of the pandemic because everyone was hoarding supplies, namely toilet paper.

West Hartford is a little different. EVERYTHING there is overcrowded. Glastonbury is a little less so. Even if you compare the WH Whole Foods--especially Blue Back--with Glastonbury's, it's a night and day difference.So after the novelty wears off, I expect Gbury's TD will be moderately busy but not a mob scene. One of the perks of east of the river living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut