Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 06:34 PM

34,969 posts, read 57,045,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
haha we've discussed this before. It's pure insanity. You really have to pick where you cross to get to the stores. I do travel through the back of the lot because people never look when they cross.

I cannot believe I'm going to say this. The other day I went to Whole Foods for something I couldn't get anywhere locally and couldn't wait for mail order. I had a few things on my list for Stop & Shop too but for some reason decided to check out WF's muffins.

They are $2.50 vs $2.99 from Stop & Shop - and so much better tasting!

So there you have it, I did find something cheaper at WF
I’m not a regular shopper at Whole Foods but haven’t they adjusted their prices since bought by Amazon to be more competitive with their competitors? People have told me that. Also they said that Whole Foods sales are pretty good, better at times than mainstream supermarkets. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
West Hartford is a little different. EVERYTHING there is overcrowded. Glastonbury is a little less so. Even if you compare the WH Whole Foods--especially Blue Back--with Glastonbury's, it's a night and day difference.So after the novelty wears off, I expect Gbury's TD will be moderately busy but not a mob scene. One of the perks of east of the river living.
I agree. Remember that West Hartford is almost twice the size of Glastonbury. It’s a regional shopping destination so it attracts shoppers from nearby towns including Hartford. Glastonbury doesn’t have nearly that attraction or nearby population so it will likely calm down in a few weeks. Jay

Old 02-11-2023, 07:06 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,992,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m not a regular shopper at Whole Foods but haven’t they adjusted their prices since bought by Amazon to be more competitive with their competitors? People have told me that. Also they said that Whole Foods sales are pretty good, better at times than mainstream supermarkets. Jay
That's what people here have said but the only thing I've found so far is the muffins lol

I'm not a regular shopper there either but there are a handful of things I go there for and I haven't seen those prices come down. I don't think the buffet price has improved either. Some of the stuff we buy is definitely more expensive at WF.

Those small plastic bins of candy are $3.99 at TJ's, I think $5.99 at S&S (they just went up so I can't remember) and $10.50 at WF

Dried mangos are at least $1 more at WF for a tiny package

Last time I priced meats WF was a lot more but will have to check again. Same with fruits. I don't think any of the stores can match TJs fruit prices when they have them in stock.

Yogurts - WF had a 10/10 sale a couple of weeks ago but this week S&S had it. They have more grassfed yogurt than the other stores but they are all plain in big tubs which is not very exciting to me.

We get a lot of Bob's Red Mill stuff at Ocean State

Best deals on butter is TJ's

I try to buy organic wherever possible.

We itemized our grocery spending in December and January and it was pretty shocking so we are taking a closer look at how we can save and that means looking at circulars more.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:32 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,153,896 times
Quote:
I agree. Remember that West Hartford is almost twice the size of Glastonbury. It’s a regional shopping destination so it attracts shoppers from nearby towns including Hartford. Glastonbury doesn’t have nearly that attraction or nearby population so it will likely calm down in a few weeks. Jay

Yeah especially since there's already one in Manchester.

Old 02-12-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Yeah especially since there's already one in Manchester.
And that one is located in Buckland Hills, a regional shopping district. Jay

Old 02-13-2023, 11:34 AM

21,790 posts, read 28,153,161 times
Quote:
Yes, Whole Foods can be pretty competitive on a lot of items. The Prime member sales are really good too.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:36 PM

205 posts, read 163,143 times
The West Hartford Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are so busy because there is a WF/TJ's desert in the southern Hartford/Northern New Haven and Middlesex County area. Although there is a WF distribution center in Cheshire, there are no WF locations between West Hartford and Milford. As for TJ's, the next locations heading south and west from Corbin's Corner are in Orange and Danbury.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:18 AM

192 posts, read 94,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Nutmegger View Post
The West Hartford Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are so busy because there is a WF/TJ's desert in the southern Hartford/Northern New Haven and Middlesex County area. Although there is a WF distribution center in Cheshire, there are no WF locations between West Hartford and Milford. As for TJ's, the next locations heading south and west from Corbin's Corner are in Orange and Danbury.
Wasn't there supposed to be an actual Whole Foods in Chesire? It seems like the ideal place.

Old 02-20-2023, 01:16 PM

21 posts, read 30,713 times
I don’t get the fascination for Trader Joe’s. We have on a mile from us and the only thing I buy there is potted herbs. They sell fruit by the piece. So does everyone else . I’m thinking so little is going on in Ct and Trader Joe’s is a highlight.

Old 02-20-2023, 01:42 PM

6,949 posts, read 3,777,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieFl View Post
I don’t get the fascination for Trader Joe’s..
No one's fascinated with grocery stores.

I like Joe's the best. The Darien store has ample parking, I sneak in and out of the back lot, not the US1 side.
Don't care for WF. Haaaate Stop and Shop and Shoprites, hate em'. Wegmans is great in Westchester, looking forward to first CT edition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut