Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 04:56 PM

417 posts, read 601,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
You seem to be very hung up on wealth and income. Everyone knows CT is near tops in income. I get it.
Io Capiche. Managgia la miseria!
Californians may or may not be wealthier but their homes are a hell of lot more expensive than CT comps.
If you want to play the per capita card, know that if someone from coastal FCounty needed to move to CA it wouldn't be to Bakersfield or Eureka, it would probably be LA, SD or SF.
Agreed. California real estate is significantly more expensive than Connecticut's at every level. The gap is too high to be explained by some of the reasons I'm seeing thrown around in this thread. Palo Alto RE is far more expensive than Greenwich, Oakland is far more expensive than Hartford etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 05:23 PM

987 posts, read 601,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
BUT THE PER CAPITA of who is in that house tells the story of the value of the house.
Um, no. The value of the house is determined by the price it sells at, regardless of how many are buying it.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:30 PM

388 posts, read 162,210 times
It’s too tiring to go back and try to figure out the point being made so I’ll just say I’m super confused about why the number of people living in a house matters.

Anyways, CA for many reasons, is more desirable to live in than CT. If money was no object, CA would be high on most peoples lists to live in. It’s a huge state with diverse landscapes and weather so it makes sense.

When you are a tech guy sitting on your $25M in tech stock options, who cares if the house is $1.5M or $4M. It just doesn’t matter. Beyond your house and maintenance/bills that go with it, the rest of life in comparison is pretty low cost. A really nice car costs $100K, college education $200K…life is easy when house is covered

Old 01-30-2023, 06:36 PM

21,767 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
Anyways, CA for many reasons, is more desirable to live in than CT.
Desirability is subjective. What parts of CA have are DEMAND. And, mostly in SF and LA areas.

Old 01-30-2023, 06:50 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,754,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Desirability is subjective. What parts of CA have are DEMAND. And, mostly in SF and LA areas.
Now you know damn well how much I love CT but you have to be fair here, you have to. BHPW367 makes a good point.
CA has desirability throughout the globe, there's no question. Worldwide. Maybe the wacky pols have taken some of it away who knows.
CT's desirability is largely limited to a fiercely devoted native population and some transplants who come in for assignments in the Stamford, New Haven, and Hartford areas and NYers tired of getting shot and hacked to death.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Now you know damn well how much I love CT but you have to be fair here, you have to. BHPW367 makes a good point.
CA has desirability throughout the globe, there's no question. Worldwide. Maybe the wacky pols have taken some of it away who knows.
CT's desirability is largely limited to a fiercely devoted native population and some transplants who come in for assignments in the Stamford, New Haven, and Hartford areas and NYers tired of getting shot and hacked to death.
All I mean is, a LOT of people don’t desire the LA/SF area living. And many do compromise for work reasons just like in the NYC area

If I had millions I wouldn’t mind it. But many people hate CA. It’s such a love/hate place. CT doesn’t elicit such strong emotions. Also, most of CA is decidedly undesirable from a land area POV. But the population centers have massive demand.

Old 01-30-2023, 07:35 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Outside of Bay Area, Los Angeles, San Diego the prices is on par with CT like Redding, Eurkea, Scramento

Old 01-30-2023, 08:19 PM

388 posts, read 162,210 times
Quote:
All I mean is, a LOT of people don’t desire the LA/SF area living. And many do compromise for work reasons just like in the NYC area

If I had millions I wouldn’t mind it. But many people hate CA. It’s such a love/hate place. CT doesn’t elicit such strong emotions. Also, most of CA is decidedly undesirable from a land area POV. But the population centers have massive demand.
To be fair, unless you are from Connecticut or have family there, most people can barely pick it out on a map let alone tell you anything relevant about it. Sure, NYC understands what (Southern) CT is and if you know New England you know CT but CT doesn’t really have much in terms of an identity let alone a preference of good vs bad…it’s more indifference.

This isn’t good or bad, but because it doesn’t have any major cities and is not a tourist hot spot, it doesn’t really have that memorable factor.

San Diego is known for the beach and perfect weather. Maine is known for lobsters. Vermont for maple syrup/skiing and fall foliage. MA for Boston and the Cape.

CT is known for, at least from a media perspective, its wealth. Recent TV shows that were popular and had relevance like Gilmore Girls and American Housewife both depicted wealth and all the stereotypes that go with it.

To an outsider, states like Delaware, Connecticut, and Rhode Island almost hard to distinguish apart. All small in size, no real big cities. No real big reason to visit/vacation there (I’m talking week long plane travel type of trip, not a long weekend drivable trip)

I just googled “what’s Connecticut known for” and the top results have fall foliage, culture, Yale, ESPN, the hamburger, Mystic, pizza, Mark Twain House and pizza. That’s one sexy list.

I’m actually surprised CT has 350+ hotels in the state. I know it does have significant corporate travel with Metro line /Bradley airport and having a decent number of big employers so I guess that’s part of it.

Last edited by BHW2436; 01-30-2023 at 08:52 PM..

Old 01-30-2023, 09:20 PM

I look at the lack of notoriety and big tourist destinations as a big “so what”.

Tourist areas are good to visit (although I tend to prefer off beaten path destinations), not always great to live in.

Considering the geographics, California is bigger than New England and New York State combined.

It’s not like we are on an island. One of the best aspects of CT is the central location between northern New England/Quebec and the mid Atlantic, which means we have an incredible variety of cities and attractions within a day’s drive.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:26 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,754,471 times
Quote:
But many people hate CA. It’s such a love/hate place. CT doesn’t elicit such strong emotions.
Tens of thousands and more CT residents hate it to death, they're either in the fast pass lane to Orlando or looking to meet Jesus in Alabama to get away from the gays and baby killers. 2M plus probably closer to 3M love it unconditionally to their dying breath. Same with CA, a few million hate it, 35M plus love it like you can't imagine.

Yeah, CT is fine the way it is. Who the hell wants to live in a tourist destination. Can you imagine some guy in a Mickey Mouse costume walking down Elm St in New Canaan waving at people and cars? I mean come on, what is it with these people and the lack of tourism and big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut