Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 05:01 PM

34,952 posts, read 56,989,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's nice but how many nice state beaches are there? For instance, I have an elderly, partially disabled friend and she loves to look at the beach but not some place like Hammonassett. She just wants to sit on a bench for a few minutes at a beach, enjoy the sound and feel of the ocean, smell the salt air, and then get back in the car. I don't even want to go to Hammonassett anymore, not like I did when I was younger.

We take rte 9 down from Farmington. She used to live in Clinton and that's the area I'm familiar with too so where is a quiet, affordable beach to take her to? Her Clinton beach sticker has expired. Hammonassett is really out for an 83 year old disabled woman. I know nothing about Silver Sands and is it the only other beach to go to if you can't live there?

I've never liked Rocky Neck. Not going to New London. So that leaves Silver Sands? Not too sure where Milford is but as long as it's not too far to the west, maybe that's where we can go.
I’m kind of missing why the state beaches won’t work for you or her. What’s wrong with Hamonasett and Rocky Neck? Both are pretty nice from what I have seen. I don’t get your rejection of them.

And why won’t you go to New London? Ocean Beach Park is very nice with lots of other things to do (arcade, pavilion pool, etc.) and see there.

https://ocean-beach-park.com/

Silver Sands in Milford is about 12 miles west of New Haven. Not sure if that’s too far west.

Another State Park you might consider is Harkness in Waterford. It doesn’t have the beaches like the others but it is on the water. It’s beautiful and free for all Connecticut registered vehicles. Hope this helps. Jay

https://www.harkness.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 05:07 PM

21,773 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Rocky Neck is super nice. Arguably the best sand in the state.

Old 03-02-2023, 05:20 PM

847 posts, read 510,170 times
In Madison, this would be allowing non-residents to buy a season pass for $80. Weekdays, residents without stickers pay $10 and non-residents pay $25. I can see that changing to $15 and $30, but I would have no problem with cutting non-residents down to $20. I'm good with that. Weekend, residents are still $10 and non-residents are $40. I guess we would need to increase residents prices on weekends or cut non-residents prices. I think we could figure it out. As long we can charge a meaningful difference.

Old 03-02-2023, 05:51 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
In Madison, this would be allowing non-residents to buy a season pass for $80. Weekdays, residents without stickers pay $10 and non-residents pay $25. I can see that changing to $15 and $30, but I would have no problem with cutting non-residents down to $20. I'm good with that. Weekend, residents are still $10 and non-residents are $40. I guess we would need to increase residents prices on weekends or cut non-residents prices. I think we could figure it out. As long we can charge a meaningful difference.

It would be nice if retired folk could come during the week for an affordable price. During the week you'd get mostly retired people--quiet, want to enjoy nature, maybe go wading and then off to a restaurant for fish or lobster. It would be good for business.

As for Rocky Neck, I think I spoiled that for myself when I was a little kid down there and my aunt owned a summer cottage. Long time ago, but not good memories. I don't remember nice sand, that's for sure. When I was married I used to walk my Siamese cat on a leash there--so I remember it from that era too. Didn't like it then either. Just want a small, quiet, pretty beach that's an easy drive down rte 9.

Old 03-02-2023, 06:30 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's nice but how many nice state beaches are there? For instance, I have an elderly, partially disabled friend and she loves to look at the beach but not some place like Hammonassett. She just wants to sit on a bench for a few minutes at a beach, enjoy the sound and feel of the ocean, smell the salt air, and then get back in the car. I don't even want to go to Hammonassett anymore, not like I did when I was younger.

We take rte 9 down from Farmington. She used to live in Clinton and that's the area I'm familiar with too so where is a quiet, affordable beach to take her to? Her Clinton beach sticker has expired. Hammonassett is really out for an 83 year old disabled woman. I know nothing about Silver Sands and is it the only other beach to go to if you can't live there?

I've never liked Rocky Neck. Not going to New London. So that leaves Silver Sands? Not too sure where Milford is but as long as it's not too far to the west, maybe that's where we can go.
Ah so you see the problem!

There are 4 state beaches based on this map: Rocky Neck, Hammonasset, Silver Sands and Sherwood Island.

https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/State-Par...ks-and-Forests

I used to go to Hammonasset every week, during the week and I'd try to do a weekend too. Used to be $3/$5.

I have not been in years. It's not worth trying on a weekend, the parking lots fill too quickly. You just have to turn on the news to see that. Not sure how weekdays are. I didn't go because it was a great beach, I went because it was the closest one to me.

I went to Silver Sands a few years ago. I thought it was nice, but it was in the fall so not very busy.

The further west you get the less waves you got, and dare I say less ocean smell. IMO

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 03-02-2023 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-02-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

The further west you get the less waves you got, and dare I say less ocean smell. IMO
Not true, the biggest waves are in the center of state where the sound is the widest. Milford to Madison-ish.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:08 PM

6,923 posts, read 3,760,891 times
Quote:
Not true on summer weekends when you get 25 knots pushing and funneling water in from the wider part of the Sound. You can always count on the wind kicking up every weekend like clockwork.

Old 03-02-2023, 08:25 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not true, the biggest waves are in the center of state where the sound is the widest. Milford to Madison-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Not true on summer weekends when you get 25 knots pushing and funneling water in from the wider part of the Sound. You can always count on the wind kicking up every weekend like clockwork.
All right all right

It's still not like real open water. Steve you know what I mean

Old 03-02-2023, 09:19 PM

Quote:
All right all right

It's still not like real open water. Steve you know what I mean
Well. Don’t get that until RI.

Old 03-02-2023, 10:22 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,187,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Sounds like the pavilion is a separate issue and not related to the proposed bill.
??
You can’t separate the two. Unfortunately when they close the pavilion to replace/repair it at Penfield beach in the future, the beach access will be closed for everyone until done. Thats what happened after Sandy I believe. At least one summer there was lost for use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut