Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2007, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,041 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in Darien, CT. We are thinking of relocating from Dallas, Texas. We need help! We want a tall order:
1. A family friendly area that has excellent schools (our son starts kindergarten in the Fall)
2. The New England feel with a great downtown, restaurants and the arts
3. A reasonable commute to Darien
4. A house we can afford! We cannot afford $500k for a house. We are open to renting.

Any thoughts or ideas? We are considering Trumball, Shelton and Stratford - any other ideas?

Thanks so much - Paula
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 05:20 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
Doxeyday,
Congratulations of your new husbands new job offer. I understand that relocating about half way across the country is a stressful time in your life and I am sure the relocation company is working with will get in touch with a great Realtor down there (I'm an agent, but not in that area).

The schools in the state are among the best in the country, I can not say what ones are the best or worst, per the Connecticut licensing law. I am sure that your agent will give you information about the schools and various school districts, prepared by a third party, to help you make a good decision.

Most of the cities in the area do have small little downtowns with all of the things that you like.

As you probably noticed from your searches, the area is not inexpensive for housing. Those three towns are within commutable distance of Darien. Monroe is north of Trumbull and is a little bit more affordable. Bridgeport is considerably most affordable town down that way, and was listed as the second best place to invest in the country in a few magazines last year so if you buy now, you have the chance to make a lot of money for the next few years.

Jonathan Hall

Old 01-21-2007, 11:34 PM

36 posts, read 180,039 times
friends and family of mine moved from fairfield county to Dallas because dallas and most of all of texas hasn't caught up yet in real estate value

500K can buy a nice starter in many pocket places...Again at 500K there will be trade offs you'll have to weigh..if school is #1... I would look into a fixer in redding and you'll have a reverse commute against all the traffic...readding was voted the #1 small town w/ a population of 5-10k people and education is very high on there list

Norwalk is the next town over but has a failing scool system...but what that means is you can pick the best school in the best neighborhood there because of it.... Monroe and Newton will give u more bang for ur buck and it will hit a few of ur requirements but the commute is hell

Old 01-23-2007, 11:38 AM

43 posts, read 276,966 times
Trumbull, Monroe, Newtown, Shelton are all good choices, Orange and Milford may be a little too far, but that would be up to you.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:12 PM

3 posts, read 8,958 times
Default Stratford

I would recommend looking in Stratford. The town is affordable and very nice. The schools are good if you move into the Bunnell District. The only downside to Stratford is that the property taxes are very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut