Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 04:12 PM

6,904 posts, read 3,746,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkim View Post
Yeah but I hate to break it to ya but thousands upon thousands don't upend population density.

Look at this list, New Jersey is 2nd, Connecticut 6th. Arizona 33rd, Washington 22nd.

We're talking population differences of millions, not thousands.

Also, when considering population density - you have to consider land area, which in the case of Arizona and Washington - we're talking size differences of a factor of 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density
The main pop centers of those states are just as dense if not denser than CT. Seattle and Portland have traffic that would take years off your life. Move to Tolland County CT, there will be much less tailgating there.
Best of luck in the search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
This is an issue everywhere, as Stylo mentioned the denser the location the more prevalent it will be.
If you like to stay in the left lane on highways, best to be driving at the highest average speed.
Thats the big one. Drivers too lazy to get out of the fast lane, holding up others.
Every morning someone is camped in the left lane on the Merritt in Greenwich. You can count on it.
I’m the slow poke you see in the right lane because I’m in no hurry to go cube farming. You know it’s bad if I’m passing someone on the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 04:20 PM

34 posts, read 37,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The main pop centers of those states are just as dense if not denser than CT. Seattle and Portland have traffic that would take years off your life. Move to Tolland County CT, there will be much less tailgating there.
Best of luck in the search
I'm not against living near populated areas entirely - I understand escaping all human stupidity is nearly impossible. I think I just might be happier in a state as a whole that has less population density than here....but who know's....still working on it....

Last edited by JayCT; 03-12-2023 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 03-12-2023, 04:27 PM

6,904 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
I'm not against living near populated areas entirely - I understand escaping all human stupidity is nearly impossible. I think I just might be happier in a state as a whole that has less population density than here....but who know's....still working on it....
This doesn’t make one iota of sense. No one lives in a “whole” state the size of WA and OR. You won’t ever set foot on 97% of those states.

Old 03-12-2023, 04:37 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
If they see you driving Toyota Prius, Elantra, Equinox most likely CT drivers will tailgate you the Mustang with V8 engine or Corvette going try go in front of you.

Old 03-12-2023, 04:41 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Yeah but I hate to break it to ya but thousands upon thousands don't upend population density.

Look at this list, New Jersey is 2nd, Connecticut 6th. Arizona 33rd, Washington 22nd.

Also, when considering population density - you have to consider land area, which in the case of Arizona and Washington - we're talking size differences of a factor of 10.

Just because there seems to be lots of land available doesn't mean it can absorb all those wannabe transplants. You aren't understanding that land isn't uniformly attractive, desirable, or developable. A lot of areas in western states are comprised of desert, rugged mountains, terrain or soils that don't support agriculture or building. Another vital example is water: western states have a much drier climate than eastern states do. There simply may not be enough water to support large population centers. Bulging cities in some western states are seeing the fallout from overcommitting available water resources now. Maybe you've heard about it? You're forgetting there is also a lot more publicly owned/managed land in western states and that can preclude or restrict development by private interests. So, people clump where development is cheaper and easier which in turn leads to population density in some areas but not others.

Old 03-12-2023, 05:51 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
I'm not really comparing it to anywhere necessarily - because I haven't really travelled much outside of Connecticut/ the Tri state area.

My thinking is that maybe I could be happier in a part of the country that could have a more laid back lifestyle.

A few states that I am considering right now are Washington State, California, Arizona, maybe even some places in the south.

I guess part of my thinking is based just on what is known about the culture out west...... it being more relaxed and laid back than the East Coast.

Also, I've done research - Connecticut, New Jersey are two states with very high population densities - I'm thinking that could influence bad driving/rudeness as well - although it's not an absolute certainty.

So yeah - that's my thinking, part of it just basing it off of what I think of the culture out west and part of it is based off of researching population densities.

I'm still very much in the research phase of my journey - but getting closer to a more definitive answer.
I think you're right about population density, but CA has very high population density. They do have a lot more blue skies and sunshine and that can make people mellower. I think the edginess of this part of the country is likely related to overcrowding plus lousy weather. (Not cost of living and taxes because people here also earn much more).

I almost wonder if you'd be better off considering places like Boise or Albuquerque, medium sized cities that have seen population growth.

Old 03-12-2023, 05:55 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
This is actually good advice. I don't know where the OP lives, but eastern CT has less traffic AND I would say a much more laid back vibe--probably in large part because of less traffic and less people. The more people in a concentrated area, the more everyone just starts to feel like everyone else is just in their way.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:08 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
What part of the country are you comparing it to? Are drivers really better elsewhere or are you noticing it more here? And as far as laid back, I doubt West Coast drivers are any better. With the extreme traffic congestion in CA I'd bet they are awful there too.
LA drivers are as bad as you’d expect. I drive a decent amount there.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:11 PM

10,093 posts, read 14,965,663 times
There are dashcams that also includes a camera for the rear. When the one facing the front through the windshield is on, the one facing the rear through the back window is also on and both record simultaneously. Cars that tailgate you will be clearly recorded in addition to their license plate. If they cause an accident with you, bingo!

Tailgating will not end, but someone does you wrong while tailgating and what truly happened is on video. Let the camera do the talking.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:12 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:

Yeah, but if you live in a city area out west it’s just as dense. Your life will be in a similar density area. It’s actually much easier to escape here than somewhere like LA.

Keep in mind CT is not much different than the size of LA County. It’s a tiny state. Comparing the whole of New England makes more sense, and a lot of it is rural and laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut