Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 05:03 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,041,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
“Should the Ct library stop displaying, or stocking gender fluid books aimed at 4 year olds?”

Again, is this an accurate poll question when the book is about pronouns?
It is, 2 choices were stock and display, 2 mirrored the selectman decision to stock but not display, 2 were to ban it.

I am skeptical of our school system if so few picked up on the fact the book was not banned in this case.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ban
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 05:00 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It is, 2 choices were stock and display, 2 mirrored the selectman decision to stock but not display, 2 were to ban it.

I am skeptical of our school system if so few picked up on the fact the book was not banned in this case.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ban
And we are skeptical of your education since you don’t see why banning displaying the book is almost as wrong as outright banning it. Jay

Old 03-26-2023, 05:45 PM

524 posts, read 245,388 times
Quote:
Your post was superbly moderate, and I copied the paragraph that sums it up best.

The selectman obviously agrees and took the same moderate stance.

With 66 polled btw, both in Ct residents & other states, just a tiny % want it fully displayed.
Are you familiar with the concept of selection bias?

Old 03-26-2023, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And we are skeptical of your education since you don’t see why banning displaying the book is almost as wrong as outright banning it. Jay
It's a giant difference, and I doubt we will ever see a ban. I am happy to see the selectman in touch with his constituent's concerns.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:03 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
It's a giant difference, and I doubt we will ever see a ban. I am happy to see the selectman in touch with his constituent's concerns.
Yes, a library should try to remain neutral. Right now transgender topics are hot and controversial so why place the book on display when it might trigger someone who disagrees? Libraries should have all kinds of information but I think they need to show some tact and respect concerning which books they set out for all to see.

To put that book on display, even though it may be innocuous, might seem to some as though the library is pushing one side of the topic over the other side. How about displaying a book about curtailing abortion rights and advocating that woman's place is in the home? If I ever saw a book like that in a library display i'd be angry and I'd resent the library pushing this sort of thing on us.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
That’s what’s wrong with todays extreme politics, neither side see the implications of the things they advocate.

It is not a “giant difference”. It’s a very minor difference. By banning its display he is basically burying it in a huge pile of books that obscures its significance. That’s as good as banning it.

Also the Selectman is not necessarily in touch with “his constituent’s concerns”. He’s in touch with just one, the one that complained. It remains to be seen if the rest of the town agrees. The fact it’s getting such notoriety means not everyone agrees. Jay

Old 03-26-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, a library should try to remain neutral. Right now transgender topics are hot and controversial so why place the book on display when it might trigger someone who disagrees? Libraries should have all kinds of information but I think they need to show some tact and respect concerning which books they set out for all to see.

To put that book on display, even though it may be innocuous, might seem to some as though the library is pushing one side of the topic over the other side. How about displaying a book about curtailing abortion rights and advocating that woman's place is in the home? If I ever saw a book like that in a library display i'd be angry and I'd resent the library pushing this sort of thing on us.
Bingo. It is available, as are thousands of books, by being stocked. This is a library, not a political organization so its purpose is not to promote ANY point of view, but simply to be a place where resources can be obtained.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

You realize EVERYTHING can be controversial. Who would think a book on how to address another person would cause such a fuss. Certainly not the professional librarian who selected the book to be displayed.

Are you not going to display books on religion because it might offend someone of another denomination?

Are you not going to display books on politics because it might offend someone of the opposing viewpoint?

Are you not going to display books on slavery because it might offend someone of a different race?

Where does it stop?

By bending to this one person for such a minor reason sets a very dangerous precedent for the future and hurts everyone in the long run. Jay

Old 03-27-2023, 05:58 PM

6,881 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You realize EVERYTHING can be controversial. Who would think a book on how to address another person would cause such a fuss. Certainly not the professional librarian who selected the book to be displayed.

Are you not going to display books on religion because it might offend someone of another denomination?

Are you not going to display books on politics because it might offend someone of the opposing viewpoint?

Are you not going to display books on slavery because it might offend someone of a different race?

Where does it stop?

By bending to this one person for such a minor reason sets a very dangerous precedent for the future and hurts everyone in the long run. Jay
Very dangerous precedents are getting set daily these days, where have you been?

Old 03-27-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Very dangerous precedents are getting set daily these days, where have you been?
I know that all too well. Very sad. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut