Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 12:25 AM

9,157 posts, read 13,197,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Much like Killingworth is directly north of Clinton, New Canaan is directly north of Darien. Killingworth has beach access in Clinton, but as I said in my followup, I think it's because they used to be one town. They are different towns now, but I think the shared history accounts for Killingworth beach access. Darien and New Canaan don't have a shared history.

But yeah, those New Canaanite don't give a rat's hindquarters.
I was wondering about this and it looks like you are right.

Apparently when Clinton was breaking off to form a new town, she received the entire coastline area but there was some kind of agreement about Killingworth residents still being able to use the old town dock and a coastal area called "the Sedges". So when Clinton built a town beach on "the Sedges" after WW2, Killingworth residents wanted access to it also, which Clinton originally denied. When a lawsuit was about to be filed, Clinton gave in and now Killingworth residents also have access to the beach.

https://www.facebook.com/Killingwort...4045165973759/

In contrast, I could be wrong but I do not believe that Darien has an obligation to give any beach access to New Canaan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 06:43 PM

872 posts, read 293,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hammonasset and Rocky Neck are state beaches. If you have a Connecticut license plate, access is free all year now. Jay
That's right. I forgot that the state made all public parks free now. If the OP is now a state resident they can go to any state beach in Connecticut for free.

Also, I forgot to mention that the beaches in Rhode Island stop charging in mid September as well, and they are nice beaches that face the open sea.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:32 PM

21,645 posts, read 27,940,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
That's right. I forgot that the state made all public parks free now. If the OP is now a state resident they can go to any state beach in Connecticut for free.

Also, I forgot to mention that the beaches in Rhode Island stop charging in mid September as well, and they are nice beaches that face the open sea.
Only free if you have a car. That’s most people, but some in cities don’t.

Old 04-04-2023, 11:18 AM

215 posts, read 147,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
what are you talking about?

state parks are free to ENTER for anyone

cars with CT plates get free PARKING

cars without of state plates have to pay for PARKING

but anyone can walk in, or if you decide to take a taxi, uber etc, and it happens to have out of state plates, its still free to enter, so they go in for free and come back out after dropping someone off.

Old 04-04-2023, 02:19 PM

21,645 posts, read 27,940,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
what are you talking about?

state parks are free to ENTER for anyone

cars with CT plates get free PARKING

cars without of state plates have to pay for PARKING

but anyone can walk in, or if you decide to take a taxi, uber etc, and it happens to have out of state plates, its still free to enter, so they go in for free and come back out after dropping someone off.
No need for the attitude. It’s not that easy to get to the parks without a car.

Old 04-04-2023, 03:14 PM

6,761 posts, read 3,651,843 times
Quote:
No need for the attitude. It’s not that easy to get to the parks without a car.
Are there town beaches that forbid non-resident walk-ins out east? I know Todd Point in Greenwich used to but don't know if they still do. I imagine they'd get slammed for it these days. I'd be very surprised if they haven't been met with furious backlash and outcry.

Old 04-04-2023, 03:27 PM

9,933 posts, read 14,799,043 times
Speaking of beach stickers (some towns no longer use stickers usually placed on the windshield, but rater your license plate is scanned and it tells them in an instant if you paid or not. I guess the parking police is able to do the same and write up a real ticket for those that park im the beaches parking lots without buying the “beach sticker”), when is it required to have one? I guess this varies by town.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:41 AM

821 posts, read 495,191 times
Quote:
A New London city bus goes to Ocean Beach, but that would be really annoying for out of towners. New Haven has Lighthouse Point. That's also on a bus line, but probably the same issue.

Are there any other beaches with public transit access?

Old 04-05-2023, 09:21 AM

6,761 posts, read 3,651,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
depends on the beach I would say, Todd Point is basically an island so it's easy to limit walk in access. You look at something like compo beach which is a more common setup, there is no way to limit walk in access unless you place security guards every 20 ft along the sand.
I was wondering more about Eastern CT.
I know none do it in Western CT, there just isn't enough attendance outside Memorial and Fourth weekends. The amount of drop offs and walk-ins is probably even smaller. To hire staff and security to turn away 3 people/week is not worth it.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:19 PM

6,518 posts, read 4,919,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
parkconnect takes people to most if not all of the state beaches, I know it exists just don't know the exact details but I believe it's all the state beaches
Hey your tax dollars at work! I'd never heard of parkconnect - here's the info on it

https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/State-Parks/Park-Connect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut