Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2023, 08:03 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,859 times

Advertisements

Folks, it's time to start being realistic about this. There are dozens of other medium-sized cities that are growing that currently lack a hockey team. These are cities that are so much more vibrant than anything CT currently offers, so it's ludicrous not to see that we're punching above our weight class if we think we can compete with this. We can't. Of course, now that I've said that I'll be accused of being negative, of not wanting the cities to succeed, of being a stalemate for not towing the line. All of this is false. Speaking clearly, our cities are small not just geographically but in terms of population and what they currently and will in the future offer. There are limits to what we can do. And please, for anyone thinking all we need to do is annex the suburbs and this will solve the issue, just drop it. That isn't going to happen, nor should it. And frankly, this fantasy that a sports team is the tide that will lift all boats needs to stop. Baltimore built Camden Yards and a new football team, yet the majority of the city is still deteriorating (anyone who doubts this needs only to visit Berea or Sandtown). Cleveland built Jacobs Field and the new Browns stadium, and the conventional media wisdom was that it had become Mayberry, leaving out the fact that poverty went from 14% in 1970 to over 40% by the mid '90s, and the city's schools were drained of funds. But at least their image is positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2023, 08:29 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,145,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Folks, it's time to start being realistic about this. There are dozens of other medium-sized cities that are growing that currently lack a hockey team. These are cities that are so much more vibrant than anything CT currently offers, so it's ludicrous not to see that we're punching above our weight class if we think we can compete with this. We can't. Of course, now that I've said that I'll be accused of being negative, of not wanting the cities to succeed, of being a stalemate for not towing the line. All of this is false. Speaking clearly, our cities are small not just geographically but in terms of population and what they currently and will in the future offer. There are limits to what we can do. And please, for anyone thinking all we need to do is annex the suburbs and this will solve the issue, just drop it. That isn't going to happen, nor should it. And frankly, this fantasy that a sports team is the tide that will lift all boats needs to stop. Baltimore built Camden Yards and a new football team, yet the majority of the city is still deteriorating (anyone who doubts this needs only to visit Berea or Sandtown). Cleveland built Jacobs Field and the new Browns stadium, and the conventional media wisdom was that it had become Mayberry, leaving out the fact that poverty went from 14% in 1970 to over 40% by the mid '90s, and the city's schools were drained of funds. But at least their image is positive.
You're conflating improving cities themselves with improving metro areas.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:38 PM

372 posts, read 155,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Hartford isn’t getting a major 4 pro sports team so it’s irrelevant anyways but I don’t think anyone said a team would automatically make Hartford an awesome place.

For every “failed” example are positive examples. For instance, in Washington DC, Navy Yard area is becoming a wonderful place. Nationals baseball, DC United soccer, and even the XFL Team had a sold out stadium and amazing crowd participation. The area has tons of restaurants, new apartments/condos, water views, metro access. It’s a great spot and continues to improve.

A new stadium that had a NHL Team would also double as a nice shiny new venue to attract performers/bands/artists for shows/concerts. 40 hockey games plus another 20 concerts plus all the other random misc stuff would be an extra 20% of the year with new exciting things to do. It would attract people and provide some fun.

Are pro sports teams worth the tax dollars for stadiums? No, probably not, but people who have never lived near/in an actual city would never understand that anyways.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:55 PM

6,881 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Camden Yards greatly enhanced the harbor area.
Cleveland stadiums and Rock HOF enhanced downtown.

Another NHL team in the northeast would throw division alignments into chaos.
There are no clandestine meetings for Hartford people.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:51 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
Hartford isn’t getting a major 4 pro sports team so it’s irrelevant anyways but I don’t think anyone said a team would automatically make Hartford an awesome place.

For every “failed” example are positive examples. For instance, in Washington DC, Navy Yard area is becoming a wonderful place. Nationals baseball, DC United soccer, and even the XFL Team had a sold out stadium and amazing crowd participation. The area has tons of restaurants, new apartments/condos, water views, metro access. It’s a great spot and continues to improve.

A new stadium that had a NHL Team would also double as a nice shiny new venue to attract performers/bands/artists for shows/concerts. 40 hockey games plus another 20 concerts plus all the other random misc stuff would be an extra 20% of the year with new exciting things to do. It would attract people and provide some fun.

Are pro sports teams worth the tax dollars for stadiums? No, probably not, but people who have never lived near/in an actual city would never understand that anyways.
I've made these points as well in a prior thread on the subject. It's a loss leader if you will and it is just one component to making a metro area more attractive to individuals and companies alike. No different than the Hartford Symphony, Wadsworth Atheneum, The Ballet, Science Center, Mark Twain House etc. All are vital cogs in the life blood of the region and adding a pro team will only help the region, not hurt it.

Old 06-02-2023, 06:18 AM

837 posts, read 505,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post

I lived in an actual city for twenty years. Given the realities of CT being split between two major markets, it's never going to make sense. I would love it to happen, but it's just not reality. Hartford has the Yardgoats, Wolf Pack, and Hartford Athletic. Minor league city with minor league teams.

Old 06-02-2023, 11:51 AM

275 posts, read 144,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
I lived in an actual city for twenty years. Given the realities of CT being split between two major markets, it's never going to make sense. I would love it to happen, but it's just not reality. Hartford has the Yardgoats, Wolf Pack, and Hartford Athletic. Minor league city with minor league teams.
Same could be said about New Jersey being between the major markets of NYC and Philly, yet NJ has 3 Big 4 teams. It can be done. I'd argue NJ uses its proximity to major markets as an advantage.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:04 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Same could be said about New Jersey being between the major markets of NYC and Philly, yet NJ has 3 Big 4 teams. It can be done. I'd argue NJ uses its proximity to major markets as an advantage.
New Jersey one NHL team. Who else is Jersey based not named Jets or Giants?

Old 06-02-2023, 12:35 PM

275 posts, read 144,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
New Jersey one NHL team. Who else is Jersey based not named Jets or Giants?
Out of the Big 4, none. Jersey Nets moved to NYC a few years ago.

Old 06-02-2023, 02:24 PM

837 posts, read 505,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
New Jersey has 3x the population of CT and the majority of it lives in the northeast corner. Newark alone has more than 2x the population of Hartford. Jersey City is also more than 2x Hartford. Their basketball team moved.

It's not comparable.

Last edited by WestRiverTraveler; 06-02-2023 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut