Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 06:11 AM

210 posts, read 262,291 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have any hands on experience with any of the magnet schools in Connecticut, specifically for STEM areas of study, like information technology or engineering? Planning a move back to Connecticut this summer and my son has been placed on the waiting list for the Connecticut technical schools. He is a hands-on learner and I don’t want to run the risk of him not getting a spot somewhere- so I have opened my search to some of the magnet schools and have some tours set up. But I would love to hear personal feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 09:47 AM

837 posts, read 506,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diydesign View Post
Do any of you have any hands on experience with any of the magnet schools in Connecticut, specifically for STEM areas of study, like information technology or engineering? Planning a move back to Connecticut this summer and my son has been placed on the waiting list for the Connecticut technical schools. He is a hands-on learner and I don’t want to run the risk of him not getting a spot somewhere- so I have opened my search to some of the magnet schools and have some tours set up. But I would love to hear personal feedback.
It really depends. What area/county? Does your town have a comprehensive high school? Some of those offer solid tech option. I work in New Haven and know the NHPS Magnets. Of the New Haven schools that aren't tech schools, ESUMS in West Haven is probably the best bet.

https://www.esumsnh.net/

Old 03-20-2024, 10:20 AM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Many are supposed to be excellent and rank highly on lists. It depends where you live and where you want to focus. As mentioned, there's some real speciality ones.

Re: technical schools, Platt Technical High School has a nice new campus and is a good option, but that is a very different academic experience vs. a more specialized STEM school.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:31 AM

6,885 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Well I don't know if FCounty or Norwalk are in budget but a lot of people around here talk about P-Tech which is part of Nowalk HS. Kids there work summer internships at IBM and receive college credits, hands on projects and more engineering tech focused for like AI and drones. It's not like the trade oriented tech schools. I believe it's lottery but I hear if you really want in you get in.
Best in the search

Old 03-20-2024, 10:46 AM

We have been focusing on the Milford area and will be moving during the summer. However, I am flexible if a different town works better for school. We already applied to the CT technical school system (which includes Platt) back in October. But he has been waitlisted. So he is not guaranteed a spot there.

His areas of interest are information technology, engineering and business.

Old 03-20-2024, 11:45 AM

837 posts, read 506,182 times
Quote:
We have been focusing on the Milford area and will be moving during the summer. However, I am flexible if a different town works better for school. We already applied to the CT technical school system (which includes Platt) back in October. But he has been waitlisted. So he is not guaranteed a spot there.

Fingers crossed for you for Platt. You might want to look at ESUMS, but the application date has passed for next year.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:22 PM

20 posts, read 5,909 times
Quote:

Platt Tech - New school looks great from the outside. College is not the focus, trades are. It doesn't necessarily hold you back, but college is not the focus, nor should it be. We need more tradespeople!

Son graduated from ESUMS. ESUMS is a lottery with preference given to New Haven and West Haven. Surrounding towns are given few slots. Newer building is great there too - just on the edge of the UNH campus. Goes from 6th through 12th grade and slots open up each year. as kids leave/decide it's not for them. Would definitely recommend for engineering. Son is graduating from Wentworth this year in Mech Eng and had a strong foundation going in.

Good luck.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:56 PM

512 posts, read 351,445 times
I also have direct experience with ESUMS. I can second everything M-Elon said above. Top notch school if you have a budding engineer. Your child will be prepared for a rigorous academic program in college if that is the route they take.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:39 PM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:

ESUMS sounds like it would be a good fit and it's very close.

I know a Milford family that had 4 kids, 3 went to normal PS, one went to Fairchild Wheeler in Bridgeport which has software/IT programs. That's also not a terrible commute. 15-20 minutes depending on where you are in Milford.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:12 AM

We have a tour set up for Fairchild Wheeler on Thursday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut