Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 08:15 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I currently have two wall AC's.

But growing up in the 80's and 90's......no AC.

Am I the only one or did some of your high rollers have it even then?
70s and 80s here. At some point my parents got one window unit in their room and it didn't come on often. If we were really good we could stand in front of it on really hot days. Due to the layout of the house it really didn't cool much of the house other than their bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Had window units growing up. They put in central right after I moved out. Like literally right after.
haha my sister got a second phone line. I spent years begging for one. She got my room AND the phone line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 08:36 PM

6,911 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
70s and 80s here. At some point my parents got one window unit in their room and it didn't come on often. If we were really good we could stand in front of it on really hot days. Due to the layout of the house it really didn't cool much of the house other than their bedroom.

haha my sister got a second phone line. I spent years begging for one. She got my room AND the phone line.
Then they threw away my vinyl record collection. Friggin idiots

Old 07-06-2023, 10:02 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
That's funny, because I also grew up in the late 70's and 80's ...and we had no AC at all. I lived in Maryland (near Delaware state line) then we moved to New Haven area. It was tough, but it did seem like you acclimated to it. The first days of October when you would get temps in the morning in the low 50's F seemed cold after the heat all summer.
Anyone will get used to hot weather if they have to live it 24/7. Some may adapt faster than others (it's genetic), but eventually everybody gets there. The human body is quite something. One thing you will notice in the Caribbean, where most places have a tropical climate except at high elevations, the local men tend to not wear shorts. That's usually a sign of an American or someone that lived for a long time in the USA. American men seem to be allergic to wearing long pants in the heat.

I recently learn that the heat will increase your heartbeat and will make your heart work harder. This isn't an issue to much of the population, but anyone with heart problems, people that suffered a heart attack or simply in old age should be in an a/c area for as much as possible when there is plenty of heat.

Old 07-07-2023, 04:09 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
One big wall unit, I believe is original to the house (1978) and works great, plus one window unit in our bedroom I just installed yesterday. Had a couple Townhomes with Central A/C and Heat, Duct locations (Low) were better set up for heat, but did the job. We are considering a Mini Split.

Old 07-07-2023, 06:00 AM

843 posts, read 508,047 times
I have a ductless mini-split system. We installed it immediately after moving down here in August of 2000. We absolutely love. I use it for heat during shoulder season or warm stretches of winter. I only used 1 tank of oil last year, and that inclusions my hot water. My biggest electric bill was $300. Keeping the hosue cool in the summer and warm in that's, That's about $140 above baseline.

Old 07-07-2023, 06:04 AM

976 posts, read 323,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
One big wall unit, I believe is original to the house (1978) and works great, plus one window unit in our bedroom I just installed yesterday. Had a couple Townhomes with Central A/C and Heat, Duct locations (Low) were better set up for heat, but did the job. We are considering a Mini Split.
My house was built in 1978 as well. I have a big wall unit in the back of the house, and it really keeps about 75% of the house pretty cool. The two other unit are in a sun room and bedroom (both are in the sun all day, so they heat up quick).

Still, based on the responses, I think I really need to get central ac if I sell my home. It looks like many people have central AC in CT.

Old 07-07-2023, 06:17 AM

89 posts, read 123,347 times
I grew up in the 50's with no A/C of any type. I now live in a 1984's cape with baseboard heat so of course no central air. I had a mini-split system installed a few years ago. It works wonderfully.

Old 07-07-2023, 06:21 AM

843 posts, read 508,047 times
Quote:
My house was built in 1978 as well. I have a big wall unit in the back of the house, and it really keeps about 75% of the house pretty cool. The two other unit are in a sun room and bedroom (both are in the sun all day, so they heat up quick).

Still, based on the responses, I think I really need to get central ac if I sell my home. It looks like many people have central AC in CT.
My house was also built in 1978. I bought it without central air. It was priced a little less than houses with central. To sell, I wouldn't. I would just price a little less.

Old 07-07-2023, 12:59 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
A common thing in older apts. in NYC and Westchester County is to have a wall unit built in when they constructed the apartment. That is the case where I currently live (since 2019, 2 story garden apt complex). The place I lived in from 2002 to 2019, even though it is a 7 story building built in the 1930s (or maybe because it's that old, my first sentence mostly dealt with apts built in the 1950s and 60s), did not come with this and I had 2 wall units of my own in there.

Grew up in the 1970s to early 80s, house I was in my parents had a wall unit in their bedroom and that was it. They would let my sister and I sleep in there on the floor with sleeping bags on hot summer nights. My mom still lives there (my dad passed about a quarter century ago), she's added a wall unit to one of the other bedrooms but that's it, she worries about the power bill and rarely has it on except for sleeping on unusually warm nights or when they say it will be in the mid 90s or higher during the day.

Old 07-07-2023, 04:12 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
That's funny, because I also grew up in the late 70's and 80's ...and we had no AC at all. I lived in Maryland (near Delaware state line) then we moved to New Haven area. It was tough, but it did seem like you acclimated to it. The first days of October when you would get temps in the morning in the low 50's F seemed cold after the heat all summer.
Me neither. Just fans. At one point my mom got a window AC for her bedroom which was a crazy luxury item and it was only because she actually worked in the summer so had to get up early unlike my brother and I. But I can remember some nights needing to wait until about 2 AM for it to cool off enough to sleep. Yet oddly I almost miss it. Not enough to go without AC--let's not get crazy. Last night my power went out for 3 hours. I thought how this was what life was once always like. But it gave a unique character and personality to the summer. Summer was truly summer, no antiseptic temp control indoors.

It also made me hate winter less because it represented a rest from the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: