Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 04:40 PM

34,056 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post

Increasingly with newer sporting venues and concert venues there seems to be a trend: LESS seats. Artificially reduce supply, make it more exclusive, and watch the $$$ roll in.
Correct. More luxury boxes is the huge revenue stream. A three game suite package at Yankee was costlier than a half season plan (40 games) of four seats right behind home plate, just before covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 07:49 PM

388 posts, read 160,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
But it's more complicated than that. The vast majority of seats at The Meadows are non-seats on the lawn. Only about 6,000 pavilion seats I believe. You can only get away with charging so much for lawn. And then if you take away the lawn entirely and thus reduce supply and increase demand, you might be able to justify charging even more for seats. So while the capacity is vastly less in Bridgeport, the profitability may not be less at all. It might even be more.

Increasingly with newer sporting venues and concert venues there seems to be a trend: LESS seats. Artificially reduce supply, make it more exclusive, and watch the $$$ roll in.
You’re exactly correct. Look at the newest NFL stadiums being built, it’s not about total seats, it’s about quality of seats ($ can charge),

Buffalo new build will have less seats and so will Nashville.

Old 08-12-2023, 08:07 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
You’re exactly correct. Look at the newest NFL stadiums being built, it’s not about total seats, it’s about quality of seats ($ can charge),

Buffalo new build will have less seats and so will Nashville.

Also in MLB. The A's new ballpark in Vegas will only seat 30,000!

It's sad. A sign of the times. It used to be about trying to make sure everyone who wanted to go could go. Not anymore.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:42 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
That’s why I don’t see big acts very often. When decent seats are $500-$1500, you know something is deeply wrong.

I’ll stick to shows locally at small or medium venues.

Old 08-13-2023, 02:35 PM

388 posts, read 160,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That’s why I don’t see big acts very often. When decent seats are $500-$1500, you know something is deeply wrong.

I’ll stick to shows locally at small or medium venues.
That’s an over exaggeration. Resale tickets, sure, but that pricing is directly tied to supply and demand. A listed ticket price also doesn’t mean it will sell for that amount.

A decent percentage of people nowadays get the tickets on the regular sale for face value then put it up for sale as their “at this price I’d rather sell”. So they get the ticket for $150, list it for $700 and when it doesn’t sell they end up going anyways.

The only couple of big exceptions lately are Taylor Swift (huge outlier), Beyoncé and Bruce Springsteen.

I’ve been to multiple “big ticket shows” in the past year, among those are Taylor Swift and Metallica, and had amazing seats for each (100 level center stage and floor) and neither were more than $250 total all in. The Metallica ticket technically was $365 total but it was for 2 different nights, 2 separate concerts (with no repeat songs and completely different setlists)

Old 08-13-2023, 02:49 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
That’s an over exaggeration. Resale tickets, sure, but that pricing is directly tied to supply and demand. A listed ticket price also doesn’t mean it will sell for that amount.

A decent percentage of people nowadays get the tickets on the regular sale for face value then put it up for sale as their “at this price I’d rather sell”. So they get the ticket for $150, list it for $700 and when it doesn’t sell they end up going anyways.

The only couple of big exceptions lately are Taylor Swift (huge outlier), Beyoncé and Bruce Springsteen.

I’ve been to multiple “big ticket shows” in the past year, among those are Taylor Swift and Metallica, and had amazing seats for each (100 level center stage and floor) and neither were more than $250 total all in. The Metallica ticket technically was $365 total but it was for 2 different nights, 2 separate concerts (with no repeat songs and completely different setlists)
You’re right.
I’m contemplating Aerosmith at UBS arena but will wait till day of show for price drops on Stub Hub. It’s also contingent on the set list. If it’s mostly their 90 s and 2000s garbage then forget it. If I knew they were only going to play stuff from Get your Wings, Toys in the attic and Rocks records I would pay 1k per ticket easy.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:

The fact that you think those prices are great is part of the problem. Ticket prices have gone up dramatically over the past 20-30 even if you adjust for inflation.

Old 08-13-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
You’re right.
I’m contemplating Aerosmith at UBS arena but will wait till day of show for price drops on Stub Hub. It’s also contingent on the set list. If it’s mostly their 90 s and 2000s garbage then forget it. If I knew they were only going to play stuff from Get your Wings, Toys in the attic and Rocks records I would pay 1k per ticket easy.
Oh don't you worry. Walk This Way, Sweet Emotion, and maybe even Back In The Saddle will be in the setlist!

BTW, I saw Aerosmith (when Steven could still sing and they were at the peak of their popularity on the Pump tour) and Skid Row in 1990 in Springfield and I probably paid $30 max. That would be $70 today.

BTW #2, if you want to spoil the surprise and find out what setlists bands are playing, there's this site.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/aerosmith-3bd6b8fc.html

Old 08-13-2023, 05:05 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:

It's not over exaggeration. I've seen crazy prices for A-list shows. Also, I want decent tickets. I don't want nose bleeds. Don't want to squint to see the band. Any decent seats are crazy.

Example, was interested in seeing Pearl Jam with a friend in Minneapolis.

Floor center seats are $1000 each (back row!). Further back on floor on side, $400 minimum. All other good seats are $400+. Don't know what the GA tickets were, they're sold out.

$160 gets a seat farrr from the act. I'm just not interested at that point.

Those all are non-resale tickets.

Same with Aerosmith's last tour.

I paid quite a lot to see Kendrick Lamar and Gorillaz last year (each $250 for decent seats), and they're lower tier than Pearl Jam/Aerosmith.

Last edited by Stylo; 08-13-2023 at 05:13 PM..

Old 08-13-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It's not over exaggeration. I've seen crazy prices for A-list shows. Also, I want decent tickets. I don't want nose bleeds. Don't want to squint to see the band. Any decent seats are crazy.

Example, was interested in seeing Pearl Jam with a friend in Minneapolis.

Floor center seats are $1000 each. Further back on floor on side, $400 minimum. All other good seats are $400+. Don't know what the GA tickets were, they're sold out.

$160 gets a seat farrr from the act. I'm just not interested at that point.

Those all are non-resale tickets.

Same with Aerosmith's last tour.

I paid quite a lot to see Kendrick Lamar and Gorillaz last year (each $250 for decent seats), and they're lower tier than Pearl Jam/Aerosmith.

The saddest part is they decided instead of beating the scalpers they would just join them and pre-scalp tickets at the box office. "Dynamic pricing", pretty much just an Orwellian term for scalping.

And Pearl Jam was the band that waged a war against Ticketmaster over ticket prices in the 90's and that's when you could probably get a great seat for 30 bucks! Guess they've long given up even trying to fight it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut