Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:25 PM

170 posts, read 648,468 times

Advertisements

Have you tried cable instead of DSL? If you have cable hookup to your house it's a snap to have it installed. You could try comcast since their cable service is pretty good and they install it for you or send you the do it yourself kit. I think it's worth looking into (not only that but cable is actually faster than DSL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 AM

136 posts, read 763,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
I work for a company located at the end of cul de sac on Bidwell Road in South Windsor. We've been wanting to get internet service but apparently we can't from the cable company (Cox Communications) because we don't have an appropriate line going to our building. The wires go underground to us from the nearest telephone pole, about 250 ft away. They did an assessment and it would not be worth the cost of connecting us.

We then tried AT&T DSL. They sent us the install yourself kit, we tried and had several problems. At the end of it, they say "sorry but it's not going to work because of your location." I have limited knowledge about DSL but I think if you're not within a specific range of their nearest station, you won't be able to receive a signal.

I was wondering if anyone else has run into a similar situation and did you find a solution?

Also, would anyone know where to find a map of AT&T's DSL coverage or the where abouts of current dsl stations and if there are any new ones being built in the area?

Thanks in advance!
Considering the size of CT, the number of people that live in this state(many of them with lots of money) one would think that every corner of this state should be able to have access to gas lines, internet, cable, decent cell phone coverage(this is relative to who you have as cell phone operator) and other similar necessities. Some cities in the world are the size of CT and have far more people living in them and still have access to all these amenities.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:13 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckexpat View Post
Considering the size of CT, the number of people that live in this state(many of them with lots of money) one would think that every corner of this state should be able to have access to gas lines, internet, cable, decent cell phone coverage(this is relative to who you have as cell phone operator) and other similar necessities. Some cities in the world are the size of CT and have far more people living in them and still have access to all these amenities.
Why would you think that??? Connecticut has some pretty rural areas and to assume it is big enough to support all of these urban type amenities is not realistic. The cities you are saying are not spread out as the 3.5 million people we have here, so I do not think you can compare them to our state. Also note that many towns are debating the desire for good cell phone service and preserving our beautiful landscape to prevent it from being marred by cell phone towers. This is a tough choice and I can see both sides of the arguement. Jay

Old 06-03-2008, 06:14 PM

136 posts, read 763,387 times
I can see your argument about cell phone towers, they look ugly no matter where they are but they are fact of life and they will be everywhere whether people like it or not.

But you still have locations very close to your metropolitan areas like Hartford who do not have access to gas lines or limited(by this I mean you are stuck with one cable/internet operator) or no cable/internet service. Good example is what the first person posted on this topic. It is insane that they would not try to bring the service to a business location.

And all those lines run underground so they won't spoil the natural beauty around.

As for the size of the state and the population I used to live in one with similar size to CT. They are plenty of them around N. America especially.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:05 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Utility lines are expensive to install and running lines underground is even more expensive. There is just not enough money or customer base to justify the costs involved. And this is true in every state, not just Connecticut. Jay

Old 06-04-2008, 03:48 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Utility lines are expensive to install and running lines underground is even more expensive. There is just not enough money or customer base to justify the costs involved. And this is true in every state, not just Connecticut. Jay
I agree completely. I live in Marlborough and we have no natural gas available, and sewers are just being put in (they just started this week) around the lake in a targeted area. You can bet that there is no way in hell I would vote for a massive tax increase to put in natural gas lines all over town, or serve every home and business with a sewer. The bottom line is the taxpayers have to pay for it, and most of us are not willing to see our property taxes skyrocket in order to do so.

Mind you, not just the town would have the burden. The sewers in Marlborough are being paid for by a grant from the state of CT, so realisticly everyone would pay for more rural areas to come up to speed to have every utility available. Not likely to be popular with the voters.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:31 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Why would you think that??? Connecticut has some pretty rural areas and to assume it is big enough to support all of these urban type amenities is not realistic.
I think there's a tendency to assume that Connecticut's population of 3.5 million is evenly split throughout the state. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Three quarters of the state's population reside in just 3 of the 8 counties. That means the remaining 5 counties have about 5 percent (or 175,000) each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut