Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2023, 05:56 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times

Advertisements

I have started driving fairly regularly through Route 2 west during the morning rush. I am not sure how it is possible, but the recent construction project has actually made traffic significantly worse in that area. I went to the DOT website to see what the actual construction plan is, and it was unhelpful. After their changes, every car that is not going in the far left lane to downtown Hartford has to sit in one lane of traffic until a second lane finally appears just before exit 3, allowing the people going to 84 east and East Hartford to get around the traffic backup going to 84 west.

Does anyone know if this is temporary and they plan on changing the lanes back to how they were? Surely DOT is aware that they have created a traffic nightmare that previously did not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 10:30 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
That entire project has been..... I think I'd be banned if I said what I'm feeling. It's a royal mess. People still pick the lanes they want even if it means crossing 3 lanes of traffic so no worries there. And once the pavement is finally in place people will just drive faster so - more accidents are my prediction.

I would suggest emailing the project manager with your concerns. I've contacted him a couple of times and he's actually come out to the area to see what I meant.

I am lucky I am not committed to a rush hour schedule else I'd be suicidal by now. I've done it a few times though and know what you mean.

You have to wonder if they even drive out to the locations to see the traffic patterns and what they are changing.

Old 09-14-2023, 05:25 PM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I have started driving fairly regularly through Route 2 west during the morning rush. I am not sure how it is possible, but the recent construction project has actually made traffic significantly worse in that area. I went to the DOT website to see what the actual construction plan is, and it was unhelpful. After their changes, every car that is not going in the far left lane to downtown Hartford has to sit in one lane of traffic until a second lane finally appears just before exit 3, allowing the people going to 84 east and East Hartford to get around the traffic backup going to 84 west.

Does anyone know if this is temporary and they plan on changing the lanes back to how they were? Surely DOT is aware that they have created a traffic nightmare that previously did not exist.
I know the project and this is a temporary condition. It will go back to its original lane arrangement when they are done. Give them time. I believe the project is scheduled for completion next year. Jay

Old 09-15-2023, 05:47 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know the project and this is a temporary condition. It will go back to its original lane arrangement when they are done. Give them time. I believe the project is scheduled for completion next year. Jay
Oh thank goodness, thank you Jay. That lane configuration defies all logic. I was truly worried that some genius somehow thought this was an improvement.

Old 09-15-2023, 01:29 PM

6,918 posts, read 3,754,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
you sure about that?
Singapore and Dubai would of had it done 10 minutes ago finished up and put a bow and tie on top

Old 09-15-2023, 04:48 PM

1,725 posts, read 1,148,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
you sure about that?
Singapore and Dubai would of had it done 10 minutes ago finished up and put a bow and tie on top
So you are pro slave labor then? A bold stance!

But yeah has any construction project in the Western world ever been completed on time?

Old 09-15-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
you sure about that?
Wrong. You can’t pour concrete and have it properly cure any faster in those places has it takes here. The same with paving. What adds time to our construction work is winter shutdown from about December 1 to March 15th and maintaining traffic lanes through construction zones. These add at least a year to the project schedule. Unfortunately you can’t overcome these without great cost or impact to people. Jay

Old 09-15-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
So you are pro slave labor then? A bold stance!

But yeah has any construction project in the Western world ever been completed on time?
Right here in Connecticut the Q Bridge was completed on time and under budget. It received awards for that. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut