Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2023, 04:17 PM

4,500 posts, read 3,396,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

If an agency can get you $20 an hour full-time, the max rent you'd qualify for using the 30% gross rule is $1,000 a month. That is way below most Ct towns stock. However, the inner cities and Naugatuck Valley might come close.

Good luck.
I only know about east of New Haven because that is where my husband and I want to retire. In looking at condos I also look at apartments from time to time just to see what is going on with the entire real estate markets in those town.

I notice in some towns where you would think you could never find affordable apartments.....you actually can. I see up in that area they actually have studios and small one bedrooms.

Here are some:

North Branford, 500 sf, $975 a month
https://www.apartments.com/203-twin-...unit-1/0gxkj31

East Haven, 650 SFF, $1000
https://www.apartments.com/sea-breez...ven-ct/tyykbbb

These Branford condos are small at 550 sf so I sometimes see them for rent at about $1000.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...a/pid_52420066

You have to keep looking at craigslist and the real estate sites diligently to find them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a little off topic but if CT is ever going to solve rental affordability it needs to somehow invest or give others incentive to build apartment buildings that have studios and smaller one bedrooms specifically for young people like Woodwindsrock. And single seniors too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 04:37 PM

7,100 posts, read 3,858,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
This is a little off topic but if CT is ever going to solve rental affordability it needs to somehow invest or give others incentive to build apartment buildings that have studios and smaller one bedrooms specifically for young people like Woodwindsrock. And single seniors too.
Isn't that called the dreaded - 830G (sudden ominous music playing)? The one all you guys in precious and beloved Trumbull and Fairfield are trying to stop.

Bob is right, Woodwinds will probably be limited to inner city and low level Naugatuck Valley where the working class there prefer OK style politics that he/she wants to flee from.

Old 11-28-2023, 09:09 AM

21,895 posts, read 28,275,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Isn't that called the dreaded - 830G (sudden ominous music playing)? The one all you guys in precious and beloved Trumbull and Fairfield are trying to stop.

Bob is right, Woodwinds will probably be limited to inner city and low level Naugatuck Valley where the working class there prefer OK style politics that he/she wants to flee from.
The valley is red for CT. Big difference from red for OK.

Old 11-28-2023, 05:13 PM

34,157 posts, read 17,235,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The valley is red for CT. Big difference from red for OK.
My hunch is, unless her dad wants to move, she won't move. At data entry wages, that is most likely the prudent thing to do.

Old 12-05-2023, 05:44 PM

427 posts, read 162,777 times
I'm beginning to lean toward finding somewhere in one of the Southern towns, or at least finding a job that would be close enough. My parents are likely to end up on the coast and so I would like to make that transition smooth when it's time for them to move up, so it's looking like me settling somewhere nearby with a job close by may be the best.

If this wasn't the case, I would trend more toward the Hartford metro, but I was legitimately undecided, so it's good to find reasons to help me make this very tough decision.

Anyway...

There's something I need to clarify, even though this still isn't going to say it all. There is another reason I am needing to make this move, one I haven't mentioned. It is actually the #1 reason that this move needs to be made, and it is much, much more major than the others and is urgent. I previously haven't even alluded to it, because it's personal and I'd rather not talk about it in public places. I'm still holding to that, but am just putting it out there that there is another reason. Another factor you all don't know about.

Unfortunately that reason makes this move urgent. I do not actually have the luxury of sticking around and completing a degree or certification that could help me have a better paying job. That ship has sailed. It's something I SHOULD have been thinking about all along since graduating from high school, but I could not predict where I am today that this move needs to be made.

I also can't wait for my parents. They are very fond of Connecticut after this trip that dad and I took and are really wanting to move, but in order for them to move, it requires the preparations, cleaning and selling of the current house. Even if they started with all of this right at this very moment, it would take a lot longer time than can work for my circumstances to make this move line up. Them moving is a "later" thing. Although if all goes well, it could be within the next year. Of which, then I can just come live with them and my situation gets a lot more stable (which is what brings me to leaning toward a job close to the coast).

I get it, I get that this is an incredibly difficult jump and it's not advisable. But these are the circumstances I have in front of me, and one way or another, sacrifices are going to have to be made. The sacrifices that would have to be made for me to stay in Oklahoma much longer are far too much for me.

It's unfortunate that I am in this position. I wish I had been more proactive in getting a career put together, but this is all tied together. Between now and high school I was in a bit of a frozen mental state, where I couldn't think properly. It was because of the combination of onset health issues and unresolved traumas. For that entire time, I didn't think I had a future or anything, and only lived for the moment. I only went to college to enjoy learning what I wanted to learn, I wasn't realistically thinking of a future career.

I bring this up not for sympathy or pity, but instead to help explain a little more... Because over the past few years I have resolved that trauma and taken care of my health issues and gotten myself back on track to think about what I really want to do with my life. But staying in Oklahoma is likely to knock me back down into that trauma and bring me right back down into that very sad state of mind.

I know that I've explained very little here with me not giving what the #1 reason really is. But I don't want to talk about it. I just need everyone to understand two things: 1. I have to move. and 2. I have to move quickly.

Old 12-05-2023, 05:47 PM

Best wishes, OP.

Old 12-06-2023, 12:38 PM

7,100 posts, read 3,858,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I just need everyone to understand two things: 1. I have to move. and 2. I have to move quickly.
Ah aha, got it, yep, the clock is ticking. Housing is tight in CT right now so you might need to sacrifice some size and safety for affordability, at least temporarily. Get in touch with realtors who could explore rentals.

All the best, stay in touch.

Old 12-06-2023, 12:52 PM

21,895 posts, read 28,275,807 times
If you want to focus on the southern part of state with a limited budget and need to get a rental quickly, look at Derby and Ansonia. They are not the most desirable towns, but well located, cheap, and relatively safe.

You could also try West Haven. Generally, toward Milford and Orange tend to be better areas.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I'm beginning to lean toward finding somewhere in one of the Southern towns, or at least finding a job that would be close enough. [/i].
Very sensible decision, based on economic constraints IMO.

Old 12-07-2023, 12:42 PM

35,093 posts, read 57,224,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Very sensible decision, based on economic constraints IMO.
Just to clarify this I believe they are talking about southern Connecticut, not the southern USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut