Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 07:33 AM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I am just a couple of days away from my trip, now! =)

I've taken everyone's suggestions seriously for where to spend my time looking. I noticed not many suggestions for New Britain and Waterbury. I remember early on in my research thinking those places are more affordable. Now I'm wondering if I should spend less time there. I have a couple of days set for looking at the area in between Hartford and New Haven. Perhaps it's better spent just looking at Meriden, Middletown and Wallingford? Still think I'll check out New Britain, but am undecided on Waterbury.

I'm hoping I have enough time to get a feel of these towns. Getting a bit stressed out, but I'm excited, too! It looks like the weather will cooperate pretty well!
You must be excited! I would do New Britain over Waterbury for sure.

But Middletown first. Durham is also nice but may be more expensive.

Connecticut is not a big state. Make sure you get off the highway and drive through some of these towns. ie the Berlin Turnpike is a huge retail/commercial area that cuts through Newington down into Berlin, but both of those towns have nicer areas away from there.

<edit> sorry I think you were looking for more city/walkable places so probably forget about Durham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 07:51 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
If you read my post you will see were I said "Beyond the I-95 area south of New Haven toward NYC…". Meaning with the exception of that area, the I-91 corridor is the major corridor of jobs, hospitals...etc.

It seems like the OP is looking more toward the area between Hartford and New Haven.
Gotcha.

Yeah OP wasn’t tied to a job so I’d recommend keeping it a bit more open.

OP, as I mentioned originally I think you’d like New Haven and Middletown areas. I’d check out Milford, Orange, Branford, New Haven proper (particularly Westville, East Rock areas), Hamden, Wallingford, Middletown, Cheshire to start.

SKIP Waterbury and Meriden for sure. No bueno.

Old 11-10-2023, 10:05 AM

366 posts, read 780,471 times
New Britian is certainly worth exploring. I lived there for 18 years, and moved mostly due to the schools when my child entered third grade. There are some very nice neighborhoods, nice parks, a few notable restaurants, and a fantastic art museum. Also a pretty good local hospital. Very easy access to highways (I84, I91, Rte9) and centrally located within CT. If you have specific questions, just ask. Good luck!

Old 11-10-2023, 10:42 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
Agree 100%. Middletown is a good choice. You have many important highways that more or less converge in that area (i-91/ Route 9/route 66 to I-84). A great choice for a commuter. Easy from Hartford area to shoreline, modest price housing, ...ect.
I agree as well. Middletown is conveniently located within reasonable commuting distance of several major employment centers including Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury and eastern Fairfield County. It’s so convenient. I think the OP will like it. Jay

Old 11-12-2023, 06:37 AM

426 posts, read 159,943 times
I made it in at a late 10 something PM EST last night. I was happy to be greeted by all of the UCONN banners and everything in the airport! The mascot is very cute!!

Anyway, sleepless night last night, but I’ve got to start the hard work today. I’m excited!! I thought of giving details where I’m exploring day to day, but… privacy, you know? I may give some rundowns after I’ve visited each place.

I’m just unbelievably excited to be in New England! I must have driven my poor dad (and the girl sitting by us on the plane, very full flight) crazy when we landed and I started going “OMG WE’RE IN CONNECTICUT, WE’RE REALLY HERE!!!” a hundred times over! Lol

Old 11-12-2023, 06:55 AM

972 posts, read 322,781 times
Quote:
I made it in at a late 10 something PM EST last night. I was happy to be greeted by all of the UCONN banners and everything in the airport! The mascot is very cute!!

Anyway, sleepless night last night, but I’ve got to start the hard work today. I’m excited!! I thought of giving details where I’m exploring day to day, but… privacy, you know? I may give some rundowns after I’ve visited each place.

I’m just unbelievably excited to be in New England! I must have driven my poor dad (and the girl sitting by us on the plane, very full flight) crazy when we landed and I started going “OMG WE’RE IN CONNECTICUT, WE’RE REALLY HERE!!!” a hundred times over! Lol
Traveling is always fun. Glad to hear you made here.

The weather should be pretty decent, slightly colder than normal for the next few days, but otherwise bright sunshine and dry for the next 5 - 7 days temps in the 50's F.

Because of my business, I generally drive all over the state (and the greater Tri-State area- NYC/CT/NJ, RI). If you plan on doing a lot of traveling, one tip is to have the CT Traffic CAMERA site up on your phone. This network has a extensive number of cameras mounted up and down our states highways. That way, if suddenly your traveling on the highway and traffic come to a slow down (on I-91 for example), you can quickly bring up the cameras and see if it is just a short delay, or you need to seek another route. They also have AM station 880 (reception is touchy in some areas) that does the same thing. It can save you grief and time from sitting in traffic. Normally however, I-91 is not too bad.

I'm sure others will tell you what to see and do (depending on how much time you have) but you'll likely come away that for such a small state CT has a really varied landscape and even culture. Our spot between Boston and NYC seems to make the state fairly interesting. I always joke, CT is like a mini-USA, we have mts (but small ones)...a coastline (but not really on the open sea)...and cities (but not big ones like NYC or Miami).

Good Luck.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:42 AM

6,901 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
we landed and I started going “OMG WE’RE IN CONNECTICUT, WE’RE REALLY HERE!!!” a hundred times over! Lol
Welcome to my world. I hear or read this stuf on a near daily basis, and usually accompanied by many "OMG"s and pics.
"OMG this Town, my Love"
"I cannot believe we live here, OMG!"
"We're so blessed to be here OMG"
Never have I ever experienced this degree of personnel who have such passion and unconditional love for a state or particular town within the state.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:24 AM

426 posts, read 159,943 times
Simonusa3: thank you very much for the tip. I searched that on my browser and will keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Welcome to my world. I hear or read this stuf on a near daily basis, and usually accompanied by many "OMG"s and pics.
"OMG this Town, my Love"
"I cannot believe we live here, OMG!"
"We're so blessed to be here OMG"
Never have I ever experienced this degree of personnel who have such passion and unconditional love for a state or particular town within the state.
Hm… plenty of people are enthusiastic about towns and states. In OK I see people wearing OK shirts with a heart in the middle of them all of the time.

For me, it’s partially the excitement of seeing a new place, in fact the place I have dreamed of living in since I was a teen. I’m excited to see the historical architecture and sites. I love old colonial style architecture. I can’t wait to see the coast and the lighthouses. All of this is super special compared to NE Oklahoma which is pretty plain.

And maybe I want to live somewhere I like.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:10 AM

972 posts, read 322,781 times
Quote:
Simonusa3: thank you very much for the tip. I searched that on my browser and will keep it up.

Hm… plenty of people are enthusiastic about towns and states. In OK I see people wearing OK shirts with a heart in the middle of them all of the time.

For me, it’s partially the excitement of seeing a new place, in fact the place I have dreamed of living in since I was a teen. I’m excited to see the historical architecture and sites. I love old colonial style architecture. I can’t wait to see the coast and the lighthouses. All of this is super special compared to NE Oklahoma which is pretty plain.

And maybe I want to live somewhere I like.
Just keep in mind...while are many areas with historic architecture and colonial design, some areas have been rebuilt over the years and look less that way than others. In some areas there are modern buildings and older buildings side by side. Also many of the newer suburbs have more modern housing styles (ranch, modern...ect), so it may not look all that different than back home. If you really want to see old historical buildings/colonial architecture, seek out the older towns and cities. New Haven, Wethersfield, and Guilford come to mind.

As far as lighthouses...there are many historical ones to see. Check out New Haven Lighthouse, you can walk right up to it...check out the New London lighthouse...and ledge light (200 yr old) in Stonington. A bit further away (not in CT), is Beavertail Light In Rhode Island - you are 100 feet off the ground with an endless view of the ocean. It is truly unbelievable if you like lighthouses.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:13 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:

Welcome to Connecticut. I hope you have a good time here.

Rather than rely on CTDOT cameras for traffic information, I’d suggest using a traffic app like Waze to avoid traffic problems. It will give you the best route to take where you are going. CTDOT does not do that. Have a great time. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut