Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 07:49 PM

393 posts, read 178,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I have noticed a few odd things lately. Flippers are still coming in which is good and bad. One home where I am was asking for 125K last July. It sold three weeks later for 170K. Now it's being flipped for almost 370K. Nearly 3x the price it was ten months ago. Now they put on a new roof, new windows, demoed a chimney etc. It clearly needed work. Anyways in places where there are existing homes in such bad shape it makes sense they need to make a profit. I just think maybe there could be a non profit to help some people maintain homes (under certain guidelines). If this keeps happening it means values increase which means taxes eventually increase. It reminds me of a insurance group I know of that bragged about going years without an increase (this was 10 years ago) then reality hit. 12%, 10% 15%. They should have gone 2-3% annually to smooth it out.

The other thing I have seen in some homes is assumable mortgages. It's one so far but the news is spreading. I'm not saying this is another sub prime or Alt A (I remember 2008). I don't even think these are in CT outside of one but still if it sounds too good to be true. Lastly is that there are still commercial buildings where they keep cramming in apartments. If you have commercial properties that can do this and it's permitted it's fine. I do forsee a huge and gradual shift away from autocentric business buildings. Banks are not going to be willing to lend to make a commercial lease for decades given the adoptions of EV's and the likelihood of online ordering.

370k is not exactly 3x of 170k. Also in the market where it costs $1000 to mud and tape a 8x8x8 office room it actually makes sense to buy a flip. Contractors are crazy. But looking at what people do to their houses it's obvious that nobody will give up their 3% mortgage unless they kick the bucket, so contractors are busy and can afford not to call back/show up for appointments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 08:19 PM

21,874 posts, read 28,253,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I have noticed a few odd things lately. Flippers are still coming in which is good and bad. One home where I am was asking for 125K last July. It sold three weeks later for 170K. Now it's being flipped for almost 370K. Nearly 3x the price it was ten months ago. Now they put on a new roof, new windows, demoed a chimney etc. It clearly needed work. Anyways in places where there are existing homes in such bad shape it makes sense they need to make a profit. I just think maybe there could be a non profit to help some people maintain homes (under certain guidelines). If this keeps happening it means values increase which means taxes eventually increase. It reminds me of a insurance group I know of that bragged about going years without an increase (this was 10 years ago) then reality hit. 12%, 10% 15%. They should have gone 2-3% annually to smooth it out.

The other thing I have seen in some homes is assumable mortgages. It's one so far but the news is spreading. I'm not saying this is another sub prime or Alt A (I remember 2008). I don't even think these are in CT outside of one but still if it sounds too good to be true. Lastly is that there are still commercial buildings where they keep cramming in apartments. If you have commercial properties that can do this and it's permitted it's fine. I do forsee a huge and gradual shift away from autocentric business buildings. Banks are not going to be willing to lend to make a commercial lease for decades given the adoptions of EV's and the likelihood of online ordering.
An annoying dirtbag bro I'm acquaintances with is flipping houses now. I cringe to think of it.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:45 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,205,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
An annoying dirtbag bro I'm acquaintances with is flipping houses now. I cringe to think of it.
Anyone still in the flipping game right now is either shrewd, desperate, or dumb. I suspect most are of the last category, but who knows if you can work the wholesaling for properties might eek out a profit.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:56 AM

21,874 posts, read 28,253,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Anyone still in the flipping game right now is either shrewd, desperate, or dumb. I suspect most are of the last category, but who knows if you can work the wholesaling for properties might eke out a profit.
He’s making money

Old 05-14-2024, 08:13 AM

7,081 posts, read 3,839,588 times
Quote:
Anyone still in the flipping game right now is either shrewd, desperate, or dumb. I suspect most are of the last category, but who knows if you can work the wholesaling for properties might eek out a profit.
This was so beyond ridiculous. If you do it in the right spot at the right time it could work out nicely.
The money is relative. Flipping in a down market could be worse as you may have to sit on the market longer after completion. This is economics 101 my peeps.

Old 05-14-2024, 09:01 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,205,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
He’s making money
Good on him then, all I know is that most of my buddies that flip part-time (mostly improvement guys) have almost completely exited the market right now and have shifted back to spot work for existing home owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
This was so beyond ridiculous. If you do it in the right spot at the right time it could work out nicely.
The money is relative. Flipping in a down market could be worse as you may have to sit on the market longer after completion. This is economics 101 my peeps.
20% margin is pretty much the standard top line goal for a flip. If you're paying inflated land costs, doing the repairs with inflated labor and material costs, marketing, etc where is that 20% going to come from? If you as a seller think the sales price will fill in the gaps there's a decent chance you'll be well over comps in an area.

In tight markets under-priced properties that'll give breathing room for a 10-20% profit are almost non-existent unless you go into in non-listed sales which is a insane risk in of itself. A flip that sells at cost is really a loss, especially if you used the project itself to obtain financing in anyway (usually for flips it's hard money loans).

Not saying no one can make money during a flip frenzy... just that the hanging risk is insane and will more than likely at best be a waste of time or worse a catastrophic failure.

Old 05-14-2024, 09:32 AM

Obviously nobody in this topic did any renovations in current market. Good luck with contractors even showing up at your place for a quote, if they show up, good luck with getting a quote. And when you get a quote better sit down.

Old 05-14-2024, 12:16 PM

545 posts, read 335,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
Obviously nobody in this topic did any renovations in current market. Good luck with contractors even showing up at your place for a quote, if they show up, good luck with getting a quote. And when you get a quote better sit down.
I got a quote to re-side my house and it was draw dropping what they quoted me for their low end materials. It was almost 15% of the value of the home...

Old 05-14-2024, 12:47 PM

7,081 posts, read 3,839,588 times
Quote:
Good on him then, all I know is that most of my buddies that flip part-time (mostly improvement guys) have almost completely exited the market right now and have shifted back to spot work for existing home owners.

20% margin is pretty much the standard top line goal for a flip. If you're paying inflated land costs, doing the repairs with inflated labor and material costs, marketing, etc where is that 20% going to come from? If you as a seller think the sales price will fill in the gaps there's a decent chance you'll be well over comps in an area.

In tight markets under-priced properties that'll give breathing room for a 10-20% profit are almost non-existent unless you go into in non-listed sales which is a insane risk in of itself. A flip that sells at cost is really a loss, especially if you used the project itself to obtain financing in anyway (usually for flips it's hard money loans).

Not saying no one can make money during a flip frenzy... just that the hanging risk is insane and will more than likely at best be a waste of time or worse a catastrophic failure.
I know this one guy, right now, bought two lots for about 2.6. The larger lot was subdivided for 2 homes, so 3 homes total. Build will be about 3-3.5ish. Selling will be about 7.5 for all three. So he's looking at close to 1.5 profit. Figure about 600-700 after cap gains and commissions. Not a bad days work and that works out to 10%. Check my math though.
The foundation on the first build is already in progress and looking to frame soon.
These homes are in a hood that has a waiting list a mile long, they will sell.

Old 05-14-2024, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
I got a quote to re-side my house and it was draw dropping what they quoted me for their low end materials. It was almost 15% of the value of the home...
Exactly. Contractors are nuts. But in the environment where it's cheaper for people to keep existing mortgage and take out equity to add a few more bedrooms/bathrooms it's totally understandable. Flippers are not idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut