Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:07 AM

22 posts, read 114,162 times

Advertisements

The commute from New Milford down Route 7 to Danbury is not very much fun either. Bethel would be way too rural for your wife, from the sounds of it. And not challenging enough for your daughter. IslandGirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 07:18 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,916,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl View Post
The commute from New Milford down Route 7 to Danbury is not very much fun either. Bethel would be way too rural for your wife, from the sounds of it. And not challenging enough for your daughter. IslandGirl
Are we talking about the same Bethel? The one that borders Danbury? You don't mean Bethlehem did you? Bethlehem is very rural yes.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:10 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,386,217 times
Bethelem is significantly more rural than Bethel. I don't even think that Bethelem has any stores at all, whereas Bethel has it's downtown and Target/ Big Y on Rt 6 and is close to all of the shopping in Danbury.The commute from New Milford to Danbury should be improving once the Brookfield bypass is completed in a year or two.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:23 AM

93 posts, read 392,949 times
Bethel...rural??? I'd say very, very suburban.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:45 AM

3,481 posts, read 9,375,566 times
I agree. I would not call Bethel rural. Typical CT suburb.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 AM

6 posts, read 43,969 times
Yes, stay away from Danbury if possible- good to visit for shopping etc. but not to raise children. I would reconsider Ridgefield. Newtown and Ridgefield are completely different- Ridgefield has double the population in a smaller sized town (land wise)- a bustling down town area and is 15 minutes to Danbury- its also an easy commute to NYC- has a strong artist community- and excellent schools. It has a very active community center with pick-up basket ball games in the evening- activities for kids, a fully equipt gym, indoor pool etc. Ridgefield has its own playhouse, art museam and orchestra (and choir) and not one fast food restaurant to speak of (maybe just one). It also has the nations #1 rated public golf course- yes, public, not private with memberships and fees etc. New Canaan is also great (Ridgefield squared) but is more expensive to live. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallone View Post
Just started new job in Danbury CT area in Nov-06.
Wife and daughter are excited about moving out in June.
Need advice on communities to live in!

Currently thinking about West Hartford/Farmington area.
Good schools, good libraries, sidewalks, dining options, reasonable housing prices, and within striking distance of NYC/Boston.
Major downside… I-84 commute for me – ugh!
Don’t’ think driving to Danbury will be significant problem as I get up ~5am, but coming back I’ve been told will not be fun.

Ridgefield and Newtown are too suburban for my wife.
We’ve been warned away from Danbury, although it’s not clear whether this is good advice.

Our hope is that we move to a real community as opposed to a set of strip malls surrounded by subdivisions.

My wife is a classical pianist, and a short story writer.
My daughter will be a sophomore in the ’07 school year, bright and motivated who needs an academically challenging (rather than challenged) environment, is a francophile, and into graphic arts.

I’m lucky to have a good science job and my passions outside of work are pickup basketball, singing, and outdoor stuff (running, biking, golf).

Any advice on communities, or the I-84 commute would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:17 AM

16 posts, read 104,730 times
I've been living in Danbury for seven years now and it's a fine city. As far as the immigration thing goes I've never had a problem with anyone. I have kids in the public school system and I have no complaints. I've been actively involved as a coach and parent in several youth sports and have met some incredibly good people.

Of course I did 15 years in the military and travelled the world. I've also been on the other side of the language barrier so I have some compassion for people coming to this country and the struggles they face. I had no problem with the people getting excited over the Brazilian soccer victory. I lived in Italy for several years and got quite used to it.

I think many of the businesses that have sprung up due to the immigration have spiced up and enlivened the city, if anything. There's nothing to fear about living in Danbury, take a first hand account.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:50 PM

93 posts, read 392,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter58 View Post
I've been living in Danbury for seven years now and it's a fine city. As far as the immigration thing goes I've never had a problem with anyone. I have kids in the public school system and I have no complaints. I've been actively involved as a coach and parent in several youth sports and have met some incredibly good people.

Of course I did 15 years in the military and travelled the world. I've also been on the other side of the language barrier so I have some compassion for people coming to this country and the struggles they face. I had no problem with the people getting excited over the Brazilian soccer victory. I lived in Italy for several years and got quite used to it.

I think many of the businesses that have sprung up due to the immigration have spiced up and enlivened the city, if anything. There's nothing to fear about living in Danbury, take a first hand account.
I couldn't agree more with your last sentence, however driving down Main Street makes Danbury seem more like a country in South America than the USA. About half of the signs are in Spanish and the illegals crowd on the side of the street (at least 50-75 of them there at a time) waiting to be picked up to perform odd-jobs.

Most of them don't have car insurance. I know 2 people who were hit by an illegal immigrant and were SOL.

And if anyone decides to move to Danbury, check out your neighborhood first. You don't want 17 people living in a 3 bedroom house next door.

Not my idea of a desirable community.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:18 AM

41 posts, read 214,806 times
I would suggest a good look at Newtown - it's close to Danbury for the 'city' stuff, your commute would be OK, and it has the feeling of a real town about it. Also the suggestions about areas around Candlewood Lake are good ones.. Brookfield hmm not so much.. Ridgefield yes but pricey, Bethel yes but pretty quiet.. Danbury does have some pretty nice neighborhoods.. but the city as a whole definitely has problems... if you are after community and cultural activity and good schools, safe familiy area I would say Ridgefield, Newtown, Bethel or a lake community.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:48 PM

12 posts, read 60,601 times
I agree with Hatter58. I live in Danbury and love it. However, its not for everyone. Choose your neighborhood wisely and you will never even see, deal, etc with illegals and still be close to practically everything.
However, some of the nicer areas are definitely Brookfield, Newtown, Bridgewater, Ridgefield, New Fairfield etc. I dislike Bethel and would not recommend it.
I laugh because if you live in any of those surrounding towns you will be coming to Danbury anyways on the weekends for your shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut