Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 05:08 AM

24 posts, read 17,630 times

Advertisements

How "Liberal" is the culture in West Hartford and Hartford?

Is Feminism prevalent?

Last edited by PM2017; 01-10-2024 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 06:17 AM

854 posts, read 514,768 times
First of all, you are implying that West Hartford and Hartford have the same culture or are similar in any way. Second of all, a quick google search will tell you how each has voted in the last set of elections. That should tell you plenty.

This is a blue state. West Hartford is an diverse, affluent suburb that consistently votes blue. Clinton beat Trump in 2020 20K vs 7K. Hartford is urban. If you want to find how a town feels about feminism, just google that election (or 2020.)

Last edited by JayCT; 01-10-2024 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Remove personal attack

Old 01-10-2024, 06:51 AM

512 posts, read 354,051 times
If you were familiar with New England, you'd know that we do not wear our politics on our sleeves. I have no idea how my neighbors vote (other than looking up stats), their view on trans people in bathrooms, or if they identify as a feminist. As a whole, we don't scream about our politics to others. This is how you stay friendly with your community and have a civil society. I absolutely adore the fact that New Englanders generally don't get all up in other peoples business.

Last edited by JayCT; 01-10-2024 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Removed personal attack

Old 01-10-2024, 07:10 AM

4,471 posts, read 3,370,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM2017 View Post

Is Feminism prevalent?
I was born and raised in Stamford in Fairfield County. I now live in a different part of Fairfield County. I am a woman.

I would say that in the larger cities and suburbs near them are all very similar throughout CT. Stamford, Hartford, New Haven and the surrounding areas are similar throughout the state probably because we are such a small state there is not great variation like a larger state.

IMO CT does have a pretty strong culture of feminism and as a woman I say Thank God for that. I have found that many of my superiors who were men are/were supporters of woman climbing higher in their careers for the most part. I think that this is one of the reasons that CT ends up in the top 10 (and many times top 5) for per capita income.

I have always felt in CT woman are championed to be the best they could be by both sexes.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:51 AM

6,345 posts, read 11,112,295 times
Some people are getting too defensive about an honest question. It appears the OP is not familiar with the Hartford area and just wants some honest feedback from people that are familiar with the area and WH. Since I lived in WH for fifteen years I sent him a PM to fill him in a little on the town. Try being good ambassadors and offer constructive advice for a potential new resident to the area instead of flaming him.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:21 AM

34,982 posts, read 57,077,795 times
I have to say I am very angry with the personal attacks in response to this thread. Let me remind you that it is against the rules of the forum to call out another poster on the open forum. That is a personal attack.

The proper way to handle it is to report the post by using the Report Post icon in the upper right corner of the post. You do not have to respond to the post but if you do remember to be respectful.

Because of the negative response the OP has requested that the thread be deleted. I am however keeping the thread open because the question asked is reasonable and respectful. Again, please keep your responses respectful or it will be deleted and infractions may be issued. JayCT, Moderator

Old 01-10-2024, 08:38 AM

6,969 posts, read 3,793,544 times
Quote:

Is Feminism prevalent?
Absolutely. Hundred percent, you kiddin'.
CT's main metros are very liberal and getting more progressive by the day.
Westport, down in FCounty is ground zero for the liberal proggy culture in the state. Westport is the OG.
The one caveat is that even in the most liberal enclaves, CT still loves it's segregation.

All the best if it's a search for a new home

Old 01-10-2024, 06:41 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,157,091 times
People are acting like it's not common knowledge that both Hartford and West Hartford skew pretty heavily liberal.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:54 PM

6,598 posts, read 5,000,655 times
To the OP, both Hartford and West Hartford are very liberal although their culture and "feel" are very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
If you were familiar with New England, you'd know that we do not wear our politics on our sleeves. I have no idea how my neighbors vote (other than looking up stats), their view on trans people in bathrooms, or if they identify as a feminist. As a whole, we don't scream about our politics to others. This is how you stay friendly with your community and have a civil society. I absolutely adore the fact that New Englanders generally don't get all up in other peoples business.
I used to think this was true until the 2016 election. After that so many of my friends started crying about Trump winning that is was easy to see which way they leaned.

Old 01-10-2024, 10:33 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,547,176 times
Quote:

Is Feminism prevalent?
My cousin lives there. They are moderate Democrats. They have voted Republican but never for Trump. He's a CPA she's a legal assistant they live in a condo and they have a grown son and grandchildren.

They're pretty average. Feminist? That's an odd question. They and their friends are egalitarian. They believe men and women are different but equal. I've met their friends. They are active in their church. No one is radical in any way. No one discusses feminism. They, like MOST Americans, do not hunt or own guns and believe in a woman's right to choose. if that lat part makes them feminists.

It's moderate leaning liberal.

Last edited by sheena12; 01-10-2024 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut