Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2024, 03:09 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,984,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I am going to vote for Middletown, but Groton has some really nice areas: Bluff Point, Long Point, Noank, and parts of Mystic! Have you been to those areas?

Honestly, I'm not sure. In the 1990's I've been on Route 1 and Route 12 quite a bit, and in the housing projects as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 05:17 PM

6,609 posts, read 5,012,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Are you joking? The SoNo Collection is the new upscale shopping mall in Norwalk. It’s where Nordstrom and Bloomingdale’s are located.

SoNo is short for South Norwalk which is sort of the old central business district and main train station on the New Haven line.

I've never heard of it either and I honestly think the little abbreviations (SoNo, DoNo) are silly - and easily duplicated so at some point you'll never know what someone is talking about. Not a dig on you Jay, I know you didn't make them!

There's an acronym that became popular recently but it was really started by the government in the 40s and they are in no way related. Anytime I see the acronym I think of the original one, not the current one everyone wants to push.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:42 PM

424 posts, read 175,242 times
SoNo is all the rage. Shopping galore. Kids are even snapping up the SoNo tees like it’s the next SoHo in NYC!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1278633879/

Get ‘em while they’re hot!

Old 05-10-2024, 10:15 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,672,618 times
Quote:
Are you joking? The SoNo Collection is the new upscale shopping mall in Norwalk. It’s where Nordstrom and Bloomingdale’s are located.

SoNo is short for South Norwalk which is sort of the old central business district and main train station on the New Haven line.
Jay, honestly I am TERRIBLE with abbreviations, and really won't know what people are talking about with them. Also because I live out of state currently, and only usually go 1-2 times a year, I am not always up-to-date with the new developments going on. I definitely know where South Norwalk is, but Norwalk isn't a town I visit that much when I am back in CT; except maybe to go out to eat sometimes.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
No, but I often note that RJ Julia in Madison and Middletown are great bookstores and what makes their town centers interesting and unique.
Is the branch in Middletown new? I've seen you talk about the Madison location a lot, but I don't remember you mentioning the Middletown location before this tournament. Is the Middletown location a recent new opening?

Old 05-10-2024, 10:28 PM

Default Middletown

Can we talk about Middletown? Middletown is seriously having the Tournament if its life!!!!

I have been to the downtown a few times, and it is very unique and beautiful, but has there been something else going on there in the recent years? Any huge developments or new things that are really attractive? I've come to enjoy the restaurants there more and more every time I've been, but I haven't visited super often.

I was looking back at results in previous tournaments, and it seems that Middletown has had some tough draws in the past: (2016 out to Ridgefield, 2018 out to Branford, 2020 out to Old Saybrook, 2022 out to East Lyme). I believe Middletown would've been strong favorites if it faced Ridgefield this tournament. However, the rest of the towns are all stronger on paper and according to the coefficients.

I am just curious what has been going for Middletown recently? What's with the significant jump. The biggest surprise to me was how easily it beat Westport. Now truthfully, Westport has greatly underperformed this tournament and I am not sure why that is either. Although Westport has tended to drop in performances with pretty much every tournament.

I am proud to say that Middletown has already secured its place in the Top 16 towns of the coefficient. As to the exact number, that'll depend on future rounds, but Middletown is officially a Top 16 town now!

One another note, Glastonbury is officially OUT of the Top 16 towns, and its coefficient has really plummeted.

Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM

7,025 posts, read 3,813,086 times
Quote:
Jay, honestly I am TERRIBLE with abbreviations, and really won't know what people are talking about with them. Also because I live out of state currently, and only usually go 1-2 times a year, I am not always up-to-date with the new developments going on. I definitely know where South Norwalk is, but Norwalk isn't a town I visit that much when I am back in CT; except maybe to go out to eat sometimes.
If you visit Fairfield and Milford it’s the same just a little bigger. There are no Norwalk residents on here to give it enough coverage. Its coastline is the sleeper, more charm and character than the other two (Southport and Rowayton are a wash). Forest neighborhoods away from coast rival Fairfield’s but are much nicer than Milford’s.

Take care guys

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

214 posts, read 264,607 times
Middletown

West Hartford

Branford

East Lyme

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

21,830 posts, read 28,208,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
If you visit Fairfield and Milford it’s the same just a little bigger. There are no Norwalk residents on here to give it enough coverage. Its coastline is the sleeper, more charm and character than the other two (Southport and Rowayton are a wash). Forest neighborhoods away from coast rival Fairfield’s but are much nicer than Milford’s.

Take care guys
SoNo is more city like than Fairfield downtown, Fairfield downtown is more city like than Milford.

But yeah it’s a nice center.

I don’t see the hype in Norwalk forest areas. Silvermine is nice. There’s some nice ones in Milford too you’re underestimating. Fairfield wins in that regard.

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

35,045 posts, read 57,132,699 times
Quote:
Is the branch in Middletown new? I've seen you talk about the Madison location a lot, but I don't remember you mentioning the Middletown location before this tournament. Is the Middletown location a recent new opening?
It’s been there seven years now, opening in 2017. It’s Wesleyan’s bookstore. Great asset to downtown Middletown.

https://www.wesleyanrjjulia.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut