Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2024, 12:28 AM

21,849 posts, read 28,227,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
there and there are a lot of smokestacks and factories in Fairfield near the Bpt line.
Nah, that’s Bridgeport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 04:36 AM

7,051 posts, read 3,826,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
IDK where you got those stats from, but if you look at houses for sale on zillow or realtor, the average in Southport is definitely considerably higher prices for houses with less square feet even.
Realtor and Zillow.
Based on most recent sales, actual sales, not what’s sitting now.
With so little inventory these days one or two homes could make a diff

Old 05-13-2024, 04:41 AM

7,051 posts, read 3,826,553 times
Quote:
I am originally from Fairfield, and I personally would choose Fairfield over Norwalk to live in if price wasn't a factor. The main reason for that though is because Fairfield is more appealing to me personally.

In general I wouldn't call myself a city person for the most part, but there are certain cities that I wouldn't mind living in at all; in fact I'd love to live in some. Generally if the city is famous for certain great food, or any attractions / amenities that are special and not just ordinary for any city, I'd really enjoy living there.

For example cities I'd enjoy living in are: New Haven, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, Boston, Miami, London, Naples (Italy), Turin (Italy), Rome, Amsterdam, Paris, Indianapolis, Larnaca, and Reykjavik.

However, these are cities I probably would NOT enjoy living in as much: Hartford, Bridgeport, Danbury, Stamford, Norwalk, Dallas, Houston, Jacksonville, Atlanta, D.C., Pittsburgh, Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon, Charlotte, etc. Not that I'd hate to live in most of those places, but I'd probably prefer suburbs if I were to live in any of those areas. Although I would NEVER want to live in Pittsburgh or Atalanta regardless.

All in All, I could see myself living in Norwalk, but just wouldn't be a top choice for me, as it's a city with a lot of character, but there's nothing there that personally attracts me. Unlike New Haven, as the food, Yale, history, and architecture are very attractive to me in that city.
Norwalk is mostly suburban compared to larger CT cities let alone places like Naples and London, Lord almighty. It’s not comparable. Dan, are you sure you’re from CT? Lol
Except for you and Stylo. I think most would rather live in Norwalk over New Haven. In fact I’d bet the house on that one.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:07 AM

21,849 posts, read 28,227,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Norwalk is mostly suburban compared to larger CT cities let alone places like Naples and London, Lord almighty. It’s not comparable. Dan, are you sure you’re from CT? Lol
Except for you and Stylo. I think most would rather live in Norwalk over New Haven. In fact I’d bet the house on that one.
I’d probably choose Norwalk. But a stately house in East Rock or Prospect Hill would be nice.

I’d rather VISIT/eat in/etc. New Haven.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:16 AM

2,275 posts, read 1,677,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Steve, I know Norwalk is a lot smaller than some of those cities I mentioned. I was just talking about cities I'd enjoy living in vs others I would not. The cities I listed are all different sizes and totally different. Not comparing anything. The point I was trying to make is that while I wouldn't necessarily call myself a city person, there are some major cities I'd enjoy living in. Has nothing to do with the size of it.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:02 PM

35,061 posts, read 57,161,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I’ve always found Fairfield very industrial - GE was previously based there and there are a lot of smokestacks and factories in Fairfield near the Bpt line. I’m not from Norwalk - never lived there either. Stamford and Wilton only (excluding Florida).
Every coastline community along Metro North has had some factories. The line is too important to not have them.

I would not call Fairfield “industrial”. There were a couple factories along the railroad tracks by Black Rock Turnpike (Bullard Company), Grasmere Avenue (Handy & Harmen, McKesson’s), Mill Plain Road (DuPont) and Mill River (Excide) but away from the tracks it’s much different, mostly residential.

General Electric’s Corporate Headquarters was no where near the railroad tracks and has nothing to do with industrial land. Back in the early 70’s when corporations were looking to escape New York City for leafy green corporate campuses in the Connecticut suburbs, GE choose a 100 acre site on Easton Turnpike and the Merritt Parkway. It’s a residential area as were where most of the great corporate campuses were built. They were sold to towns as an isolated revenue generator that had little impact on the town.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Well Yes Fairfield is somewhat industrial; but not as much as Stamford. Stamford is probably the most industrial town in all of CT. Norwalk has fairly industrial too. Not sure about the comparison between Norwalk and Fairfield in that way, but it's probably pretty similar. A lot of Southern Fairfield County is very industrial and probably the most industrial area in the state.
No, Stamford wasn’t even close to that. Bridgeport without a doubt was the industrial capital of Connecticut, if not the country. Everything from appliances (GE, Remington Rand, Singer, Dictaphone) to clothing (Warner’s) to guns and ammunition (Remington Arms) were manufactured there.

New Haven, Hartford and Waterbury were also much more industrial than Stamford.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:43 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,677,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, Stamford wasn’t even close to that. Bridgeport without a doubt was the industrial capital of Connecticut, if not the country. Everything from appliances (GE, Remington Rand, Singer, Dictaphone) to clothing (Warner’s) to guns and ammunition (Remington Arms) were manufactured there.

New Haven, Hartford and Waterbury were also much more industrial than Stamford.
Doesn’t Stamford have the largest tech industry in the state though? I know that there are a lot of tech businesses and new offices from various companies there.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Doesn’t Stamford have the largest tech industry in the state though? I know that there are a lot of tech businesses and new offices from various companies there.
Yeah, but that came later. We are talking years ago.

Old 05-13-2024, 09:41 PM

41 posts, read 24,107 times
Groton vs Middletown

West Hartford vs Essex

Norwalk vs Branford

Kent vs East Lyme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut