Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2024, 02:12 PM

21,858 posts, read 28,234,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
For CT Beaches, it's Rocky Neck for me, which is why I'll probably be voting East Lyme all the way from here on out.
Best sand in the state, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 03:18 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,679,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
For CT Beaches, it's Rocky Neck for me, which is why I'll probably be voting East Lyme all the way from here on out.
I honestly LOVE East Lyme a lot as a town! It’s definitely in My Top 10:

In fact I believe these are probably my top 10 personal towns:

1. Guilford
2. New Haven
3. Milford
4. Stonington
5. Madison
6. Old Saybrook
7. Branford
8. East Lyme
9. Fairfield
10. Essex

In the summer season I’d probably switch Milford & New Haven, Madison & Stonington, and Branford & East Lyme. All around these are the order of my personal choices, but if it was warmer more often and more beach weather, I’d definitely do the switches I just mentioned above.

If New Haven vs Milford face off in this tournament, that’d probably be the hardest one for me. In the summer, I’d definitely choose Milford because of the great beaches, but probably would rather live in New Haven in the winter, and any season where it’s too cold to be enjoying the beach which is at least 50% of the year in CT. Also my favorite ice cream place Walnut Beach Creamery is closed during the winter which is what would put New Haven over Milford for me during the cooler months of the year.

Same with Stonington vs Madison. The Surf Club Beach is a huge draw to me for Madison, but in the cooler months where the beach can’t be enjoyed, I’d probably pick Stonington due to the borough, Mystic, and better restaurant options.

Old 05-14-2024, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Also my favorite ice cream place Walnut Beach Creamery is closed during the winter
The missus wanted ice cream two days in a row this week, so now we need a break.

We did Walnut Beach, then Rich Farm.

No comparison. Not even close. Not even in the same league. Walnut Beach ALL the way.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:29 PM

35,066 posts, read 57,178,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Ahh that explains it. I honestly was thinking of the more recent developments over the past 5-10 years!
There are not any new industrial buildings in Fairfield and the ones I mentioned have been demolished for different uses. The Bullard Company is now BJ’s and Fairfield Metro Center (now called Fairfield Black Rock). McKesson’s is now a Home Depot and Handy & Harmen is the Whole Foods shopping center. DuPont has been converted to various uses and Excide is becoming a mixed use development.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:32 PM

7,061 posts, read 3,831,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The missus wanted ice cream two days in a row this week, so now we need a break.

We did Walnut Beach, then Rich Farm.

No comparison. Not even close. Not even in the same league. Walnut Beach ALL the way.
Do they have chocolate? Save me a seat I’m comin’ over

Old 05-14-2024, 08:00 PM

996 posts, read 608,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Proud , there aren't any smokestacks in Milford or Norwalk. I didn't see where anyone said anything about smokestacks in Fairfield. The only one's I know of are the ones you see off the highway in Bridgeport.
They're are pristine salt marshes and a wildlife preserve at Harborview.
I never said anything about anywhere being more rural than aywhere else.

Good God Almighty peeps, can we do this without being so defensive and protective? Just say - Oh yeah that's great, thanks for the info" and let it be. Just accept palpable facts.
You Nutmeggars love CT to no end, but the internal competitiveness borders on insanity, sheer anger and contempt. It reminds me of San Diegans. They HATE LA like you would not believe, yet LA people just shrug it off like SD doesn't even exist.
People said they associated Fairfield with industry. Norwalk has one smokestack down by the water and Milford has one by the Housatonic River.

As for the scenic coastline part, I conceded Fairfield is island less (save for the light house). If islands make something scenic, then sure, Norwalk is more scenic. But I think Fairfield’s mix of sandy beaches and Southport is also quite nice. Also, those marshes in Milford aren’t accessible from the mainland. But I get that’s one small point. And I brought up the rural thing to show the diversity in landscapes in Fairfield.

Sorry that it came off competitively, it’s not meant to be.

Old 05-15-2024, 04:13 AM

7,061 posts, read 3,831,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
People said they associated Fairfield with industry. Norwalk has one smokestack down by the water and Milford has one by the Housatonic River.

As for the scenic coastline part, I conceded Fairfield is island less (save for the light house). If islands make something scenic, then sure, Norwalk is more scenic. But I think Fairfield’s mix of sandy beaches and Southport is also quite nice. Also, those marshes in Milford aren’t accessible from the mainland. But I get that’s one small point. And I brought up the rural thing to show the diversity in landscapes in Fairfield.

Sorry that it came off competitively, it’s not meant to be.
Ah yes, youre right, the Manresa plant is a smokelessstack out of commission for decades. It’s being demolished soon for eventual McMansion development. The large marshes and Harborview are near that plant, not in Milford.
For a simple day at the beach catching rays on a beach chair and going for a little dip at high tide, it’s hard to top Fairfield and Milford west of NH. There’s also great fluke fishing near Penfield light.

Have you seen the Bald Eagle pair and their nest up Southport harbor by that little bridge at Pequot?
And Parry’s Pond has a family of large barret owls hanging out eating squirrels. Walk in about 100 ft from the small dirt parking and look up to the right, can’t miss them.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Do they have chocolate? Save me a seat I’m comin’ over
We had Mad Molly which is chocolate based. I’m not huge on chocolate but dang was it good.

Old 05-15-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Also, those marshes in Milford aren’t accessible from the mainland
Huh? Are you talking about the Charles Wheeler area? You wouldn’t want to walk on that. You’d get stuck. But many views are absolutely accessible by mainland. I’ve walked that area many times.

There’s other scenic marsh areas to access too.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:03 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,679,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Huh? Are you talking about the Charles Wheeler area? You wouldn’t want to walk on that. You’d get stuck. But many views are absolutely accessible by mainland. I’ve walked that area many times.

There’s other scenic marsh areas to access too.
I've always been a bit curious on what that Charles E Wheeler Wildlife Area was all about. I've been past it a few times, and it looks interesting! Wasn't sure if you could walk on it though. It seemed that there were huge amounts of water in parts of the area if I'm remembering correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut