Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2024, 06:25 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,636,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Damn, can't believe I forgot to vote in round 3. Got too much to do tonight, but haven't even logged in here in about a week and totally forgot about this, d'oh! Hopefully I can get some time this weekend!
Sounds good man, No Worries! I’ll send messages for reminders likely either tomorrow or Friday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 08:54 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I got it almost immediately

Spoiler
Chester
Mmhmm. Same.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 Connecticut Town Tournament VI (Celebrating the 10-Year Anniversary & Dazzleman's Memorial)-img_5925.jpeg  

Old 03-28-2024, 12:34 AM

Default County Coefficients:

Hey All,
I just wanted to share with you all the Current County Coefficients that are based upon performances of each County in the past 4 tournaments as well as the individual county performances in each previous tournament:

Overall County Coefficient Ranks:
1. New Haven County
2. Fairfield County
3. Middlesex County
4. New London County
5. Litchfield County
6. Hartford County
7. Tolland County
8. Windham County

2022 Tournament County Ranks:
1. New Haven County
2. Middlesex County
3. New London County
4. Fairfield County
5. Litchfield County
6. Hartford County
7. Windham County
8. Tolland County

2020 Tournament County Ranks:
1. Fairfield County
2. New Haven County
3. Middlesex County
4. New London County
5. Hartford County
6. Litchfield County
7. Tolland County
8. Windham County

2018 Tournament County Ranks:
1. New Haven County
2. Litchfield County
3. Middlesex County
4. Fairfield County
5. Hartford County
6. New London County
7. Windham County
8. Tolland County

2016 Tournament County Ranks:
1. Fairfield County
2. New Haven County
3. Middlesex County
4. Hartford County
5. New London County
6. Litchfield County
7. Tolland County
8. Windham County

When looking at the whole analysis, this is what is happening:

1. New Haven County: Milford, New Haven, Guilford, and Madison are all Top 8 towns that always go pretty far. Branford is a tier 2 town that has been having improving performances almost every tournament, and is in the Top 16. Then you've got towns like: Southbury, Wallingford, Woodbridge, and Oxford which are like third tier towns and are not easy to beat at all. Outside of all that: Cheshire, Seymour, and Orange are also fairly decent towns that are pretty reliable to do decently. All this puts New Haven County at the Top!

2. Fairfield County: Fairfield is two time Champions. Westport is a second tier town that always makes Top 16. Norwalk has really been on the rise as well and is performing better every tournament. Greenwich and Ridgefield are towns that are a bit inconsistent but are generally pretty reliable and always expected to perform decently and make at least Round 4. Newtown generally tends to be a third tier town as well. The main thing that keeps Fairfield County really high is that there are really ZERO towns that exit early in Round 1. Sherman is the worst performing town of the county, and it usually at least makes Round 2. All towns in the county are not super easy to beat, and that makes it come in second place. The only thing that keeps the county below New Haven is that besides Fairfield, there are not any other towns that really go all the way or make it into the last 8.

3. Middlesex County: Middlesex County is getting better every tournament, especially when you look at the performances of the smaller towns. Old Saybrook has always been a Top 8 town and has consistently even made Top 4 most of the time. However, Essex and Middletown are on the huge rise and are performing better every tournament, especially the former. Then also Chester and Deep River are starting to become extremely tough towns to beat. I wouldn't be surprised if Chester even becomes a Top 20 town very soon. Similar to Fairfield County, there are not many towns in Middlesex County that get overlooked and usually, most will at least make the second round these days. Middlefield has been the worst performing town of the county, but even that town is getting better every tournament.

4. New London County: Stonington and East Lyme are the Top 2 towns in the county that are really carrying it, but towns like Old Lyme, Lyme, Waterford, Groton, and New London are performing considerably better every tournament, and are not easy towns to beat. Back in 2016, the smaller towns like: Preston, Bozrah, Voluntown, Franklin, Sprague, and Lebanon did terrible, but those towns are starting to get on the rise to slightly better performances. Colchester and Salem are mid-table towns in New London that are also on the rise and appear to be tougher towns to beat than they were earlier. In fact, the performance of Lyme is a story on its own. Lyme is just a very rural town without much, but for what the town is, it surprisingly performs extremely impressively. I wonder if that is do to the same name as Old Lyme and East Lyme or not, but seriously the performances of the town in the past 3 tournaments have been nothing short of impressive considering what the town has to offer.

5. Litchfield County: Litchfield is the highest performing Non-Coastal town in the whole tournament and is in the Top 8 Towns of all. Kent and Washington are second tier towns of Litchfield County, and their performances in the past tournaments have been really impressive, especially the former. Then you've got towns like Roxbury, Salisbury, and a few others in the area that are starting to get more and more well known and recognized and therefore performing better. Other than Plymouth, Winchester, and Torrington, none of the other towns in the county are easy to beat, and perform well against other small towns in the other counties. Even Torrington has made the second round a few times.

6. Hartford County: Now this county has really gone downhill in performances over the past tournaments. I'm not exactly sure why but West Hartford and Glastonbury have become the only towns that are real threats to other Top performing towns, and even those towns are NOT in the ELITE 8. Farmington and Simsbury are the other two towns in the county that are really tough to beat, but the rest are becoming easier to beat every tournament. Canton and Avon especially have become way easier to beat over the past tournaments. I think the other issue with Hartford County is that a lot of the other towns are kind of Meh and lack the charm that the smaller rural towns of Litchfield and Middlesex have. Hartford itself has been quite inconsistent, and I am unsure how that town will do in this tournament and future ones. A lot of Greater Hartford suburbs are starting to struggle more and more against the decent towns of Middlesex and Litchfield Counties and it is really hurting the coefficient of Hartford County.

7. Tolland County: Tolland has always been a much lower coefficient, and understandably so. It is a lot more rural and there is nothing inherently attractive about really any town in the county. The one thing that I believe puts it just above Windham County is UConn in Mansfield. Storrs is really what is carrying the county and bringing it above Windham.

8. Windham County: Not surprisingly the worst performing coefficient. The county is definitely growing and getting better in every tournament, but like Tolland, there is really nothing inherently attractive about any town in the county. Woodstock is definitely the best performing town in Windham County, followed by Pomfret and Thompson, but the gap is kind of huge. I think the problem with Windham County is that the main area of shopping and amenities: Willimantic is kind of a dump and quite rundown.

Note: I did not include any performances of this tournament yet in the coefficients as it is FAR from over, and we still have a long way to go to really tell. We'll see what happens and how the performances affect the County Coefficients!

Old 03-28-2024, 04:21 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,974,506 times
There's a definite bias towards the coastal towns that I don't understand. Who wants to pay twice the cost for housing just to sit in bumper to bumper traffic near some salty sludge on a daily basis?

Old 03-28-2024, 06:07 AM

837 posts, read 505,873 times
Bumper to bumper traffic? Are you serious? There is no bumper to bumper traffic in this state outside of FFC or Mystic in the summer. There is very little traffic anywhere on Shoreline East. Even in the summer, it's not bad. A few intersections in the small town might take an extra light cycle in the summer.

Salty sludge? This isn't 1975.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:53 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
There's a definite bias towards the coastal towns that I don't understand. Who wants to pay twice the cost for housing just to sit in bumper to bumper traffic near some salty sludge on a daily basis?
As much as I love the beach (but not the Sound), I agree. When I pick towns I often think, would I live here if I could? And as I get older, noise and traffic are the last thing I want to deal with in a place I live. If I pick one, it's because the town/city it's paired with is worse IMO. ie I always vote against the cities.

Bozrah vs Mystic - I pick Bozrah
New Haven vs Mystic - I pick Mystic - but truthfully I'd pick neither

Old 03-28-2024, 09:33 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:

Old 03-28-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
Bumper to bumper traffic? Are you serious? There is no bumper to bumper traffic in this state outside of FFC or Mystic in the summer. There is very little traffic anywhere on Shoreline East. Even in the summer, it's not bad. A few intersections in the small town might take an extra light cycle in the summer.

Salty sludge? This isn't 1975.
Totally Agree! There can be some bad traffic in Fairfield County, but I've never experienced any in Shoreline East until you get to the Mystic Area.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
As much as I love the beach (but not the Sound), I agree. When I pick towns I often think, would I live here if I could? And as I get older, noise and traffic are the last thing I want to deal with in a place I live. If I pick one, it's because the town/city it's paired with is worse IMO. ie I always vote against the cities.

Bozrah vs Mystic - I pick Bozrah
New Haven vs Mystic - I pick Mystic - but truthfully I'd pick neither
What is your take on towns like: Branford, Guilford, Madison, and Old Saybrook?

Old 03-28-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I don’t feel like Branford, Guilford, Madison, or Old Saybrook have bumper to bumper traffic. Also in those towns, if you get houses directly on the coast the price can be pretty expensive, but other areas like north of I-95 in those towns are a lot more affordable and comparable to the upscale non-coastal suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut