Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 AM

54 posts, read 138,358 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to CT this summer and are not familiar with the area. Since we are stepping in to new territory my husband and I are wondering what politics are like in CT. Are they as dirty as they are in NJ where I am originally from? Is the liberal attitude similar to the pacific northwest where we currently live? I have heard that CT is a very traditional state and we are a traditional family but we would enjoy it if our neighbors are open-minded. What are the politics like in Oxford and the surrounding area?

Thanks again guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 AM

24 posts, read 105,139 times
We've just been veering in and out of political discussions on the Connecticut stereotypes thread so you may want to check that out. JViello had some interesting insights about the influencing factors of present day Connecticut politics. They're not always in line with my own views but thats what makes politics tedious and exhausting er, I mean interesting, no?

My take is that CT in general is pretty much exactly what you are looking for. That is, fairly traditional yet open minded and accepting. People generally appreciate being allowed to live their lives as they choose. You can find pockets of prejudice and bigotry anywhere, including CT, but for the most part we are an accepting bunch. Oxford is somewhat rural and tends to be more conservative than areas closer to New Haven.

Good luck with your move and welcome to Connecticut!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:57 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Connecticut has politics that basically are as polarized as what exists in Washington.

We have a dumb bimbo as Governor, and equally clueless Legislature (of opposite parties)
Who play political chicken. They sadly look out for their interests, and not of the people who elected them. They accomplish little.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:35 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Connecticut has had a lot of corruption like NJ. Our former Governor was convicted of accepting bribes and the mayors of two of our largest cities have been convicted of crimes. The former Gov has served his time and is now working for the City of Waterbury/Chamber of Commerce as the city's Ecomonic Development Director.

The current Governor and legislature are reactionaries who fail to see do anything until they have to. Their main interest is to get re-elected and not do what is best for the state. This means change is very slow. Fortunately the state has not suffered from this yet, but the times are changing. Jay

Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Connecticut has politics that basically are as polarized as what exists in Washington.

We have a dumb bimbo as Governor, and equally clueless Legislature (of opposite parties)
Who play political chicken. They sadly look out for their interests, and not of the people who elected them. They accomplish little.
Is she a lot like this Governor?

YouTube - Charles Durning in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

Old 06-05-2008, 01:16 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,538 times
Recent news out of Corrupticut:

Quote:
The 98-count indictment described Galante as a man who ran an illegal enterprise by carving up the garbage business in western Connecticut and Putnam County and using mob muscle to strong-arm any competitors who might get in his way.

Among those also arrested as a result of the investigation were former Waterbury Mayor Joseph Santopietro, former federal Drug Enforcement Agent Louis Angioletti, several of Galante's underlings, his accountant William Raynor and former Danbury Trashers hockey coach H. Todd Stirling.

The investigation also led to state charges against state Sen. Louis DeLuca, who pleaded guilty to conspiring with Galante to threaten the husband of DeLuca's granddaughter, a misdemeanor. DeLuca believed the husband was abusing the granddaughter.

DeLuca eventually resigned from the Senate.

The racketeering charges against Galante included an attempt to fix a bid for a garbage transfer station contract and tampering with potential witnesses by trying to coach them on how to answer questions before a grand jury.
Galante Admits Guilt; His Trash Empire Crumbles -- Courant.com

Old 06-05-2008, 03:20 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Connecticut, similar to NJ, is a very politically corrupt state. As previously mentioned, there are many who have held high profile positions (mayors, governors, etc) who have ties with the mob as well as mismanage funds for their own personal gain. It happens in CT's largest cities, but it also happens often in the small towns. There are many political bullies in CT.

Aside from that, you should fit in pretty well in CT. Most people here are rather traditional but socially liberal. It's not that most people here are pro-gay marriage, pro-choice or anti-religion. Most just don't care who you choose to spend your life with, what you do when you're pregnant or which religion you belong to. To each their own, is how people here think. As long as you don't directly affect their daily life, they are content. The only thing I hear folks here mention often is their opposition to the war. I think the vast majority in CT have been questioning the tactics of the Bush administration long before the rest of the country caught on.

As for Oxford - it is a pretty fiscally conservative and traditional town. I believe many there are like much of CT...live and let live. There are many more registered Republicans in the town than Democrats, similar to much of southwest CT.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 PM

54 posts, read 138,358 times
Thank you...that is what I thought. It is a shame that CT has dirty politics. In such a ritzy state this shouldn't be tolerated.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeek2309 View Post
Thank you...that is what I thought. It is a shame that CT has dirty politics. In such a ritzy state this shouldn't be tolerated.
For the most part, where the corruption has occurred is not "ritzy." The previous governor was the exception.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:30 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post

Good post - sounds like politics everywhere though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut