Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:42 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,855,675 times

Advertisements

I get a growing feeling that Lamont is not going to run again. He just had grandkids and frankly in your early 70's you want to maximize the quality time. Not saying he's doing a bad job mind you but the kids are only kids for so long.

Well what if it was a few mayors that ran? I'm thinking it would be interesting if it was New Britain vs New haven.

Erin Stewart has recently won awards and New Haven is booming. Bob I don't think could run again either because he'd just look bad. Of course Bronin could make it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:55 PM

2,500 posts, read 4,738,396 times
Erin Stewart is the first person who comes to mind in the next gubernatorial race. Lamont will probably run for a 3rd term, and though he won handily in 2022, it will be a different ballgame compared this time around compared to last time. It would be a really interesting race if it's Stewart vs. Lamont in 2026. If she ran on a moderate stance, as she currently does, many people would no qualms about voting for her, and I think she would win. Generally, Republican governors in blue states and Democratic governors in red states have been performing well, and they've enjoyed high approval ratings, mostly because they're moderates and defy the stereotypes and clichés of their parties.

Old Today, 02:33 PM

35,086 posts, read 57,206,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Erin Stewart is the first person who comes to mind in the next gubernatorial race. Lamont will probably run for a 3rd term, and though he won handily in 2022, it will be a different ballgame compared this time around compared to last time. It would be a really interesting race if it's Stewart vs. Lamont in 2026. If she ran on a moderate stance, as she currently does, many people would no qualms about voting for her, and I think she would win. Generally, Republican governors in blue states and Democratic governors in red states have been performing well, and they've enjoyed high approval ratings, mostly because they're moderates and defy the stereotypes and clichés of their parties.
I’m not sure Erin Stewart would run quite yet. She’s young (37) with two young children (4 years old and 7 months). Plus she is a moderate and unfortunately today’s Republican Party doesn’t tolerate moderation on any major issues. Still she’d be great. She could certainly give Lamont a run for his money.

I do think Lamont will run again. Unless something drastic changes, he will be the Democrats No. 1 candidate. I think Luke Bronin likely would be next.

I can’t see New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker being chosen. He’s very liberal and New Haven has been booming long before he was Mayor. Maybe former Mayor John DeStefano. He was New Haven’s longest serving mayor. Will see.

Old Today, 03:02 PM

1,349 posts, read 2,642,696 times
Luke Bronin is ambitious and I could see him running. He has every qualification on the checklist of the traditional political pedigree. If not governor, then senator.

Old Today, 03:07 PM

2,500 posts, read 4,738,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m not sure Erin Stewart would run quite yet. She’s young (37) with two young children (4 years old and 7 months). Plus she is a moderate and unfortunately today’s Republican Party doesn’t tolerate moderation on any major issues. Still she’d be great. She could certainly give Lamont a run for his money.

I do think Lamont will run again. Unless something drastic changes, he will be the Democrats No. 1 candidate. I think Luke Bronin likely would be next.
They sailed to victories in VT, MA & MD. Moderate Republicans do well in blue states, and it's largely because they attract unaffiliated voters (like myself) and even many Democrats who lean liberal on social issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT
I can’t see New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker being chosen. He’s very liberal and New Haven has been booming long before he was Mayor. Maybe former Mayor John DeStefano. He was New Haven’s longest serving mayor. Will see.
I would never vote for Elicker. He's from that wing of the progressive party that loves diversity except diversity of opinion. On a number of issues, when he's met by critics, his response is to call them racist, classist, sexist, etc. The "ist" game, as I call it, has run its course, and I'm done with lawmakers and people who indulge in this. He's kept the momentum going in New Haven, which is commendable, but there's no way I'd ever vote for him as governor.

Old Today, 03:11 PM

21,671 posts, read 31,337,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
They sailed to victories in VT, MA & MD. Moderate Republicans do well in blue states, and it's largely because they attract unaffiliated voters (like myself) and even many Democrats who lean liberal on social issues.

I would never vote for Elicker. He's from that wing of the progressive party that loves diversity except diversity of opinion. On a number of issues, when he's met by critics, his response is to call them racist, classist, sexist, etc. The "ist" game, as I call it, has run its course, and I'm done with lawmakers and people who indulge in this. He's kept the momentum going in New Haven, which is commendable, but there's no way I'd ever vote for him as governor.
Couldn’t have said this better myself.

Old Today, 04:56 PM

7,090 posts, read 3,848,766 times
Lamont in a rout
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut