Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,596 times

Advertisements

I am new to CT. My husband and I bought a home in lower Easton. I frequent this forum often to learn more about the State, but this is my first post. I got the idea to ask for help on this after reading a similar thread, but about a different location.
My husband is in the military and while we love Easton so far, this is the first time in over 12 years that we are not located in an "army town" ( the type that caters to military families ) so this is a big change. We have health insurance through the army, but we can't find many providers who will accept it. My husband and I aren't so concerned about us as we are for our two kids. The closest pediatricians we found, who take our insurance, are in Bridgeport. But everything I've read on here about Bridgeport makes me a little fearful to take my kids there. Is it really so bad? To the point where I should fear taking my kids there to see a Doctor? Does anybody know of any providers in the area who will take Tricare? Are there any pediatricians/locations in Bridgeport that I should completely avoid? I've driven into Bridgeport a few times to the stop n shop on Madison ave. It isn't far from my home at all and It didn't seem so bad, but I'm sure you all would know more than I would.
Please help us out. I would really love to hear from any parents who take there kids to Bridgeport to see a doctor and get their recommendations, but any input would help.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 AM

31 posts, read 144,426 times
Welcome to CT and Congratulations on your new home. Easton is a beautiful town.

I'm from Bridgeport. I received medical care here growing up and now I'm a mom and I take my daughter to the same doctor I had as a kid. So, I hope I can help. With that said. No, It's not so "bad" and you should not fear taking you children to receive their medical care here. Easton is a lovely (rural) town, but as I'm sure you've already found out, you will have to venture out to do things like most of your shopping, and for medical reasons including hospital visits.
I can totally relate to your story. I served in the army and I know what you mean about CT not really "catering" to the military. I left the army when I was pregnant with my daughter and I still had Tricare when I first came home. I was at the end of my pregnancy and I couldn't find a local doctor through tricare's webpage who was willing to take me. It was complete hell. What I did , and you might want to consider trying, is I found a doctor that I liked (but who wasn't listed on the tricare site) and I contacted him and told him my story. What I found was that this area doesn't have many tricare providers not because the doctors aren't willing to accept tricare payment, but simply because there isn't a demand here for them to do so . There aren't really many active-duty military members in Fairfield county. My doctor decided to open himself up to tricare and he took me on as his patient proving that maybe CT would be willing to cater to us ::winks::.
I recommend you try to find a doctor who you feel comfortable with, tell your story, and maybe you will find the same luck and have them open up to tricare.
My daughter's doctor is in Bridgeport and we love him. A plus about having a Doctor in Bridgeport is that they are close to the hospitals (st Vincents or Bridgeport Hospital) should your child needed urgent care.
Good Luck

Old 06-06-2008, 06:08 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,842,240 times
When my teenagers were much younger, we used Monroe Pediatrics, and those same doctors have a practice in other towns such as Bridgeport. Most of the pediatricians in Bridgeport also have offices in surrounding towns. We eventually changed practices, because our favorite doctors there left for one reason or another. We use Canterbury pediatrics in Monroe now. I have no idea which doctors remain in that Monroe/Bridgeport practice we previously used, I think only Dr. Juan Trujillo remains. We did have to drive down to the Bridgeport office one Sunday because the Monroe office was closed, but it wasn't a bad part of town. I can't remember the exact location, but it was off exit 47 in Easton, so it wouldn't be far from you. If the Bridgeport location bothers you though, you could use their Monroe office instead. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:50 AM

34,687 posts, read 56,465,514 times
Believe me, Bridgeport isn't nearly as bad as it is painted. The North End (which is where the Madison Avenue Stop & Shop) is very nice middle-class suburban neighborhood. Venture over to North Main Street and you will find many wonderful stores, restaurants and businesses to serve you. There are many doctors in this area and it is very safe.

St. Vincent's Hospital and Bridgeport Hospital are both excellent as well. They are very highly regarded in the medical community. Both are located in safe areas, but note that you should not venture to far from Bridgeport Hospital or Boston Avenue (Route 1) because you could end up in a problem area. This area though is not bad during the day. Jay

Old 06-06-2008, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,596 times
thank all of you. I found a practice on Main st in the north end 5 minutes from our home.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,730 times
Default Pediatrician - Tricare

Hi -
We live in Fairfield and my daughter just had a baby Monday night 7/7/08. Her husband is a Marine (in Afghanistan at the moment). Could you advise the the Dr. names you have that do accept Tricare?? It is OK if they are in Brigdgeport or Fairfield.
Much thanks, Andrew

Old 12-09-2008, 06:57 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,771,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyL2124 View Post
thank all of you. I found a practice on Main st in the north end 5 minutes from our home.
It's probably in Commerce Park. There are many, many medical providers there. Commerce Park is safe, i wouldn't(and don't) hesitate to go there.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:06 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,771,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Believe me, Bridgeport isn't nearly as bad as it is painted. The North End (which is where the Madison Avenue Stop & Shop) is very nice middle-class suburban neighborhood. Venture over to North Main Street and you will find many wonderful stores, restaurants and businesses to serve you. There are many doctors in this area and it is very safe.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
St. Vincent's Hospital and Bridgeport Hospital are both excellent as well. Both are located in safe areas, but note that you should not venture to far from Bridgeport Hospital
I have to disagree with describing Bridgeport Hospital as being in a safe area. I would recommend that visitors park in the garage, and use the enclosed walkway leading from the garage, to the hospital lobby. I don't recommend stepping foot on to Grant Street, Mill Hill, or Central Avenue. JMHO.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:42 PM

21,546 posts, read 30,960,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Agreed.

I have to disagree with describing Bridgeport Hospital as being in a safe area. I would recommend that visitors park in the garage, and use the enclosed walkway leading from the garage, to the hospital lobby. I don't recommend stepping foot on to Grant Street, Mill Hill, or Central Avenue. JMHO.
Agreed, fully. That is probably the reason BPT Hospital has the highest amount of security guards per beds in the state, and a ton of surveillance/security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut