Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 PM

139 posts, read 617,719 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just referred someone to an agent in CT. The client asked if I knew any of the following re: CT laws/rules--
Her husband works in dept of corrections and doesn't want any felons or their families finding out where he is living.
1. Can she have only her name on the deed and "will" the property to her husband? (husband earns more, better credit--he would be on the mortgage).
2. Or can she use her maiden name even though she does not currently use it and hasn't for 10 yrs?
3. Also, is it a CT standard to have the names/public record of the home purchase printed in the newspaper? (is there a way around it?).

I told them I would ask around and I emailed the CT agent. I also gave them the name of a real estate attorney I know and suggested they contact her, but I also figured I would ask anyone in the biz on this forum that may have had an experience with this type of situation.

Thanks for your help! Enjoy what is left of the weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 08:40 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieproductions View Post
Hi, I just referred someone to an agent in CT. The client asked if I knew any of the following re: CT laws/rules
She/they should consult an attorney. I know that celebrities have made offers on properties under the name "anonymous."

As for publication in the paper, most town clerks forward this information to their local paper. The attorney could explain the nature of the transaction and ask that it be withheld.

Lastly, they could always do a quit claim removing his name as one of the owners of record.

Again, consult an attorney...

Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
"1. Can she have only her name on the deed and "will" the property to her husband? (husband earns more, better credit--he would be on the mortgage)."

The mortgage info is likely to be printed in a publication called The Commercial Record. This publication also lists all property transfers recorded in the state.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:30 AM

139 posts, read 617,719 times
Thank you both Rich Lee & Stratford CT Resident for your insight and help. I did give them an attorney's number and told them I had not dealt with this before and didn't want to give them the wrong info. Have a nice day!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:50 PM

95 posts, read 447,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieproductions View Post
Hi, I just referred someone to an agent in CT. The client asked if I knew any of the following re: CT laws/rules--
Her husband works in dept of corrections and doesn't want any felons or their families finding out where he is living.
1. Can she have only her name on the deed and "will" the property to her husband? (husband earns more, better credit--he would be on the mortgage).
2. Or can she use her maiden name even though she does not currently use it and hasn't for 10 yrs?
3. Also, is it a CT standard to have the names/public record of the home purchase printed in the newspaper? (is there a way around it?).

I told them I would ask around and I emailed the CT agent. I also gave them the name of a real estate attorney I know and suggested they contact her, but I also figured I would ask anyone in the biz on this forum that may have had an experience with this type of situation.

Thanks for your help! Enjoy what is left of the weekend!
One idea would be to form an LLC and buy the property under that entity.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:45 PM

136 posts, read 763,490 times
This past weekend we talked with my brother/sister in laws who live in Binghamton,NY and they also mentioned that when they bought their house their names were printed in the local paper along with all the info: how much they paid, mortgage info, etc.

To me, coming from Canada this is unbelievable. Whatever happened to privacy laws if you have any in this country? Even the info on who bought which property at what price is only available to registered realtors in Canada.

Does every town in CT publishes this info in their local paper? I currently live in Avon and I have not noticed anything of this nature in the local paper .

Old 06-08-2008, 05:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckexpat View Post
This past weekend we talked with my brother/sister in laws who live in Binghamton,NY and they also mentioned that when they bought their house their names were printed in the local paper along with all the info: how much they paid, mortgage info, etc.

To me, coming from Canada this is unbelievable. Whatever happened to privacy laws if you have any in this country? Even the info on who bought which property at what price is only available to registered realtors in Canada.

Does every town in CT publishes this info in their local paper? I currently live in Avon and I have not noticed anything of this nature in the local paper .
It depends on the newspaper. Most newspapers in Ct. do publish property transfers. The other stuff; mortgage, lis pendens, permits, etc. can be found in The Commercial Record and to a much lesser degree, The Fairfield County Business Journal. As far as privacy goes, i think most people primarily go the trustee route and to a lesser degree, the LLC route.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 PM

136 posts, read 763,490 times
Stafford CT resident, can you explain to me how the trustee route works in real estate transactions if you are familiar with it?

Btw, is there an online link to the CT Commercial Record that I can see what and how they disclose this private info?

Last edited by canuckexpat; 06-08-2008 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: added text

Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckexpat View Post
The Freedom of Information act supersedes privacy laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut