Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Connecticut: great schools, diversity, affordable, downtown, townhome.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:16 PM

142 posts, read 811,368 times

Advertisements

Be sure to check out Fairfield. Great beaches, university, diversity...the list goes on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 01:28 PM

181 posts, read 906,027 times
I was also going to suggest Fairfield. Nice downtown, community theater, parks, and on the Long Island Sound!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
I agree, Fairfield sounds like a good fit. And the schools are not just great, they are excellent. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:26 PM

32 posts, read 111,208 times
Hi Coastal,
I am actually originally from CT - born and raised there but have been in rural Texas for several years now. It is very different from CT in many ways. To be honest, CT is a very lovely place to live in many areas but it also has its share of issues, just like anywhere else. I am going to name a few things about CT that I am not wild about - this is not to dissuade you from coming because I feel it would be a great place for your family. I just want to give you the "other" perspective as well so you are getting unbiased feedback.

1. Weather - The winters are chilly. Not as bad as more northern or further inland locations but certainly much more difficult than Austin. The spring and fall can be raw with wind and rain and it usually takes a while to really start to warm up in the spring. Of course there are exceptions like Indian Summer but I'm making a general observation. Oh and summers are humid - have good air conditioning.

2. Density - Southern CT is becoming more crowded. The area was founded in the 1600s so once the original streets are in it is hard to really change them much. You will likely feel more "cramped" than in Texas where things are wide open and sprawling. If this bothers you, look at areas further away from the coastline. If you really want rural (which I don't think you do) look in Tolland, Windham, and Litchfield counties.

3. Cost - The cost of living in most of CT is very high. Fairfield county is the most costly area of the state. Gas is over $4 per gallon and a "starter" home in the wealthy suburbs could cost over $600K. In the cities it will be a little lower. You will see 3 bedroom capes in Darien and Wilton priced near 700K.

4. Attitudes - CT is much more liberal than TX and depending on your perspective this can be either a good thing or a bad thing. I am liberal so I felt more comfortable with that in CT. Compared to "most" of Texas, people in CT TEND to be more focused on materialism and status. (OK OK, don't everyone jump all over and start telling me not to generalize. I'm painting a broad brush picture here and focusing on my experiences after 20 years living there - of course there are many many exceptions).

As you can see, not a long list. I hope this helps!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:34 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
The median price for a single family home in greater Hartford is currently under 250K. Over here in Tolland county a new 2000 square foot home on 1-2 acres can be had for 300K.

Median home prices Texas and CT from the NAR 1st quarter 2008
Austin 185K
Dallas Ft. Worth 142K
Hartford 247K
Houston 148K
San Antonio 150K
New Haven 255K
Bridgeport, Norwalk, Stamford 439K

California
San Francisco 702K
San Jose/ Sunnyvale 780K
Los Angeles 459k
San Diego 459K

Boston 360K
Seattle 372K

Weather wise I have to disagree with TX above- Connecticut actually has a moderate mid latitude climate, modified by the nearby ocean. Coastal and eastern CT tend to be milder then western CT. Autumns here are in fact not raw- the period from mid to late August to Thanksgiving is sublime, with warm weather slowly cascading from 80s in late August, to 70s in September, to 60's in October, to 50s in November. Autumns here are milder then 30 years ago. For instance, 30 years ago the trees where mostly bare of leaves by November 1st, now by Thanksgiving many trees still have colored leaves hanging.

70 degree weather in late October and early November is not uncommon.

Springs tend to be late in coming because of the still chilled waters of the nearby Atlantic- just the opposite of the Autumn where the nearby Ocean is still warm, which retards the onset of winter. Also Summers can be humid, but nothing compared to eastern Texas- or even Austin, Dallas, San Antonio or Houston.

As far as the assertion that people in Connecticut are materialistic. I have been to Dallas, Austin, and Houston, and I have met folks that where hardly lacking in confidence or subtlety. In swanky Fairfield county, a old dirty Volvo will garner more respect then a hummer and huge SUV. Here in Eastern CT- materialism? It essentially does not exist.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-13-2008 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-13-2008, 06:09 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Branford, Guilford are possibilities. Personally I like a little less snobby environment and wouldn't mind West Haven, Orange, or Milford because they aren't far from New Haven, there's plenty of restaurants, unique small shops, etc. Milford is very affordable and has a great little beach area near Silver Sands State Park. You can also hop into Bridgeport which will be an upper and comer IMHO on the next upcycle in RE as more young professionals move in to take advantage of its proximity to NYC and recognize its excellent shoreline possibilities.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:57 PM

53 posts, read 135,928 times
Interesting debate, folks. Thanks for sharing your very honest views and very informative data with us.

About the weather, I grew up at a place where the temp was always between 40 to 65, so I'm ok with the cold. I love the snow, although shoveling it out everyday might be something else, I bet. My husband hates the heat. He just can't stand it! (he moved here for me ~love? pressure? a mix of both? ~ since I wanted to be closer to family in TX... yes, now I feel guilty.) Austin can be humid too during the summer, so I guess as long as the summer is not more than 4 months long and below the triple digit mark, we're good.

Density, we lived in the East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley) and it was pretty dense. That's a plus of living in Austin, though. Traffic can be bad, but our daily work-school-home routes are a breeze compared to the Bay Area.

Cost, yes, that's a concern, but we're ready to downsize. We're tired of taking care of the lawn and such!!!

and finally... attitudes! Austin is like an oasis in Texas thanks to its (generally) liberal views. So in that way, it was easy to move here from the Bay Area. About materialism and status: I think you can't run away from that, especially when living in a somewhat affluent area. True, I've seen more SUVs and pickup trucks in the little time I've been here in TX than in the 10 years I spent in CA, but I don't think people are more or less materialistic here than there. The symbols of status change, that's all: a yoga mat here is what big hair and jewelry means somewhere else. It's all about image and fitting, I guess. Having said that, Austin is definitely very laid back, and we like that. We don't feel the pressure we felt in the Bay Area to always be up to date with arts, world politics and haute cuisine (not that we minded too much, though!!! ), but still... the heat and not having the ocean nearby is proving to be too much for my husband... I think it's my turn to yield... again, not that I mind too much.

Thanks guys. What a fun read, I've learned so much and you're so generous with your suggestions!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:13 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Dear Coastal

We are only all happy to oblige your quest for information. Our CT forum is one of the best- and everyone is well informed.

Austin is a cool city- but the Texas heat would be too much for me as well. I myself have downsized and decided to eschew 'materialism' simply because keeping up with the Joneses is stressful and costly.

Connecticut offers sophistication if you want it- but without the Bay area preoccupation with it. It is laid back here for the most part-especially as you go further from Fairfield county.

Best of lucky, and welcome- to whatever town you decide on~!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:03 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
You may want to take a look in NJ. There are some gorgeous places; and diversity is a bit more of the norm. Maplewood/South Orange is a great area as is Montclair. THe prices are a bit more affordable, but the taxes may be a bit higher.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:19 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Default Live in Austin.. My Dream Community: Rural CT

I am a displaced Nutmegger in Austin, TX. I will be leaving in a year to return home in a year. It's funny, because I take the polar opposite position as those stated on weather, the people, open space and materialism.

Weather is entirely personal preference. After over 15 years of four months of 100 degree heat, I am ready for a more mild summer. I happen to enjoy the snow. Nothing like an unexpected day off... Yes with snow comes its hassles, but, the picturesque fall, and mild spring and summer more than make up for the long coolish winter.

Open Space: Here in Austin, generally, people live on very small lots. A zero lot line is very common. Also, while the architecture (if you can call it that) is on the newer side (especially in the suburbs), it lacks the interest, diversity and quality of the housing up north. If you've ever driven in northern Connecticut, you know that Conecticut rivals any state on open space and beauty.

Materialism: It's everywhere. Get over it. There are people who are materialistic and there are people who aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut