Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 AM

44 posts, read 153,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
For 80s memories, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the removal of the Toll Booths from the Merritt Parkway.
That was a great day. But I'm even happier that they've removed the horrifying metal decking on the Sikorsky bridge!

Thanks for reminding me about Arnie's (and the USA/USSR chexx hockey game) -- lots of money was happily wasted there, and at the nearby DQ. As for other random, but happy, memories:
1) fresh bagels from Bagel King in Norwalk. Best ever.
2) Art's Deli in Westport -- the largest, most amazing sandwiches I've ever had.
3) Hanging out late into the night at greek diners because we were too young to go to bars (Athena, Fairfield, was a favorite).
4) Sneaking into the Nike site next to Staples High, often during class... that's all I'll say about that.

Lots more, but I'm kind of depressed now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 09:26 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acipenser View Post
That was a great day. But I'm even happier that they've removed the horrifying metal decking on the Sikorsky bridge!

Thanks for reminding me about Arnie's (and the USA/USSR chexx hockey game) -- lots of money was happily wasted there, and at the nearby DQ. As for other random, but happy, memories:
1) fresh bagels from Bagel King in Norwalk. Best ever.
2) Art's Deli in Westport -- the largest, most amazing sandwiches I've ever had.
3) Hanging out late into the night at greek diners because we were too young to go to bars (Athena, Fairfield, was a favorite).
4) Sneaking into the Nike site next to Staples High, often during class... that's all I'll say about that.

Lots more, but I'm kind of depressed now...
Driving on the metal Sikorsky bridge in the snow was terrifying! It always felt like everyone was a few inches away from hitting the guardrail. Seeing down to the water was also very scary.

Bagel King bagels in Bridgeport and Fairfield are still delicious and their humongous chocolate chip cookies are to die for!

Old 02-03-2015, 04:35 AM

2 posts, read 9,093 times
Default Bar in brookside shopping center pre tumbleweeds

By any chance was it called washburns bar and grill or something like that?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:24 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,645 times
I remember going to Gold's deli in downtown Bridgeport and getting a burger, coke and fries for about $1.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:57 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,171 times
The Dialtone bar/club in Norwalk. If you don't remember it, it was a pickup joint/meat market where every table had a phone. And if you wanted to meet a potential dance partner, you called their table.

The sad news of the Shaboo Inn burning down in 1982. More great acts passed through that dump in its brief 11 year history than anywhere in CT.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:59 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
I remember Gold's in downtown Bridgeport. I think it was on Middle Street near John Street.

I also remember Dailtone. It was a strange place. There were telephones on the table with numbers so you could call from one table to the other. Kind of a neat gimmick at the time. Wasn't there one up in Danbury or Brewster, NY too? I seem to remember going to one or two up in that area before the Norwalk one opened. Jay

Old 02-03-2015, 07:54 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I remember Gold's in downtown Bridgeport. I think it was on Middle Street near John Street.

I also remember Dailtone. It was a strange place. There were telephones on the table with numbers so you could call from one table to the other. Kind of a neat gimmick at the time. Wasn't there one up in Danbury or Brewster, NY too? I seem to remember going to one or two up in that area before the Norwalk one opened. Jay
Jay, do you remember if you made a phone call (from home) if you got a busy signal you could speak in between the signals to someone else who also was calling someone and had a busy signal? FYI they built a MacDonalds after Golds left.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 AM

123 posts, read 551,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Wow! Brown and Thompson's. I completely forgot about that place. Went there for my 18th birthday and got blasted.

I should also add Hot Tomatoes in Hartford. At that time it was owned by John Guerrero, the former head chef of my families now defunct restaurant in Simsbury called Chapter XI. Excellent Italian food when John and his brother Tom ran the place.
Glad to see this 6 year old thread is still going! Just to clarify my previous "memory" vote for B.T.'s = Brown Thompson, like other. what a fun place down town. Anyone one know when it closed or what it's become?

Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,221 times
This is about as far as my memory can go (really early 90's). I'm 28 now so I missed the 80's almost entirely. (Specifically the Funcoland in Milford, CT next to the Hometown Buffet)

Old 02-03-2015, 12:22 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLookingToo View Post
Glad to see this 6 year old thread is still going! Just to clarify my previous "memory" vote for B.T.'s = Brown Thompson, like other. what a fun place down town. Anyone one know when it closed or what it's become?
it's City Steam now i believe (or was). in fact the 'emblem' in the wall reading B&T is still there. but there were 2 others i think - one in W Hartford across from the mall and the second i don't remember where it was.

here's an article i found. looks like they closed around 1997..

BTs

Last edited by Slipperman; 02-03-2015 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut