Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,526 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I am considering moving (buying a home) to Rockville but am concerned of the stories I have heard, such as it being Crack central. I have 3 young children (8yrs to 12yrs). Can anyone tell me about this town? I looked up the school rating for the district we would be moving to, Maple street Elementary, and it was rated at 31 (o-1oo(best). Should I reconsider???????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 09:57 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
I live in 'Rockville' the historic district- which is part of the town of Vernon.
Vernon has a low crime rate, well below the national average. I live a few hundred feet from Maplewood elementary- A quiet peaceful location, the local neighborhood is non threatening- the school has a nice staff-in a nice historic building. Direct message me for more info.

Vernon, population 30K is an old New England mill town- it as some very nice areas, and some a bit faded and run down, especially near 'Rockville' center. But Rockville center itself has some historic churches- and some finely restored Victorians. The town has great parks, Senior citizen support, and a proactive Mayor and city counsel.

Vernon has some great restaurants, decent shopping- and a low key lifestyle. I would not be apprehensive about living in Vernon.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-15-2008 at 04:23 PM..

Old 06-15-2008, 10:44 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Default Moving back to CT

I will be moving back to CT from Austin, Texas (Don't believe the hype... Austin is not the panacea that you have heard of) in a year. My brother and his wife live in Enfield, and I am strongly considering Vernon. I am a gay male with no kids, so the schools aren't much of a concern. It seems like that Vernon/Rockville gives good bang for the buck as far as apartments? Is this truly the case?

Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Vernon rental prices vary- the most upscale place in town The Mansions At Hockanum Crossing are very pleasant, set high in the hills- prices start at $975

There are other places in town off West Street that are quiet and nice for less. Nearby Ellington has some nice apartments in a semi rural location that are reasonably priced.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:50 PM

127 posts, read 521,098 times
I lived in Rockville for a few years when I was growing up and never thought anything bad about the area. I went to Skinner Road School (in the late 80's), not sure why but prob due to districting as it's the not the closest elementary school. In any event, I lived on Lawrence street and Ellington Avenue and both were/are nice peaceful areas with beautifully restored homes. It was a nice place to grow up and despite some people's negative thoughts on the area, it really has a small town down home kind of feel. I an go back to Rockville and still connect with some of the people I grew up with. My parents still live in that area albeit in Ellington but I am sure you could grow to like Rockville/Vernon. Plus it's very convenient for that part of CT - close to highways and Buckland Hills.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:07 PM

92 posts, read 455,601 times
I've lived in Vernon pretty much all my life.
Raised 2 sons here, no problems.

I feel safe here & you can't beat the location
to everything! Hospital, library, shopping, highway, mall,
strawberry & apple picking in Ellington!
It's a great area to raise a family..people are nice, friendly.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut