Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:30 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Well Wavehunter

my two windmill palms are growing quickly, putting out new fan leaves- even here in Vernon now its technically a zone 7- since the temperture has not dropped below 0 the last 2 winters. My garden certainly looks 'temperate'.

I feel as a gardener who takes risks, the lowest absolute temperture is not as important as the duration of cold.
My Giant Sequoia is growing splendidly- has survived three winters now.

Trachycarpus wagnerianus (Stiff leafed windmill palm or 'Wagner's Palm' ) in garden yesterday
Attachment 21664
Wow

You have got a decent truck there! It’s is starting look like a real palm tree. Mine still looks more like a shrub. Three quick questions 1) do you fertilize? 2) How often? 3) Liquid or granular. I fertilized very sparingly, I have been afraid to burn it.

As far as Vernon’s Zone, it would not surprised me at all that you may average out in zone 7. Vernon is really more central than northern Connecticut, the line is only 30 miles or so south. As you can see by the map above, pretty much the four south counties are zones 7. That was my point to some of the others above – sub zero…..even single digit temps… in Connecticut are a rare thing. They do happen sometimes several times in a unusually cold/severe winter, but they are not the norm. I have met several people from upper Midwest cities like Chicago or Milwaukee who though our winters were a joke.

Many people (especially from the Western States) don’t realize how quickly the climate changes from Maine down to central/southern Connecticut. I’ve seen many a disappointed transplant from out West or the interior come here with a climate image of Vermont or Maine in their head…then become so angry when it rains (not snow’s) all winter. I’ still say it’s that goofy Gilmore Girls show to blame (lol). Seriously though, it’s one of the reasons I think it’s climatically foolish to include Connecticut with the New England states. One look at the zone map and you can see….there is very little “New England” about Connecticut’s climate.

But you know myths…….they die hard..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:56 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
That Trachy Wag I bought many years ago from a grower in the San Diego area (1997)

It was in the ground in the mild winter of 1997-98- till 1999-200, when I moved then potted again, and put back in the ground in 2006. I fertilize lightly-- It faces directly south in a protected position.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:46 PM
sor

14 posts, read 63,098 times
taxes do you pay local and county taxes?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
We have a state income tax, a state sales tax of 6 percent, and town/city real and personal property taxes. Some towns/cities have like Middletown and Watertown have district taxes that are in addition to the town's/city's regular taxes.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Connecticut does not have any county governments, just towns (or cities) and the State. The state is so small and all of the state is divided up into towns that there are no "unincorporated" areas, so there is no need for a level of government at the county level. We do divide our state into counties for geographical purposes but not for much else. So to answer your question, there are no county taxes, just local taxes on properties. Jay

Old 07-18-2008, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 48,109 times
You might want to check out Yale, New Haven (close to Madison and Clinton areas) or Bridgeport or Norwalk hospitals (close to Wilton, Ridgefield, Westport or Fairfield). Housing will be cheaper in Madison/Clinton (New Haven county) than in Fairfield but Fairfield county is closer to NYC. You won't need a private school in CT if you get into the right school district. You shouldn't have any issues other than finding that much house for that much money. You might have to compromise by getting less house or moving further inland. I moved up from Georgia 3 years ago and love it here. There are beaches everywhere, charming new england towns, its close to NYC, there is culture and friendly intellegent people. Yes, some people can be uppitty but isn't that true everywhere you go? Parents at my son's school are working class people - mostly all down to earth. I can't even being to tell you how great his school is and its public. I would have been paying over $15k a year for private in Georgia that would not be as good as the public schools here. I still rent but I'm starting to glance around as prices drop. I highly recommend others to rent when making such a drastic move. You might not like it here and then you'll be stuck with a house. I'm still paranoid to drive in snow but I love it! Last few years it snowed hard maybe once or twice a year - mostly its was a dusting to a few inches - seems like most of the deeper snow went inland. When it snows the plows are out sanding right away so the roads are better here in a big snowstorm than they were in Georgia with a half inch of snow. I prefer the cold as opposed to hot and humid. I'm out all the time even when its cold - not sure why others are so affected by shorter winter days - perhaps they live in a more isolated rural area. Yeah, its true it gets darker eariler in the winter but I compensate but doing more active stuff during the day and going to events or places in the evenings that are indoors (sports, classes, etc) where people are. What I'm saying is you have to work a bit at keeping busy in the winter months - a event planner is not going to knock on your door with an itnerary. I work in Westport and live in Fairfield close to towns - there is so much going here on all the time but I take time to research what's going on mulitple local websites.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:27 PM

23 posts, read 78,430 times
Vviolin,

I got a chance to read through your posts and I'm going "wow!!"

I think you put it really really nicely.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,404 times
If you are still looking please reply.

I have a beautiful home in East Granby, Ct. which our children are presently renting.
They have been transferred to Fl. leaving Aug. 3rd.

The school is excellent and the people across the street are also mixed, and have a
little adopted Asian girl.

It has beautiful grounds, with deer and wild turkeys visiting occasionally.

It is a builders home, with many extras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut