Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 9,040 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We've just moved to Branford and are so excited to be here. I'm wondering if anyone could give me info about any beaches nearby and how to access them (I read something about needing permits??). We're willing to drive - they don't just have to be in Branford. I'd love any info at all. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 09:55 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,015 times
The beaches vary around the state, but are all relatively nice. There are a few in particular that I enjoy:

Hammonassett State Beach in Madison, CT.
Soundview Beach in Old Lyme, CT
Rocky Neck State Park in East Lyme, CT
Waterford Town beach in Waterford, CT
Ocean Beach in New London, CT

and for Rhode Island...

Misquamicut State Beach in Westerly, RI
Scarborough State Beach in Narragansett, RI
Roger Wheeler State Beach in Narragansett, RI

As for permits, you don't need any to enter the state public beaches which are listed above...there is an entry fee that you will pay at the gate, and sometimes to park. The prices are cheaper for CT residents in CT but more expensive for CT residents in RI. Hope this helps, and hope you get out to enjoy these beautiful beaches!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:05 AM

33 posts, read 147,155 times
I love Hammonassett in particular...some awesome choices listed above.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:25 AM

49 posts, read 200,100 times
the only one I've been to of those listed above is Hammonassett, which is quite nice, but if you do want to stay in Branford there aren't any large beaches like Hammonassett, but there is Branford Point off of Harbor Street. all you have to do is get a resident sticker ($5 at town hall good for a year or two. all you need to get it is you're license and registration showing that you are a Branford resident, so once both are in your new Branford address you can get one. it gives you access to parking at Branford Point, Foote Park, and other things. I think they have more info as to what benefits there are to having a resident sticker). There is also a tiny (and when I say I tiny, I'm not exaggerating. lol) beach in Stony Creek. no permit needed for parking or access to the beach, but parking is at a premium in Stony Creek. unless you're lucky enough to know someone that lives down there where you could park at their house, parking is limited to street parking (some parallel parking along the street, and as you go past the beach toward the dock where the Thimble Islands tour boats launch from there is some perpendicular parking).

welcome to Branford, btw. I'm a lifelong resident and I love it. I'm sure you will to.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 9,040 times
Wow - thanks so much for this info. I will definitely check some of those out. Thanks!!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 PM

49 posts, read 200,100 times
not a problem. they're not much, but they're what Branford has. enjoy our wonderful town!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,281 times
Welcome to Branford. If you have little ones, please check out the Branford MOMs club to meet other moms and kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut